The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tough-1 Turnouts?

I would like to buy a lightweight fill TO for my older TB mare. I had a nice one but the neck is too big and it will cost too much to alter it (long story). I have hugs but I don't really LOVE the fit or the plastic/stretchy attachments. I narrowed the search down to the Tough-1 1200 200g. Has anyone had experience with these? Do they rub the shoulders? She is the high withered type and has extremely tender skin and other blankets would rub her raw (why I got the hugs). My old original weatherbeata never rubbed but that was a LONG time ago!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

We've had threads on these. General consensus was that they're crap and a waste of money. Perhaps a search will turn up more feedback.

1 members found this post helpful.

They suck. Avoid the entire Tough 1 brand, unless you need to gift one to someone you despise. Truly,anything they make is crapppp.

I had a Tough 1 "waterproof" sheet for my mini and #1) it wasn't waterproof 2) it fit horribly 3) it was very thin- he rolled and put his leg through the side, ripping a hole. However, I also have the fiber-filled winter blanket and that one has been in use for two years and fits well. So I think it's hit or miss on the blankets.

They are junk and wouldn't put one on my horse
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Well to be honest I have had about 6 and I love them! They are one of the few blankets I can get that are warm enough (they come in 500g fill) for our cold -40 temps. SO nice to not have to double blanket! They necks fit snugly and I have not had them rub but then I don't blanket for long lengths of time (maybe up to a week until it warms up again). I have also never had them shift even without the hindleg straps on them and I have used them in the cold spring/fall rains and found them to be nice and dry/warm underneath. I have been very pleased with the ones I have and just ordered another last week.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

A few of us at the barn tried them last year...we all threw them on the first cold, windy rain day. None of the blankets were waterproof (as advertised) and each horse wearing one was shivering under a soaked blanket.

I have the mini one, I have to respray it every year; again, they said it was waterproof but not. My supplier just gave it to me after she did research, and will not carry that brand again. It does *fit* my 33" mini quite well, just not waterproof. Why not get another Weatherbeater? I can pick those up at TSC for under $100 and they last for years.

I've also got a refined horse, whose shoulders are usually too small for most blankets. I either get shoulder darts sewn in or get the high-neck ("Wug") style blankets. They don't slip back and rub like the traditional cuts do. You could also look into Schneiders blankets with the adjustable thing-y at the shoulders.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I purchased one as a blanket liner last year. It never even made it to the barn. The *brand new* blanket stank to high heaven (a really nasty chemical smell) and proceeded to stink up the entire room in a matter of mintues. The underside of the blanket also looked like it was made of a combination of poorly compressed dryer lint and fake wool. Needless to say I sent the stinker back and recieved a full refund.

Yep, what others said. Not waterproof as they claim, I was livid to go into the field one afternoon, to find my old, sick and skinny horse soaking wet and shivering in his brand-new Tough-1 t/o sheet I'd only put on that morning.

They took it back and exchanged it for a Saxon.

I bought a "turtleneck" blanket for one of my mares two years ago. I was buying Rambos for everyone and they didn't have one in her size. I love it! it is stretchy around the neck and fits very nice. Still waterproof!

Thanks everyone. It sure does sound hit or miss on these. It absolutely has to be waterproof here so I guess I'll skip trying one of these. It would be different I guess if they didn't have to be shipped.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

If cost is an issue look into sstack.com duratech line.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

I actually got the medium weight 1200d Tough-1 turnout blanket last year for my project horse, and have been totally happy with it, to my surprise. I live in Oregon and my horse was out a LOT with a pasture buddy in wet weather, and his blanket is waterproof. Another lady in my barn also has one (again the 1200d medium weight) and her horse also stayed dry and warm on rainy days. Not sure why some of their blankets are OK and others are crappy.