The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Snake in the house

EEK!! A month or so ago I found snake skin in an upstairs cabinet. It seemed old so I thought he (hopefully) was gone. However, last night I found gross evidence that he has been in other areas of the house. I am not sure he is still around and I am hoping he has found a new residence! What can I do to ensure that this guest does not return!

Call an exterminator right now, and one that specializes in wild creatures. I think they use glue boards and then unstick the animal. You can't be sure the animal left, and you need to make sure it's gone. Many times they follow mice inside, for feeding, so someone needs to figure out how it got in, and block it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I don't know how to get him out. The good news is that if he's there he's there because he is finding food. You know...like mice and rats.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

1 members found this post helpful.

Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    I don't know how to get him out. The good news is that if he's there he's there because he is finding food. You know...like mice and rats.
    I know we get field mice vistors from time to time. I do not like thinking of them much less their slithering friends! I will check out the other thread and I will check to see where there are some holes they may be coming in. Can an exterminator find them quickly? I am think since it is cooler the snake may be getting ready to hibernate??? Will he do it in my house????

And, why have my dogs done nothing! I know, because they are worthless!!! LOL!!

Oh please do not put out glue boards -- they are horrible, torturous, inhumane devices. You cannot "peel them off" an animal without ripping its skin off, especially thin reptile skin. If not attended at all times so captive can be immediately dispatched, the animal slowly starves to death, usually in pain from struggling to escape.

I would guess you have a resident rat snake, we had one in our attic growing up, he was pretty neat and would eat the flying squirrels and bats that lived in our ceiling (you can't make this sh*t up, LOL).

If you would like to remove him, although he may be helping you out and will not harm you, I would call Animal Damage Control (google it, diff't from local Animal Control, who usually will not deal with wildlife). If you lived by me, I'd gladly come snag him, but I'm going to guess that will involve climbing through some rafters.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I would guess you have a resident rat snake, we had one in our attic growing up, he was pretty neat and would eat the flying squirrels and bats that lived in our ceiling (you can't make this sh*t up, LOL).
    I have one of these - aka "chicken snake" in our area. He moved under the house when we moved in years ago - he's a big critter now. He mostly stays outside and hidden, although he likes to give the dogs a fright now and then. And once last year he came in through a loose brick in the chimney for a brief visit.

If that's what you've got, he really won't hurt you. Please don't hurt him, either, K? If you see him, you can always just drop a small trash can over him, run a piece of cardboard under it, and take him outdoors.

7 members found this post helpful.

Oh please do not put out glue boards -- they are horrible, torturous, inhumane devices. You cannot "peel them off" an animal without ripping its skin off, especially thin reptile skin. If not attended at all times so captive can be immediately dispatched, the animal slowly starves to death, usually in pain from struggling to escape.

If you would like to remove him, although he may be helping you out and will not harm you, I would call Animal Damage Control (google it, diff't from local Animal Control, who usually will not deal with wildlife). If you lived by me, I'd gladly come snag him, but I'm going to guess that will involve climbing through some rafters.
    Huge DITTO here. Oh Lord God Almighty! Do NOT use those glue boards!!! There's no "unsticking" them, & snakes are the GOOD GUYS for Christ's sake. Even our local feed & hardware stores have stopped carrying glue boards because so many folks have vetoed them.

13 members found this post helpful.

I am pretty sure it is a rat snake. I have seen one or more than one around the outside of the house. I do not want to hurt him at all, I just want him to find his way back outside or even in the crawl space just not in the house! I actually like rat snakes since they keep the mice population down and also get rid of poisonous snakes. I am hoping to seal up everything so he can't get back in.

While I do not mind a rat snake, the thought of opening a drawer and finding him may give me a heart attack! I also do not like the thought of him crawling all over my things.

4 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs up

Love those black snakes. You'll never have mice or rats if they move in. Scary but lovely!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh, what if he crawls into your bed??????????????? It's a good snake but I feel ya about running into it!

