The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HOT pony hunter

I have an older (14) pony hunter who has perfect flatwork but gets revved up when jumping. He buries his head in his chest and just takes you to the jump. As he goes, one would think he would get worn out, but the more he jumps, the faster he gets. Any tips?? I've tried stopping him in the middle of a line, but it is literally in possible! I don't know what to do! Any feedback would mean a lot!

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Go to jumperland. He might flat like a hunter and jump like a cute hunter, but if he doesn't want to go like a hunter over fences, he's probably not a hunter. Why spend your time frying both your brains trying to make him do something he clearly doesn't naturally do?

Pony jumper land is funner anyways.

8 members found this post helpful.

Are you sure you're not adding to the problem? I don't mean that to be insulting. My daughter's pony flats very quietly, but when they start to jump, the pony starts to run. By switching riders, we quickly found out that my daughter is unintentionally legging the pony off the ground.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    Are you sure you're not adding to the problem? I don't mean that to be insulting. My daughter's pony flats very quietly, but when they start to jump, the pony starts to run. By switching riders, we quickly found out that my daughter is unintentionally legging the pony off the ground.
    That was my other thought...is this a previously successful pony hunter that is only now acting like this? If so, it might be such that you are clamping your leg, or just doing something that is causing the pony to get very worked up. Some ponies require a very specific ride to go well, and you might not have figured that ride out yet.

It doesn't mean you're a bad rider or you won't ever be able to ride the pony, but is there someone else (a smaller trainer or experienced teen) in the barn that you can put on the pony a few times to see if he'll go any better?

We have put other kids on him and he does the same thing. I'm actually a very quiet rider because I have a pony jumper and I'm the only one he will go quietly for, which is why we are having a hard time selling him! We have heard rumors that he may have been crashed in his past. Maybe that could be the problem because he has anxiety when he jumps. Does anyone have any tips IF he did crash? Any techniques to get their confidence back?

Go slow and jump small. Trot fences, set trot poles into fences, just do single fences so he doesn't lock on down the line, halt after each fence, pat walk away. Then introduce bending lines with a halt between, then work your way back up to regular lines. Make jumping boring for him. Trot the fence, turn, circle don't go to the fence until he relaxes again.

Also, its definitely not a pain thing? If he flats quietly it may be hurting him to jump so he becomes anxious about it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Would his owners be willing to have a vet look at him? Sore back right under the cantle is common in Ponies and they will try to run away from the pain every time they land. he may also need some work done on his hocks to make him more comfortable.

It's hard when they are not yours but...there is no "magic bullet" here for this old Pony with a bunch of bad habits that are likely the result of bad riding. If he is hurting and has gotten scared by too many crashes? Not even sure it can be fixed. If he is good on the flat? I'd ride him on the flat...there is a good chance he was 14 some time back. Maybe he is trying to tell everybody he is done with his jumping career and wants to be a flatwork Pony?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'd be looking at pain first. They'll tend to run if they associate jumping with pain. Get it over and done with quicker, sorta thing.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Cavalettis
    Poles between small jumps
    Trot in and canter out lines
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

I can't offer any advice as to how to improve your pony's jumping in the hunter world, but I can offer this perspective:

I'm a 50 something shorter petite adult who owns a beautiful quarter horse mare. I bought her as a coming 4 year old do to low level dressage, pleasure riding, trails, anything but jumping because I don't like it. Turns out she LOVES to jump and can canter a lovely, steady hunter course. Also turns out she does not like dressage and flat arena work (she does love trails, however) So now I part lease her to a teenager who loves jumping as well and they have a blast together.

I've been toying with selling her for several years now (I've owned her for almost 6 years), even though I love her to pieces, because of our conflicting passions. If I can bring myself to do this, I would be looking for a pony such as your Hot Jumping Pony--one that doesn't like jumping but prefers, and excels at, flat work.

From what I see in my dream horse searches, ponies like yours seem hard to find. I don't need a fancy dressage pony, and most of the ponies that I see on line are heavily marketed as hunter-jumper ponies. Ponies and jumping just seem to go hand in hand.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here. If it turns out your pony just does not like jumping anymore, I just wanted to add my story to let you know that there may be other markets for him.

Check out pain issues first. If nothing there I'd go to ground poles first. See how he does over a course of just ground poles. If he still rushes it start there and work on that until he can relax. If you can't get relaxation over ground poles with work he may not like jumping anymore and wants to bulldoze through it to get it done and over with. Maybe he's a dressage pony now lol. If he goes well over ground poles move up to cavaLettis and start over and work your way up. Start with trotting until he is relaxed and then go to canter.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Great suggestions above. Every time you try to halt in a line & he ignores you, you've reinforced the idea that its just fine to ignore his rider if he chooses so it may take a little longer to resolve now.

Try canter in/trot out lines. NEVER let him jump at a faster pace than you ask for. If you ask him to trot & he ignores you-circle as many times as it takes to get a somewhat sensible trot, then go to the next jump. Make the decision early. Better an unnecessary circle than disobedience over a jump. You can start this by making the out a tiny cross rail so there's absolutely nothing to get excited about. If he wants to gallop away from the out-stop straight. That may mean a few cold days where you're jumping a course doing a few circles between every jump and stopping straight after every line. That's totally fine. You'll be teaching the pony that his job isn't just to jump, its to listen to his rider.

Quote Originally Posted by ponykid96 View Post
    I have an older (14) pony hunter who has perfect flatwork but gets revved up when jumping. He buries his head in his chest and just takes you to the jump. As he goes, one would think he would get worn out, but the more he jumps, the faster he gets. Any tips?? I've tried stopping him in the middle of a line, but it is literally in possible! I don't know what to do! Any feedback would mean a lot!
    I have one that slows down better by seat than by hand. Since you said he "buries his head in his chest" it sounds like you're pulling and pulling to no avail. Have you tried slowing him with your weight instead of your hand?

Of course - making sure he's sound and healthy first!

What does your trainer say?

Lots of gymnastics, lots of transitions and don't let him jump the fence is he starts to take off. Don't react to his running away with lots of hand when he starts running, use you're seat and leg to keep impulsion and slow him down good luck!

Check your tack. Maybe you don't have enough bit, or the bit is too strong and he's running away from it. Is the saddle fitting?

I agree with the other posters about exercises you can do. Don't get mad or frustrated but DEMAND a response (halting, backing up, slowing down, ect.).