The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Recommendations for Large Shoulders/Wide Back/Long Femur (Rider)?

The title says it all. Need recommendations for a long thighed rider and a large shouldered, normal withered wide backed horse.

Default Smith Worthington Saddles

Don't know if you have access to a dealer or to the actual shop in Hartford, CT but you could try Smith Worthington.

Their line, made in England is very nice quality. They also have a line made in Argentine at a lower price point.

Take a look at their web site - just Google Smith Worthington -
    I think they have a list of dealers on the site.

I ride in a saddle similar to "The Trainer" all buffalo leather - I love it.

Well, I LOVE my Devoucoux Makila for my wide backed monster Shouldered Connemara Pony. He has moderate withers. They also have a new saddle out that I got to try--was really ideal for the horse you are describing.

I wanted a Schleese Wave--but they were not able to fit this pony in that model because he needed a completely different tree with swept back points.

My Wise Equestrian dressage saddle, with a gullet change system, works well on my wide backed, low withered mare. I am very long from hip to knee, as well. The flaps are cut a bit more forward, which helps when you have a long femur.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I have the world's longest femur. I didn't really notice this until the 5'10" girl at the barn said so. So I started lining mine up against peeps. Yup, my femur is akin to those 5'10" - 6' tall and I'm only 5'6".

I always had trouble with saddle "rubbing", now my guess is the two are related. I ride in a L'Apogee and LOVE it. Same saddle Silva Martin uses, btw. It comes in 2 "seats" at each size-regular and "short seat". I have the "short seat" which basically moves the sweet spot where you settle in. No rubs ever (well, that one time Janine Malone made me ride sitting/medium trot for 15 straight minutes at a fix-a-test but that's extreme). It's a monoflap so very close contact, and foam flocked, which I was really skeptical about until Kitty (saddle designer) talked to me about it.

My horse is only a medium wide, but considering he's only 15.2 and 1150 lbs, he's wide proportionately. He does not have "huge" shoulders, but he has a very handy front end and really uses those shoulders and goes really well in this saddle.

Website is: www.lasaddles.com
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.