The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

It's not that people "think" a vet won't put down a horse for convenience...it's that they *know* they won't. Polls have been done, research, etc. This isn't an off-the-cuff-for-online-conversation opinion.

It's your opinion that being a dealer is not a real job. Or making lots of money. Both are incorrect. It is a real job (it's not easy...try flipping horses for a living some time. It's a LOT of very hard work) and it's not overly lucrative. There are plenty of things a dealer can be doing to make more or even have benefits.

I haven;t insulted you, I'd appreciate the same in return please. I was a flipper for years.

By stating things in such black and white certaintly despite a lack of experience in the fields...slaughter as it stood had many things wrong with it and wasn't pretty. But it also wasn't the worse fate either. Not by a long shot, unfortunately.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    Then why are there threads on this board every day about what to do with a horse you don't want anymore, and euthanasia is ALWAYS one of the options the owner is considering. The filly that may or may not have UV. The gelding who needs pricey shoes for his rotated coffin bone. Convenience euthanasia?
    No. Try again. A physical condition that impacts quality of life is not a "convenience" euthanasia. And most vets would euthanize in that instance. Especially if they had an on-going business relationship with the owner.

A convenience euthanasia is putting down an animal that has nothing wrong with it, other than having no place to live. Either because the owner just doesn't want it any more or they can't afford it any more.
    Sheilah

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyj79 View Post
    Tim is not a kill buyer, nor is he a meat man. Tim is a trainer and dealer, previously a show jumper, and has run his business out of Stonegate He still has Silvio. The economy is bad, a lot of people are looking to rehome their horses, and I'd rather my horse go to someone like Tim (who has a lovely property) who has clients and a reputation for quality horses (despite, or perhaps because of, his colorful personality). I can name a dozen trash dealers in Virgina that don't get the negative press that Tim does because he's honest.
    Just to clarify, Tim does not train out of StoneGate Stables in Aldie, VA, although we have several babies bred by Silvio, all who are exceptional. We found Tim to be very easy to work with and seemed to care a great deal about the horses. In my opinion, he is legit.

You know, if I ended up with a horse that was way too much for me and wasn't in a position to pay for formal training, I would hope to find someone like this gentleman to send my horse to. I believe that as long as the horse was sound and not nutty, they'd have a decent chance. That being said, I am careful not to get in over my head.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseJunkie View Post
    Just to clarify, Tim does not train out of StoneGate Stables in Aldie, VA, although we have several babies bred by Silvio, all who are exceptional. We found Tim to be very easy to work with and seemed to care a great deal about the horses. In my opinion, he is legit.
    I'm pretty sure that ladyj meant that he used to work out of Stonegate, not that he currently does. She said "and has run his business out of Stonegate" not that he "runs his business out of Stonegate." However, if he never was at Stonegate, then she may be misremembering. I seem to recall him telling us that he ran his business out of Fox Chase as well at one point, but I might be wrong.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

1 members found this post helpful.