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    Oh, what if he crawls into your bed??????????????? It's a good snake but I feel ya about running into it!
    LOL!! That reminds me of a dream I had last year! I dreamed there was a snake in the couch. About that time I felt, in real life, a cold, slimy thing rub against my arm. I woke up quickly, only to find my dog sniffing me! That is as close as I want to get with a snake anywhere I sit/lay!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Huge DITTO here. Oh Lord God Almighty! Do NOT use those glue boards!!! There's no "unsticking" them, & snakes are the GOOD GUYS for Christ's sake. Even our local feed & hardware stores have stopped carrying glue boards because so many folks have vetoed them.
    Actually....you CAN unstick them. Should you find a critter stuck to a glue board you can use vegetable oil to unstick them. Unfortunately for feathery or furry critters, they would now be covered in oil as well as glue but the oil cuts the stickiness of the glue. For a snake, it should be a fairly easy thing to then wash him dawn and get the oil off of him. This works really well for cats or dogs that accidently come in contact with a glue board.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Agreed!

I wish I had a snake under my house, although not necessarily IN my house. They are great for snatching mice that get in through the crawl space windows.

I get an occasional snake in my house. Usually it's a baby snake. I'm not thrilled, but I have learned to scoop the snake up in a container and chuck it outside. Both the snake and I are better for it. If Mr IF or IF Jr are about, then they get the snake catching duties.

I can remember as a child that my mother vacuumed up a snake. That was not a good thing. She was horrified and fled to a neighbor's house. The neighbor had to get the snake out of the vacuum.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Actually....you CAN unstick them. Should you find a critter stuck to a glue board you can use vegetable oil to unstick them. Unfortunately for feathery or furry critters, they would now be covered in oil as well as glue but the oil cuts the stickiness of the glue. For a snake, it should be a fairly easy thing to then wash him dawn and get the oil off of him. This works really well for cats or dogs that accidently come in contact with a glue board.
    Unfortunately, anyone so terrified of snakes that they feel the need to use a glue board is NOT going to be handling the poor thing & trying to unstick it from the board.

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    LOL!! That reminds me of a dream I had last year! I dreamed there was a snake in the couch. About that time I felt, in real life, a cold, slimy thing rub against my arm. I woke up quickly, only to find my dog sniffing me! That is as close as I want to get with a snake anywhere I sit/lay!
    Snakes aren't "slimy". That's yet again another unfortunate myth about them. Unlike frogs & salamanders, they're completely dry-skinned.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    I have one of these - aka "chicken snake" in our area.
    Envy. I love the yellow morph of the rat snake. We see a rare one occasionally, most of ours are dark, but they are gorgeous.

And, erm, I'm pretty sure he's not going to crawl in bed with you, LOL. Unless you bathe in mouse juice. And yes, thank you Bacardi -- SNAKES ARE NOT SLIMY. They are very dry and smooth, almost like a beautiful soft leather.

If you would like to try to lure him out to capture him with a trash can and move him outside gently, you could try placing a heating pad set on low in a corner where you have found sign and then put some boxes/things around it so it was a dark, safe-feeling place. But chances are, I doubt you will ever see him. I never saw ours save the occasional snakeskin, they don't exactly wander your house at will, exploring the panty drawer, ROFL.

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    Thanks a lot. That's REALLY juvenile & not very helpful in trying to get the OP to come to terms with what's a "good" invader.

Sleep with a gun under your pillow do ya?

If anything gets stuck in a glue board and you don't find it right away all the vegetable oil in the world won't undo the suffering the small creature has gone through, and I say this because I used to work in a very nice resort that kept those boards in the maintenance rooms and caught mice in them. I dispatched the mice as fast as I could but it was still barbarous and inhumane, and caused bad feelings among the staff.

Where there is a snake there are vermin for it to eat, you might want to address that issue and then the snake will leave.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

3 members found this post helpful.