The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jumper Barns around South Calgary?

I am looking for recommendations for barns around south Calgary. Preferably no farther of a drive then about 20 minutes from Shawnessy/Midnapore/Chaparral area. Gold Level Show barn
    A place with good pasture board would be preferred as my horse is currently turned out but I may eventually do indoor board again with him.
    Trainer with experience instructing riders in 1.20m+ jumpers. Prefer a trainer that can ride.
    Costs: No more than 1000 a month for board

Any suggestions would be great!!
    Posting as an alternate as people don't need to know i am possibly looking yet.
    Last edited by The Alternate; Jan. 10, 2014 at 09:34 PM.

I would recommend Roxbury, I have only dealt with her selling horses but her customers all seem super that I have seen and she finds nice horses for not so much money. Her students do well at the shows and I know she is very fair with her fees.
    See our website www.kvf.ca or like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/KlondikeVictoryFarm?ref=stream

Thanks.
    Last edited by The Alternate; Jan. 10, 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I don't know board prices off the top of my head, but I second Roxbury, also Concorde (Lynn Stephenson) and Jim Ifko. I REALLY like Jim. Caryl is a lovely woman - I've never ridden with her, but her daughter rides very well and so do the clients of hers that I've seen. I think their barn is a bit smaller, if you like that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    I don't know board prices off the top of my head, but I second Roxbury, also Concorde (Lynn Stephenson) and Jim Ifko. I REALLY like Jim. Caryl is a lovely woman - I've never ridden with her, but her daughter rides very well and so do the clients of hers that I've seen. I think their barn is a bit smaller, if you like that sort of thing.
    I would second Jim and also he rides in the big classes! Not sure if you can do outdoor board at any of these places though? Lynn also rides in the big classes, but I think she's North of the city!

Also there's Andrew More, although I'm not sure where he's training out of right now?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Thanks guys.

What about Gwen Houtzenger? She's not too far out of town and does hunters and jumpers (some bigger classes)! I'm not sure how many clients she has but I do see her at all the shows with people.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Susan Anderson @ Herradura Farms? She is right beside Derochie Stables. SUPER convenient. Her show record speaks for itself (member of the CET). I don't know is she does outdoor board in the winter but she for sure does it in the summer. Very laid back, excellent rider, still shows.

Caryl is really quite far from where you are looking to commute from. I am from around where she lives. She has moved around facility wise in the last few months/years. I've known her since I was little, she is quite nice. The drive in the winter would be not so much fun!

I'd vouch for Jim Ifko too, he has had great success personally and with students. I also know some very happy friends who are with Trish. Nice to have options!

Thanks guys!

Staying in the Anderson family, what about Bryan?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by The Alternate; Jan. 10, 2014 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alternate View Post
    I have thought of Susan but I am not sure she would be best for my horse as she is very competition focused and my horse is a bit... tricky. I have also heard most people say she is crazy haha. But it may be worth it to check out a lesson or 2 and see what she's actually like.
    A good friend of mine rode with Susan. She wasn't overly competitive. From what she told me, she was not a super hands-on trainer...more one that gave you some stuff to work with and let you figure it out on your own. Not a super structured program. I definitely don't think she's crazy. She's just a very quiet and reserved person - she knows what she's talking about though and has all the experience in the world on the big stage. My friend progressed leaps and bounds with her in just months.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alternate View Post
    Hmm, I don't know him to well, but I saw him competing in the 30's I think at one of the indoor Spruce shows and honestly it was a little scary to watch. I thought he might fall off over each jump and around each turn. Not sure why he was so unstable in the saddle. Maybe his horse is weird to sit. Is he out of Anderson's (anderson's wouldn't work for me), or which barn is he out of?
    I can't speak to his riding ability much as I haven't seen him ride in awhile, but no, he's not at John's. He has some pretty solid students, so I would like to think he knows what's up. Brigitte McDonald was just 4th in the CET at the Royal this year - she rides with him. He's at his own small barn in the same area as John's. Not sure if his barn has a name or if he just goes by Bryan Anderson training or something.

ETA: he was also on the Team with John, Susan and Sandra!

Thanks so much for the info. I think I will check out Susan's and Bryan's place if I can then. Might as well look at all my options!