The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is there ANY chance they bred the mare while they had her?

This entire thing seems really odd to me. Have you asked the vet for just the injection schedule and general injection information that they were using on her. Why, for the good of the pony, could they not at least give you that information.

It does seem strange to me that they would have any objection, for any reason in this regard. I think somethings up. JMO
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

We have emailed them asking for just basic information on what was injected and when, so we can continue on the schedule. We have also left messages, which have been ignored. I totally understand them not wanting to release any information due to the fact that they paid for the info, but they should tell us basic information and just respond! We were not trying to go behind their back, but we have been continuously ignored, and like talkofthetown, were not aware that whoever pays owns the record. We have emailed saying that it is okay if they do not want to release them, but if they could just give us the gist of what injections they did. It was in the lease that they were supposed to inform us of any non routine care, which they did not comply. We are not out to get them or mad. What's done is done, no changing anything now. Just interested in what we don't know. They took excellent care of the pony throughout lease, but it is concerning of why they will not answer our basic questions on her past maitence care. If nothing changes we have no problem having a pre purchase type exam, it is just somewhat annoying to be in the dark on your own horse. I realize we leased her, and this was a risk...you live and you learn!

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugsbw View Post
    It was in the lease that they were supposed to inform us of any non routine care, which they did not comply.
    If this was in their lease, they need to provide the records of anything other than shots, etc.

I would send them a registered letter with a copy of the lease that highlights that clause. If that doesn't work, it might be time to have an attorney send them a letter.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Well, now you know why they're being uncooperative. They didn't disclose non-routine care and they don't want you to know the scope of that non disclosure.

Why not just get a complete exam of the pony now from your own vet and go from there? If you had just bought her, you wouldn't necessarily know every scrap of her history. Sure, it'd be SUPER to have all those vet records from the lease period but you don't NEED them necessarily. See what your vet says, inject what comes up as needing injected, and go from there. You don't necessarily NEED to keep injecting things just because the lessor injected them. Have the pony evaluated, put her in work, and maintain her from there just as you would has she never been leased.

And, in the future, if you want to see the records, make that a condition of the lease.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    If this was in their lease, they need to provide the records of anything other than shots, etc.

I would send them a registered letter with a copy of the lease that highlights that clause. If that doesn't work, it might be time to have an attorney send them a letter.
    Even if the lease says they had to disclose non-routine care (and how is routine care defined in the lease) that does not equate to an obligation to release vet records. Disclosure could have been as simple as an email saying "pony twisted an ankle and we used Surpass on her." If the lease didn't obligate the disclosure of records, OP doesn't have solid ground to now demand them.
    ~Veronica

Since you have asked nicely and have been ignored, a call from your lawyer might produce the info, especially since they are in breech of contract by not telling you about non-routine stuff.

I still wonder if you are being ignored or just not a top priority. Did they board when they had your pony? Can you call the BO and ask "is everything OK with Suzie and Jill, I have been trying to get in touch with them and they have not gotten back to me"?
    If you then find out you are truly being ignored I say do what VXF said above, look at her medical history as if you just bought her and go from there.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd send a certified letter.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

It was in the lease that they were supposed to inform us of any non routine care, which they did not comply.
    If they did not comply, how do you know there was any non routine care? What would be considered routine and non routine anyway?
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

After the lease they mentioned two times she had emergency care, just in casual conversation. We saw them fairly frequently at shows and pony club functions, so no breeding of course. I am not trying to point fingers at them for anything, we really just wanted to see what was done and when for her. I trust that they did not do anything harmful of the horse, like I said they take excellent care of their horses. I think she is holding the records because she can, she is just the type of person to do that because she knows it makes it difficult for us. Like I said, its incredibly frustrating, but honestly I don't know what else to do. I really do not want to create any drama with them over this. It just leaves me wondering..

We are not out to get them or mad.
    Did you make this part clear to them? I know you mentioned that you sent friendly emails, but they might still worry that you ARE mad. Maybe thinking that you found something wrong with pony, so they are now hesitant to release records in case you're trying to pin something on them? I don't know, that's not an excuse to ignore you, just trying to play devil's advocate here.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

[QUOTE=ladybugsbw;6691797]After the lease they mentioned two times she had emergency care, just in casual conversation. /QUOTE]

Did the lease stipulate the form and timing of the notification? It is possible that they felt this was sufficient.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

[QUOTE=RockinHorse;6691823]
    After the lease they mentioned two times she had emergency care, just in casual conversation. /QUOTE]

Did the lease stipulate the form and timing of the notification? It is possible that they felt this was sufficient.
    Or not even just that they felt it. It's possible this WAS sufficient notification under the lease...
    ~Veronica

I still feel that the OP (and others) want to know WHY she won't release the records, in addition to the WHAT might be on them.

It's HER pony. Yes, the person leasing paid for them, but why not release the records? There seems to be three possible scenarios: they are trying to hide something for xyz reason, they know they can and are doing it to cause problems with the OP (as mentioned by the OP), or they are some sort of stickler for the law and all that. If there are other reasons, maybe someone can shed light on that?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I have to wonder if they DID have vet care for the pony. Not that they did anything wrong.. but maybe they simply didn't do any vet care except for those two emergency calls.

My mom buys her meds online for vaccinations, so there would be no vet record for vaccinations. If they were doing injections maybe they did the injections themselves?

So on the flip side of this coin is they don't want to release the records to you because there are none but for those two calls they told you about.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Do you know the emails are getting there? Things do get lost in cyber space. People frequently stop checking one email account or another. All kinds of reasons.
    Why not call up the people who leased your pony and explain all you would really like is the injection history so you can properly continue these injections.
    This^
    Call again to let them know you are following up on earlier emails. Also encourage them to check their junk or spam email folder and tell them your email address.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by KSquared View Post
    I have to wonder if they DID have vet care for the pony. Not that they did anything wrong.. but maybe they simply didn't do any vet care except for those two emergency calls.

My mom buys her meds online for vaccinations, so there would be no vet record for vaccinations. If they were doing injections maybe they did the injections themselves?

So on the flip side of this coin is they don't want to release the records to you because there are none but for those two calls they told you about.
    Good point.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

I wouldn't have any vet records on either of my horses as I simply have not needed a vet. One is new horse that was a rescue straight from the Livestock Inspector. No records on him, not even a coggins or Health Cert.

My Mare I got from TN. So she has a Coggins and a Health cert, but nothing in the state of NM as I have not ever needed a vet for her. - doing some serious knocking on wood-

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    Whoever pays owns the records.
    This!

I leased a horse and had to provide written authorization to the vet's office so the owners could get the records once the lease ended.

It's odd that the leasing party is not releasing the records and it makes me wonder if they are hiding something (lack of care stipulated on your lease contract?). Hopefully you can work something out with them!