The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kitty with severe anemia?

Long story short, my 18 month old kitty Bert landed in critical care dept. of our nearest specialty clinic with severe anemia (PCV volume of 10) and jaundice.

They did a blood transfusion yesterday along with fluids, started treating for hemobartonella (sp?) did an x-ray, etc.

My concern right now is the vet said this morning that her PCV only rose to 11, and they were concerned that she was non regenerative per her CBC.

She is staying tonight and they will be repeating the CBC for morning to see is she is regenerating the red blood cells.

Has anyone else experienced this with their cats? Any info is appreciated!

No info for you just hoping all goes well for you and Bert.

Thank you for the well wishes, they are much appreciated. I'm so worried for her, I'm pretty shell shocked right now.

More jingles. Lost two kitties to hemobartonella but that was in the 70's but understand they now have a treatment for it.

Add some Texas-sized jingles!

I am so sorry that your Bert is going through this. I hope that things improve and he is all right.

My kitties will join me in jingling hard for your little guy.

I don't have any information on this medical condition but BIG jingles from me and my 4 kitties! Hoping for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

My CRF cat had anemia. My vet prescribed Epogen, which definitely helped her for a while, her values improved. Perhaps it is an option here for you. Good luck.

Thank you for all the jingles! Bert and I really appreciate them.

She is now home. Her CBC came back this morning still showing non regenerating and PCV still at 10. They are treating her with Doxy and Presnisolone, but the prevailing opinion is a bone marrow issue. She is FeLV neg, but apparently it can lurk undetected in the marrow, among other ugly nontreatable nasties.

I did ask about the Epogen, but because her kidney's are working fine the vet said it wouldn't work for her. Thank you for that idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by PrimroseM View Post
    Thank you for all the jingles! Bert and I really appreciate them.

She is now home. Her CBC came back this morning still showing non regenerating and PCV still at 10. They are treating her with Doxy and Presnisolone, but the prevailing opinion is a bone marrow issue. She is FeLV neg, but apparently it can lurk undetected in the marrow, among other ugly nontreatable nasties.

I did ask about the Epogen, but because her kidney's are working fine the vet said it wouldn't work for her. Thank you for that idea though!
    Im so sorry you are having to deal with this. Jingles for a full recovery.

I know its very rare in cats, but have they considered IMHA?

We have seen a few kitties in recently with Panleukopenia, this also drops their PCV but they are usually quite lethargic/ill as well.

Please keep us posted, we will continue to send positive thoughts your way!

They haven't mentioned IMHA directly, but referenced it. I think that's why they started the Prednisolone.

Her blood work doesn't indicate Panleuk, but that was a great thought.

Everything I've heard and read is the medicine can take 5-7 days to kick in, which is why we did the transfusion. Unfortunately, it failed (don't know if she rejected it even though they blood typed or the disease did it). She is also apparently a very rare blood type (B) and they only had one unit. They could only find one other unit of B among their various sources, but since she rejected the first they didn't want to try with a second.

So, at this point I'm praying she can hang on long enough for the medicine to kick in. She is very, very ill but not in distress.

I'm still hoping for a miracle.

Double post. Sorry!