The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Not the best pic of Miss Mare but the only one I can find right now. Pictured at 4 after winning in hand class with 74%
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

As she has matured she has only gotten better but of course I have no delusions that we will be world beaters. but the combo of size substance and brain works well for me. I trail rode her at 4, showed intro level and just had fun with her.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Ok ... now I'm confused. If your mare is pregnant now, she will foal in 2013. But I've only bred "regular" sized horses, so maybe drafts have a much longer gestation period than other horses ...

LOL I AM AN IDIOT! I mean 2013, I put 2014 in all my posts. I am loosing my mind. haha

Your mare seems really awesome, I love how she's pulling tandem. Shows she has a great temperament. My boss has a draft cross that he foxhunts and loves him. I've seen a draft Dutch warmblood cross at one of my dressage clinics, he was a beautiful mover. It can be done, you can have a horse that is sound and stays that way. Drafts were bred to not break down, they were to be worked daily or else they were useless. Anyway, it certainly sounds like you would like a horse that is well rounded (kind of like the old horses of Europe that would plow the fields all week and would get gussied up and show on the weekends). And a draft cross I could see doing this. Too with her unique color, you'd end up with something flashy. Maybe a nice hunter type warmblood stallion. Whatever you decide, you have a nice mare.
    Chicken Fancier

"Mischief Managed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hony View Post
    Clyde/Hackney crosses are called Commercial Horses. You might have better luck finding them if you search that term instead for the cross. They are mostly used for driving.
    My Swedish wb cross is out of a Shady Maple Commercial Cross - he is a 5 yr old homebred that stands 18hh and currently working level 2 - he is outstanding and very talented.

Lots of pics of him at www.prospectequinefarms.com/gallery.htm

1 members found this post helpful.

We have a Belgian/Hanoverian cross here, great tall chestnut, who evented Preliminary until his owner (older gentleman) decided he'd had enough of it. Sound at 17, stays fit on pasture, keeps on hay or pasture alone and requires no "maintenance."

Very capable of winning the dressage, makes 4' look like a lazy jumpshot shooting hoops!

I don't mean to be rude. But the OP was talking about BREEDING.

Clearly, here are many people who have posted who have wonderful crosses. But I'm sure many of those were not the breeders.

Breeding them and finding the good ones to buy are completely different subjects.

That's the rub. Breeding them is really not easy to ensure MOST of them turn out what one wants them to be for sport in dressage or other u/s disciplines where excelling is the goal.

For every draft x that turned out to be really great for the sport you've found it for, there are probably 100 who are not. Maybe more. Clearly, I don't have those statistics.

In breeding it is dangerous to paint it with a broad brush...especially breeding extremely different types. I did well, but then I did NOT paint with a broad brush. And that is why I was successful in that endeavor.

Not sure if I am articulating this well.

5 members found this post helpful.

You're articulating it just fine. I made the same point earlier - that it's a big gamble to breed any horses, much less ones that have such markedly different characteristics. But obviously, I didn't make much of an impression either.

2 members found this post helpful.

There was a couple of broad stroke posts about it being a bad idea because "they don't stay sound". I think the thread went this way as people point out that there is not a 100% failure rate.

I do think that the point has been stated multiple times that this is a particularly hard cross to get right at an F1 level.

I also think as the OP said as much that they are new(er) to dressage, so I'm reading it as more of "Is there a market for intentionally bred draft crosses that is being ignored in dressage?" In my humble opinion, there is a market that will cling to their draft crosses (with the caveat that I own one, but when I bought him, I had no intention of buying a draft cross - your horse often finds you, not the other way around...), but I would not recommend someone get into specifically breeding them for the dressage market, as there are precious few examples of these crosses that are sucessfully reproduced by breeding.

I'm sure this post is clear as mud, as it sounded much better in my head.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rothmpp View Post
    I'm sure this post is clear as mud, as it sounded much better in my head.
    I understand what your saying, and what everyone else is saying too. I understand the pros and cons and I do value everyone's opinion. This would be my own personal horse if I decided to breed, and I love all my horses but this mare is special to me and we really click and hence why I wanted a riding foal from her that could be more versatile. But I have a year to think about what I really want, if I decide to breed then I'd hopefully find something that would cross well but even that's a gamble I know that. And if the right horse comes along then so be it. I do feel like this thread took a turn and has gotten off track, but I do enjoy reading what everyone has to say. I'm still learning in the dressage world.

I think the Mayans were right.

I just agreed entirely with both Equibrit and 2ndyrgal.

Peace out. I gotta go burn some bills and book a trip to Fiji.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I'd love it. But we'd have to be able to add video too I think because, as one poster already observed, static conformation shots are one thing but without movement the assessment is incomplete.

Goodness knows I had no idea what I was looking at when I first started looking for a horse.

Paula
    While I agree that there are certain physical traits that make it easier/possible for a horse to do certain types of work.... we can't forget that the most important thing for dressage is the training/trainability of the horse. .

So, while I am not really a "draft" girl, i cant comment about the feasibility of anything unless i know who the trainer is and who is going to be riding it
    because in the end it is the training that makes or breaks the horse - not the flashy front end or perfect conformation etc.

someone learning dressage should probably not try to learn on a horse with several confo challenges - unless they have access to a really really good trainer.