The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Questions about 30/70 DT?

I am trying to follow a thread on a German BB about the 30/70 DT - not terrifically easy with Google Translate lol - but the gist is, I think, that the final scores are, at least in part, calculated using a coefficient that reflects the breeding of the stallion and what his ancestors and siblings have done?

Whilst I can see how this factor weighs in (otherwise why would we study pedigrees?) the concern seems to be how stallions without that factor are being scored - as in suppose he is the first of his line (like say Furioso) to be deemed A Great Stallion - or suppose his TB racing parent doesn't get to contribute because it can't be calculated?

Am I understanding this correctly? I'm thinking specifically of Trakehner stallions who have xx or ox blood (and who are specifically bred to those breeds to infuse the qualities of them) and how their performance looks "bad" for want of a better word.

Which also leads me to ask - do the calculations for the NA stallion test use this method? (I don't see how it can given that horses can't be tracked) and if so then wouldn't it benefit German breeders to send their horses here for testing?

And thus it leads me to conclude that only the raw scores are worth anything at all when looking at results!

I believe this is the first (or maybe second) year that the pedigree coefficient has been used in Germany. From what I hear it has been controversial and I have no idea if it will continue to be part of the testing. It is not used in the testing here in the U.S.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! That clears up some confusion then