The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default CL - seriously?

http://winchester.craigslist.org/grq/3438122386.html

Grabbed the copy in case of deletion.

This is just scary.

<start ad>
    The Horse You Do Not Want (Northern, Va.)

Date: 2012-11-27, 11:48AM EST
    Reply to this post zhsdj-3438122386@sale.craigslist.org

If you have a horse to give away, we will probably come get it. No strings attached. Will NOT take anything less than 4 yrs old. Will not take anything very skinny. Will not take grey horses. Please provide a telephone number and brief description of the horse/horses when responding. Please do not respond if you expect to retain control of the horse after giving it away. Judging by the responses there are a lot of people in your position, please be patient.
    <end ad>
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Why no grey horses, I wonder?
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

Slaughter plants won't take them because of melanoma.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Slaughter plants won't take them because of melanoma.
    Bingo. Could the ad more clearly say "Hi, I am the meatman? Here's my number if you want your horse sold for slaughter."
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

7 members found this post helpful.

Valley Proteins is located in Winchester.

http://valleyproteins.com/

The poster of that ad is named Tim Daly. Says he never sent a horse to slaughter.
    Probably sends them to auction, where they are then bought for slaughter.
    Anyone in the area know who Tim Daly is?

He may just be a filp man. Train and flip that is why he wants full ownership. If he has the time and space .. go for it. It does sound like he chooses which ones to take in which is why he says none under 4 (wants to be able to have them undersaddle) can't have them skinny (again has to be ready to start work) and no greys. Melo is most likely the factor in that thought

Tim Daly has had Silvio. He's in Middleburg VA. He also may be a Hunter judge

Here is a thread that talks about his stallion

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...t-(VA-)-Silvio
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

There is a Tim Daly Stables in Middleburg, which is just up the road from Winchester.

There is a guy here in NoCo who posts ads like that. They get flagged pretty quick. Supposedly he is a known KB.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

He's been banned TWICE from COTH.

4 members found this post helpful.

He emailed me back. Assuming he is the person he says he is, he retrains about 15 horses per yr, and sells them. He says he doesn't want grey horses because they are too hard to keep clean, and doesn't want skinny horses because people end up calling AC on him when they are in pasture, and then AC requires him to get a vet check done on the horse.

Lookmanohands- Is it Tim Daly that you are saying has been banned from COTH twice? If so, why?

There was a book I read a long time ago that said that grey horses were the ones you WANTED if you were flipping them. It's been my experience that grey horses sell better (as well as nice bays with lots of chrome) as well. Chestnuts have been the hardest to sell. It was a strange book, it also outlined how to "look professional" and how to increase prices by having grooming tools freely available and nameplates on stalls. At least that's how I recall the book.

Anywho - I doubt he's actually flipping, although it's a good market for it. He's a meatman. You can see the "con" through the "we have a long list". It's trying to assuage guilt. If you didn't ask (which no one has), it's an empty promise.

5 members found this post helpful.

There's also nothing in the ad about the horse being sound - just over 4, not skinny and not grey.

And it's not like he has to constantly keep a grey clean. If he's training and flipping, he only has to clean it once it's on the market. I agree, he's a meatman.

But at least he's not promising it a loving forever home like some scammers. If you're willing to give up your horse to a random "sit tight, we'll get to yours eventually" ad, you have to suspect what's going to happen.

4 members found this post helpful.

And on top of soundness, no mention of Western or English going...

Sure you could google the phone or email and see if it is indeed a trainer or an end-of-the-road kill-buyer type. Sad.

1 members found this post helpful.

I suspect that it's not an end of the road, but a consignor. Even though they are cheap now - you can still make your money hauling the free ones to the sale and not caring who buys them. It's not pretty, but it's there.

Tim is not a kill buyer, nor is he a meat man. Tim is a trainer and dealer, previously a show jumper, and has run his business out of Stonegate He still has Silvio. The economy is bad, a lot of people are looking to rehome their horses, and I'd rather my horse go to someone like Tim (who has a lovely property) who has clients and a reputation for quality horses (despite, or perhaps because of, his colorful personality). I can name a dozen trash dealers in Virgina that don't get the negative press that Tim does because he's honest.

6 members found this post helpful.

What does he do with the horses that don't work out?

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    What does he do with the horses that don't work out?
    Ditto this question.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I agree that at least his adds appear to be honest...he wants complete control and makes no promises. There is a lot to be said for that. I don't know anything about him except what I have readhere. I will be curious to hear what happens to the ones who don't work out.

1 members found this post helpful.