The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oldenburg values?

I'm considering taking my unpapered OTTB project mare through the Oldenburg inspection process next year (when she will be 5) (or any other open book sport horse association you might suggest).

In your experience, how much would this affect resale value for her?

(She should be going solid training level and dabbling in first level next year, and has a little beginner novice eventing experience).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Sorry - afraid it would NOT effect her value since she has no papers so would never be approved Oldenburg (or any other European registery). The only effect it would have is you would have a written record of a professionals evaluation of her confirmation and way of moving (and height).

Personally I would not spend the money. Better to spend it on more under saddle work.
    Sandy in Fla.

2 members found this post helpful.

I would be a little surprised if the Oldenburgs would inspect an unpapered mare, but I could be wrong. Be a little careful what you wish for. If your goal is increased resale value and she washes out of the inspection, her value goes down. It's hard to sell an unproven mare (no babies on the ground) to an experienced breeder. Also, many serious WB breeders prefer a WB mare with known pedigree. The breeder wants to be able to anticipate how a particular cross might pan out. You might be better off focusing on the kind of training and experience which would make the mare valuable to an amateur rider.

Oldenburg does in fact inspect unpapered mares, but they are always placed in the lowest mare book (Pre-Mare Book II) due to lack of proveable pedigree. Their foals by approved stallions are eligible for regular registration papers, but not eligible for premium foal awards, and the colts are not eligible for consideration as stallions, plus it will take 4 generations for filly descendants to work their way up to Main Mare Book status.

That said, the fact that an unregistered mare is approved into the lowest mare book most likely will NOT affect her market value, so it would probably be a waste of time and money to get her inspected. The only caveat would be if she was in foal to a big gun stallion whose foals are always in demand - and there aren't too many of those stallions around.

I would instead try to get the JC papers. If she's an OTTB she's papered, you just don't have it - but with her tattoo you should be able to tell who she is and see if you can track down her papers somehow.

If she's really nice a breeder will be able to tell her quality and having the JC papers will be of more benefit, because then she'd be eligible for their registry of choice. She would also be eligible for the TB All Breed awards through USDF then, so I think it would make a bigger difference.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

What netg said. She's NOT unpapered if she was OTTB! I could be wrong, but I think some of the WB registries just need a copy of the papers/bloodlines. It would be worth looking into anyway.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

To identify the mare, you can start with her tattoo.
    My OTTB gelding had a not-terribly-clear tattoo, I manipulated the photo (contrast, lighting, etc) in photoshop and was able to identify my horse.

Once you know the mare's registration number, you can find her last contacts at the track, and possibly also her papers.

Down Yonder and netg are correct. Having had a OTTB mare registered Oldenburg I can tell you being registered with ISR/Oldenburg or any other open book registry is an advantage if you plan on selling her as a broodmare, and your success is enhanced if she has had a registered foal, especially if it was a premium foal. Also if you plan on breeding her to a warmblood, your selection of stallions to use will be much better if she is registered with a warmblood registry. Even if you get her papers she still has to pass the inspection to be accepted into the Main Mare book. Also remember, there are a LOT of very nice TB mares, who have had premium foals out there and TB broodmare prices are not going to be very high. If you don't plan on breeding, save your money and time.

Thanks for all the feedback. She is tattooed and positively identified with a racing record and confirmed pedigree, but came to me without the actual JC
    papers. I'm was just wondering if it would be worth the time and expense to a) try to track down her JC papers from the original breeder; and b) take her through an Oldenburg inspection.
    Last edited by Erzsi; Nov. 28, 2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: addn

I think there is some confusion about the insepction process. She would not be inspected to be REGISTERED Oldenburg, she would be inspected for breeding APPROVAL. Old NA will inspect and approve an unregistered mare (so will RPSI and AWS) - this is approval for breeding. The resulting foal (from breeding) by an approved stallion would be registered as ISR.

And agree, if she's OTTB, you should be able to track down her papers. If she never made it to the track (I had one of those), then you can still get her registered, but JC is ridiculous, and it is $2,500 to register an adult horse - not worth the $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Erzsi View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. She is tattooed and positively identified with a racing record and confirmed pedigree, but came to me without the actual JC
    papers. I'm was just wondering if it would be worth the time and expense to a) try to track down her JC papers from the original breeder; and b) take her through an Oldenburg inspection.
    It depends on how much work it takes to get her papers, then I'd think about having her inspected/approved ISR. Even still, IMO its not worth it to have her approved only for resale value as it won't add a significant sum of $ (like I said, IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by rideastar View Post
    Down Yonder and netg are correct. Having had a OTTB mare registered Oldenburg I can tell you being registered with ISR/Oldenburg or any other open book registry is an advantage if you plan on selling her as a broodmare, and your success is enhanced if she has had a registered foal, especially if it was a premium foal.
    Just to clarify - your OTTB mare is not "registered" Oldenburg. She is registered as a TB.

Will also point out that OHBS/GOV is the official arm of the Oldenburg Verband in North America. ISR/ONA is a completely separate (and privately owned) registry with no affiliation or official status with the Oldenburg Verband.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Just to clarify - your OTTB mare is not "registered" Oldenburg. She is registered as a TB.

Will also point out that OHBS/GOV is the official arm of the Oldenburg Verband in North America. ISR/ONA is a completely separate (and privately owned) registry with no affiliation or official status with the Oldenburg Verband.
    Yes, sorry, I should have clarified that too! Totally different registries - and GOV tends to be more selective then NA. I see a lot more of the NA inspections out here - seems like there are 2 or 3 within driving distance every year.

And yes, the point of APPROVAL vs. REGISTRATION is relevant with all the registries So no matter which path you (OP) goes, the horse will not be an Oldenburg, she may be approved for breeding with Oldenburg.

I think the JC papers would be more valuable than an ISR approval, besides the fact if you get them she'd be eligible for Old, GOV, etc. If it's a horse someone would consider breeding, having the pedigree is important.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Get her Jockey Club papers--she's registered, it sounds like, but you just don't have the physical papers, right? You can get a duplicate copy from the Jockey Club--info here. It only costs $150 to get duplicate papers if she is registered.

If she's a well bred TB, the 150$ investment will be worth it to show to buyers, other registries etc.
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

1 members found this post helpful.