The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    I know jack all about snakes, but I simply cannot imagine a diet of frozen rats ONLY is very healthy. *cluless*
    This is what snakes eat. He eats frozen, as opposed to live, which is more dangerous for the snake. He's been raised on frozen. We did manage to switch our corn snake, who had been raised eating live, to frozen. Pet snakes can be injured by live rats or mice.

I am not talking live verses frozen, I am referring to nutritionally complete diet. How far do you bend over backwards for your horse getting COMPLETE & proper nutrition? Yet you feed your snake only frozen rats? How well were those rats feed...???

It is like people that feed meal worms to their whatever. How nutrionally complete was that meal worm fed? I know people that have grown them on white bread. Oh yeah, like that is a real nutritional winner. NOT! And then they expect their pet whatever to thrive on those mealworms? *whatever*

No way I will ever keep a snake for a pet. But if I did I would be bending over backwards to make sure it had the best nutirionally complete diet possible.

Your snake, do as you wish.

Ya'll can keep your snakes, thank you very much. This is why I have barn cats, Buckeye chickens, & mint planted everywhere. No snakey, no.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    I am not talking live verses frozen, I am referring to nutritionally complete diet. How far do you bend over backwards for your horse getting COMPLETE & proper nutrition? Yet you feed your snake only frozen rats? How well were those rats feed...???

It is like people that feed meal worms to their whatever. How nutrionally complete was that meal worm fed? I know people that have grown them on white bread. Oh yeah, like that is a real nutritional winner. NOT! And then they expect their pet whatever to thrive on those mealworms? *whatever*

No way I will ever keep a snake for a pet. But if I did I would be bending over backwards to make sure it had the best nutirionally complete diet possible.

Your snake, do as you wish.

Ya'll can keep your snakes, thank you very much. This is why I have barn cats, Buckeye chickens, & mint planted everywhere. No snakey, no.
    Actually, times have changed & pet food - even for snakes - has changed for the better. There are a fair number of companies that raise rodents specifically for reptile food, & raise them on a specific thoroughly-researched diet that makes the resulting end product highly nutritious. Even the big box pet stores now carry for sale & use these products, where they used to only be available via mail order/online. Same goes for companies that sell live insects (mealworms, crickets, wax worms, etc.) for pet consumption. The days of having to raise your own on "white bread" are long gone. Thankfully.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yup, my snakes eat mice and rats specifically raised to be snake food. Complete diet. When Jewel (our corn snake) was still eating live, we had to ask for feeder mice as opposed to pet mice, because they are raised differently.

Honestly it is a fallacy to say that snakes will not get into your bed in winter or summer whether it slept at the same time is debatable. A person my mother knows had it happen to her this year during our very cold winter and it was a very rare very poisonous snake that actually turned out to have been transported with her when she moved house. The snake streaks (apparently they are white) were between the levels of blankets. First she knew about the snake was when she saw it going to the on-suite for a drink! It had also cruised around the house. More than a few people I know have had snakes land on beds or just found them in their houses. All removed as far as I am aware humanely. I do check my bed in summer and winter (but not as much). Snakey needs to leave the house but it would if possible be best to find it before you call the snake catcher. Snakes serious give me the shakes when I see them so best of luck.

Edit to add the bed checking may seem paranoid but when you have had a snake in the roof, snakes in the garden and cats who have in the past (not these ones) been the main snake contributor to brining inside snakes ... who like your bed ... in the middle of the night in summer I’ve even been known to cautiously look under the bed if I am worried about noises. Lol

I have one that lives in my attic. He comes out once in a while and I find him on the front porch. He's awesome.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

There are plenty of real stories of cowboys out with the wagon branding in the spring to wake up with a snake in the bedroll with them, staying warm, most times a rattler.
    That would be a rude awakening.

Quote Originally Posted by lolita1 View Post
    Honestly it is a fallacy to say that snakes will not get into your bed in winter or summer whether it slept at the same time is debatable. A person my mother knows had it happen to her this year during our very cold winter and it was a very rare very poisonous snake that actually turned out to have been transported with her when she moved house. The snake streaks (apparently they are white) were between the levels of blankets. First she knew about the snake was when she saw it going to the on-suite for a drink! It had also cruised around the house. More than a few people I know have had snakes land on beds or just found them in their houses. All removed as far as I am aware humanely. I do check my bed in summer and winter (but not as much). Snakey needs to leave the house but it would if possible be best to find it before you call the snake catcher. Snakes serious give me the shakes when I see them so best of luck.

Edit to add the bed checking may seem paranoid but when you have had a snake in the roof, snakes in the garden and cats who have in the past (not these ones) been the main snake contributor to brining inside snakes ... who like your bed ... in the middle of the night in summer I’ve even been known to cautiously look under the bed if I am worried about noises. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    There are plenty of real stories of cowboys out with the wagon branding in the spring to wake up with a snake in the bedroll with them, staying warm, most times a rattler.
    Oh come on guys. The words for what you two are doing is called "fear mongering". The chances of finding a snake - any snake, poisonous or not - in your bed are unbelievably slim. All you're apparently doing is attempting to frighten the OP (& anyone else) into wanting more than ever to kill the poor snake. Hate/fear snakes? Fine. Misguided, but fine. Trying to make everyone else hate/fear snakes too? More than a bit over the top.

A thumbs down as I expressed CONCERN if a snake was being fed a complete diet??? I am assuming it was some snake lover that gave me the thumbs down? I do not even like snakes, but at least I was concerned for them. Whatever people, whatever.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    ROFL ---- OHHHHH, I didn't know OP was going to sleep under a blanket on the ground on a cold desert evening, smack in the middle of habitat full of prey, using her saddle as a pillow. She really should have mentioned that. For some reason, I thought she was using a bed inside a house. I guess that's what I guess for ASSuming things, dangit!

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    ROFL ---- OHHHHH, I didn't know OP was going to sleep under a blanket on the ground on a cold desert evening, smack in the middle of habitat full of prey, using her saddle as a pillow. She really should have mentioned that. For some reason, I thought she was using a bed inside a house. I guess that's what I guess for ASSuming things, dangit!
    I was referring to snakes looking for a warm place and that at times has been known to be just that, a cowboy's kak out on a cold night.