The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need a lesson barn in Gainesville FL for a child

Hi- Looking for a good lesson barn in Gainesville or nearby for my soon to be 4 year old pony obessed niece. Since I can't be a crazy pony mom, I am looking forward to being a crazy horse show aunt. Grandma who isn't a real animal lover will be the one bringing her, so needs to be someplace clean, with amenities like a viewing room with a/c and where they will tack up the pony until she is big enough to do it on her own.
    Last edited by kimball1; Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

The most small-child-friendly place I know of off hand is Picturesque Farm, just south of Warrenton.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I agree with Janet that Picturesque is very kid friendly. However, reading the title of your thread, I initially thought you were referring to Gainesville FLORIDA. You might want to edit the title to be more specific on the state?

LOL, I also thought Gainesville, FL and after reading the first reply was scratching my head wondering where in the heck Warrenton was and why I'd never heard of Picturesque Farm.

Because it is North Central Florida, not too many places have covered arenas, even fewer have indoors, and even fewer still are facilities that have either and offer lessons. So you might have to settle for a ring or jump field with lots of shade or the ability to park the car next to/in the riding area! I have a farm about 8 minutes from HITS (19 miles from Gainesville), so I can ask around, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. If I come up with anyone, I'll let you know!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Now I'm completely confused. Not an unusual state for me.

I don't know any local place with amenities like an indoor viewing room with A/C. Rolling Acres, maybe? I've never been there so I'm not sure what their facilities are like, but I've heard it's a very nice place.

I am however, familiar with both Twin Oaks Stables (http://www.twinoaksstables.co/) and Wynfield Farms (http://www.wynfieldfarms.com/). I would not hesitate to take a child to either one. I haven't been to Wynfield in quite a while, but if nothing has changed since I was last there, Wynfield has more small ponies but the facilities at Twin Oaks are quite a bit nicer.

My apology. I saw Gainesville, without a state (or a location), I assumed VA.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Wynfield is a great place for kids. I think she has several ponies, or at least did when I was there. Very family like environment. I think they're building a new second barn but not 100% sure about that. They also do kids camps but there may be age limit. I can't think of anywhere that has a.viewing area with a/c unless you're allowed to park a car close and durin your a/c in there