The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hoof supplements

Would love input on hoof supplements that are worth the price. My guy will not eat the powder so it needs to be a pellet. I've used Farrier's Formula in the past but I cannot say it made a significant difference. Thanks for your opinions!

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Too bad about the powder- I've had excellent results with Leaps N' Bounds. It's a very small amount-1 tsp? and seems to give very good results.

Dumor Hoof at TSC. I have tried them all and this one works the best.

2 members found this post helpful.

SmartHoof is pretty good and I think it comes in pelleted form. The only two I've ever seen make a difference are that and Farrier's Formula.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've been using SmartHoof on my boy who had terrible feet when I purchased him back in June. WE've seen noticeable improvement in the new growth. Caveats:

-He was on Farrier's forumal when I bought him, but can't trust the seller to know how long. They might have started him on it the say before I came out.

-He hadn't had his teeth done in seven years, and was not getting enough grain or forage and was severely underweight when I bought him. I think the poor nutrition had a lot to do with the poor quality of the hoof.

So, yes, I've seen improvement with the Smartpak Smarthoof, but I don't know how much is the Smarthoof, and how much is the fact he's actually getting the right stuff, and is able to chew it! He's also on several other supplements, and any one of those, or the combination might be affecting the good growth. Not very scientific without a good control.

Quote Originally Posted by D Taylor View Post
    Dumor Hoof at TSC. I have tried them all and this one works the best.
    I second this. Comparing labels, it looked like the better deal as far as d-biotin, methionine, and lysine content went. It's also convenient to get with a TSC local -- the only thing I do with it is portion it out into sandwich baggies for the BO's convenience. My guy also gets a scoop of a good multi-vitamin (Vita-Flex Accel) with it and there hasn't been any issue of him not eating it all.

I also treat his soles/frog 3x a week and hoof wall 1x a week with Farrier's Fix. The Farrier's Fix has helped immensely to toughen up his soft soles and I'm hoping that with the Dumor he'll grow some better hoof over the winter so I might not have to shoe him come spring (or at least he'll keep a set on for more than a couple of weeks).

Farriers formule double strength! I had great sucess after a rainy spring caused my mare's feet to get really crumbly, many lost shoes, lots of chips, etc. My non-believer in supplements farrier commented on how hard her feet had gotten and how fast they were growing! Id say I started seeing results in about a month but really took about 6 months for her feet to completely get back to normal.

Then, once she didnt need the double strength, I keep buying it and givng a half dose because its more cost effictive than the regular.

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    I also treat his soles/frog 3x a week and hoof wall 1x a week with Farrier's Fix. The Farrier's Fix has helped immensely to toughen up his soft soles and
    This. I forgot to mention, I also slather his hooves up every chance I get. I think that helps a ton too.

HB 15 has helped and Focus Hf.

I second the Focus HF from Source. It is available in pellets. I have been using it on all my horses since it appeared on the market years ago. ( TB's, Arab, QH's, Appy) Our horses have had various hoof problems over the years, and the Focus HF improved all of them by increasing hoof growth and strengthening the hoof wall. I get a 25 pound bucket every four months on autoship from Stateline for our four current horses (Willie the wonder boy who is back in work after his three surgeries for cancer and two founders , two adopted TB's, and a 22 year old QH) and all of their feet look great and have no problem holding shoes (Willie and one TB) or holding up to going barefoot (QH and other TB). Good stuff!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I started using Progressive ProAdd Ultimate for low-calorie total nutrition for an IR horse, and happily found that his hoof quality improved TONS. It is a small pellet that you top-dress. Love this product, for a lot of reasons.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

1 members found this post helpful.

I used GrandHoof on my OTTB for several years; he used to abscess at least once every winter/early spring and constantly pulled shoes over the summer, but after starting the GrandHoof no more abscesses and he pretty much stopped losing shoes, and it is a pellet- he wouldn't eat powders either.

TRLMH08 is offline Training Level Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input. My boy has a keratoma which will be surgically removed next week so I want to give him everything I can to facilitate growth and repair of the hoof involved.

LOVE SmartHoof!