The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So...tell me all the reasons? this wouldn't work?

Right now, only one horse plus one mini at 'home'. So, I don't need huge hay amounts 'put out'

I've got a run in (matted) where I can position the slow feed hay nets, but its of course 'limited' to the run in. I'd like to have something 'moveable' to position in the outer paddocks and move it to wherever one, the other, or both are turned out on the 'good weather' days.

So, currently, I just drag out a muck tub and drag it back in at dusk or rain even, etc, etc.

I'm seriously considering:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...rt-7-1-2-cu-ft

to utilize a large full bale slow feed haynet 'inside' and be able to walk it out, and walk it back into protection at the close of the day/when rain event comes up....

yes, I'd find a way to maybe do thin ply screwed together over the 'wheel' centers so no scarey openings for a hoof...same as close up the 'handle' openings in the possible instance it might get tipped/etc. for the same reasons.

would probably have a 'wheel lock' option added to secure it from rolling.

I'd expect as well? to probably? drill some holes to thread an eye screw/bolt at top of back end, and front end to use double snaps to secure bale hay net inside.....

If I found?it also required bottom holes drilled for water run out, I'd do that as well, but I 'intend' to always bring it in for any rain event...

ok...lemme know? why you feel this isn't safe or a good idea, as I may be WAY off course!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

That cart seems to have numerous ways to fail. If the muck bucket works now, get a hand cart to make it easier to move around.

I'd get something like like this and use it to push both the muck bucket and hay net out.

It'll let you keep using the muck bucket out in the pastures, with less back strain than the design you posted. It'll also be more versatile than a hand cart in the long run.

Halt: I'm after something with no lifting....take it out...bring it back...but, I agree the cart would be heavier...(however, was kinda counting on that for less 'topple over' that horses can do as in: to the muck tub. its way too 'light'.
    consider the 'hay feeders' that are on 'skids' .....but I don't want to drag one.

Fred: I'll consider the same as you mentioned...but again, the muck tubs 'can' work, but they can tip them over so fast. I may simply have to put a cinerblock in the bottom of it, and use a dolly or a muck tub cart to haul it out...and, yet, again: there is heavy lifting involved vs. just wheeling it out.....
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Hand carts are much cheaper and wouldn't involve lifting the muck bucket. Roll up to the bucket, shove the lip under, bungee in place, and off you go. I'm all for ways to protect the back, I certainly manage to hurt it in other ways. LOL!

Well, I LOVE my rubbermaid cart and couldn't live without it (although Home Depot has a better price than TSC) but I wouldn't leave it out for the horses to chew on and kick around at all. At my last boarding barn, we left the cart in the alley in front of our fields, and while there weren't usually horses in there, sometimes the owners would open it up to let their herd graze or to allow them access to another field. The horses did chew on the tires and wind up cracking the lip of the cart.

The hand cart makes a lot more sense here.

How about using a water trough and put that on wheels so it is moveable?

I'm thinking of some casters that could be mounted underneath and "chocked" into place so it won't roll around?

1 members found this post helpful.

I second the hand cart and muck tub idea. You should be able to just slide the full muck tub off the cart, and it will be lighter when you need to put it back on if the horses are doing their job!

Even if you manage some sort of wheel locks or chocks, a wheelbarrow in the field just doesn't seem that safe or stable to me...too many places for legs to get caught. But maybe it depends on your horses too! My 2-year-old would flip that thing over in a minute but they're not all like that.

Is moving the hay from place to place a necessity? You could think about making a more permanent outdoor feeding site. If you're worried about mud, I had the same issue so I put down a circular pad of CR6. The Slow Grazer sits in the middle and I just cover it with a tarp when it rains. Of course it all depends on your area and your needs. Here even moving the hay spot every 2 days or so would just result in a series of mud spots at certain times of the year, which is why I went for a more permanent setup.

Agree with creating a mud-proof pad and the hay feeders just stay there.
    ETA: that said, I have inverted tractor tires for hay bins. Indestructible, safe, and I just tip them up on their sides to roll into a new place in the paddock. But they're not exactly classy looking.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

I was gonna say water trough too! Like this...

http://tufftubs.com/htdocs/plinoval.htm

Or

http://tufftubs.com/htdocs/mixingtub.htm

Much cheaper, light weight to move around and at thos prices you could easily do more than one.

My guys pull the hay out of anything shallow. They will climb in a shallow water trough and would delight in pulling the wheels off a wheelbarrow. They love new toys. I just got a Sioux poly hay feeder. So far, my big boys have not destroyed it. It is light weight, but not easy to move. The sides are high enough that they are not putting their feet in it or tossing out the hay.

I did something similar for water last summer for one of my grazing paddocks. It worked quite well. Filled 2 wheeled cart with water then pushed out to where I needed it. Will have better system this summer but I was pleased with my inginuity and the fact it was buckets in many trips.
    I am just one person. I cannot do everything. But I can make a difference. And I can have fun doing so!