The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have Saxon 1200D Turnout Blanket 150g?

Does anyone have this?

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/sa...-150g/E002803/

Do you like it? I'm looking for an inexpensive mid-weight for an approximately 16 to 16.1 hand TB. He is BIG bodied (not at all slab sided), and I read in the reviews that the sides on this blanket can be a bit short. Curious about others' experiences.

He will spend most of the winter in his heavy weight turnouts, but I would like to have something for days like today (20s) that I can put over a 200 gram stable blanket for a littl extra something. He is blanket clipped.

I have this turnout (heavier fill) for my pony. I've been happy with the fit and the quality, but I would say that it probably does run a bit short. My pony is 14.1 and wears a 72. Where most blankets brush her knees, this one does not, so on a bigger bodied horse it might be too short.
    For a longer blanket, I like the Shires turnouts.

I like them, but I prefer these:
    http://www.carouselhorsetack.com/pro...t-Turnout.html
    Same kind that Schneider's sells (but I don't pay tax from this place!)

Have used that exact blanket for 3 seasons now, used on our barrel shaped QH is only 14.3h though and yes the drop is shorter than other blankets, but it has held up amazingly well.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

I have a saxon, 1200D. It's held up in a field of rambunctious naughty gelding that LOVE to mess with each other's blankets. However, the drop is VERY short, and my TB gelding isn't that big, 16H on a tall day.
    Team Ginger

I have several of these but the heavy weight ones. They fit my paint well but they are a bit shorter on the sides but still work fine. They are very easy to clean and are warm. I have found them to be a good value for the price
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

These are my favorite blankets. We have them on a wide range of TBs--ages from yearlings to broodmares and a retired pony, a total of 10 horses. I have another brand on 5 other horses and like the Saxons WAYYYYYY better.

They fit the neck of all our TBs, regardless of build. (As an aside, last year I bought several of the Dover Saddlery Riders Supreme Turnouts, and they are too big in the neck and therefore bind the shoulders of everyonewe have them on!)

They are definitely a bit shorter drop than the higher priced blankets, but it hasn't been a problem on any of our horses except for some of the bigger bellied broodmares.

I plan on selling all my Riders turnouts and replacing them with Saxons for next year.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Thank you all for the replies! I think I'm going to go for it, since I don't anticipate this blanket being in use THAT often, so hopefully the drop will be sufficient for my purposes. He certainly isn't as big-bellied as a broodmare, lol! I do have the Riders International Supremes for his turnout sheets and one of his heavy turnouts. I like them because they are very durable, and the fit on him is good.

I seriously have WAY too many blankets for just one horse, but, amazingly, I don't own any mid-weight turnouts. We are in a new barn this year (not heated), and I was thinking it would be colder in the barn than it really is (yay!), so my whole plan of blanketing heavier inside and putting a turnout sheet over was foiled!

I have the no-fill kind, just a waterproof sheet. It's fine, but yeah, the drop is MUCH shorter than average, which leaves Bonnie's big barrel a little exposed. Not enough that I'd say it fits poorly, but if you want a longer drop on a bigger-bodied horse, I'd say look elsewhere.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I have the no-fill kind, just a waterproof sheet. It's fine, but yeah, the drop is MUCH shorter than average, which leaves Bonnie's big barrel a little exposed. Not enough that I'd say it fits poorly, but if you want a longer drop on a bigger-bodied horse, I'd say look elsewhere.
    Me too. I've found it to hold up really well. I've had mine a number of years and re-waterproof each year. Mine also has the nylon leg straps which I like better than the elastic which stretch too much.

I'd say it runs on the small side--my mare who is usually an 80 could use a 82 in this brand.

Have that very blanket in Blue. Love everything about the blanket except for the short drop. Right now using it on a very big hipped and long APHA gelding and it barely covers his tummy.

The quality of the blanket is good the fit everywhere but the drop is great.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I purchased the 600D version last year for a confirmed blanket shreder. Since I figured whatever I purchased would be gone in one season, I couldn't justify spending more $ for a blanket that wasn't going to last. Well, I am still stunned that the blanket was not only NOT shreded, but after a hard season of use, the darn thing is in perfect condition. I offically love this brand, and would totally purchase one again. More $ does not always mean a better product.

1 members found this post helpful.

Saxons are my favorite cheap blankets. The drop is a little short, but not really that bad. They fit just about every shape and don't rub. Love them!

I really love them for TBs with big withers. They held up through the hurricane, even. The drop is short, and they do run small. That said I prefer the shortness. My horses are chunky by build and slightly chubby, and they are covered but only just.

1 members found this post helpful.