The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

hmm, very interesting! I reallyyy really like Bonaparte N at the moment, but I will try to figure out all the costs for Persiflage as well. Looks like I'll be doing a frozen breeding no matter what, sigh. Thankfully, the mare will be in College Station for the breeding, so I have one of the best vet schools out there to help me out! =)

Thank you so much for everyone's inputs! I think right now my top pick is definitely Bonaparte N, but with Persiflage, Sarastro, and Baladin d'Oc in mind as well.
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Sarastro is the sire of the rather amazing Petrus de la Triballe. He was undefeated in six events until an injury in 2010. He also won Le Lion as a 6yo in 2009 over Mighty Magic. Sat out last year and came back this year. Was 4th in his first FEI event back, which was a CIC 1*; then won his next outing, a CIC3*. Was at Boekelo this year on the French team, but withdrew before sj. If he's sound, he's going to be a super star.

Sarastro was also ranked #1 in France as an eventing sire. Them's great credentials. http://www.le-cheval-bleu.com/eng/sarastro.htm

But he might not have enough Arabian blood to suit. And there may not still be frozen from him around.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Oh I like Sarastro alot, he looks so much like a high class eventer. I contacted the COTH member that had posted about his semen and she said that her vet had plenty of semen still, I just have to find the time to call and talk to them about it. =) I will post that information whenever I learn of it, since I'm sure other people will be interested as well!

I might just have to save up and do two crosses in two years, one to Bonaparte N and the other to Sarastro! =) Though my trainer has already called dibs on buying the Bonaparte N foal hahaa!
    Visit MW Equine!

Also, I have another question. Is there another available registry for Anglo-Arabians? I was looking and the resulting foal from a cross between Sarastro and Sadie (Tb mare) wouldn't qualify for registering with the AHA as an Anglo-Arabian, due to Sarastro having 24% Arabian blood instead of 25% (such a PAIN!!!). Now I don't mind submitting the foal to another available registry, but does anyone know of one? (besides the AHA)
    Visit MW Equine!

Quote Originally Posted by themarchcat View Post
    Also, I have another question. Is there another available registry for Anglo-Arabians? I was looking and the resulting foal from a cross between Sarastro and Sadie (Tb mare) wouldn't qualify for registering with the AHA as an Anglo-Arabian, due to Sarastro having 24% Arabian blood instead of 25% (such a PAIN!!!). Now I don't mind submitting the foal to another available registry, but does anyone know of one? (besides the AHA)
    Check with the new North American SF branch. They might have access to the French AA or AC studbook.

Alright, I emailed the SF registry, as well as, the AHA to see if anyone could help me out. Viney, do you think Bonaparte N has enough Arabian blood to qualify for the AHA registry requirements?
    Visit MW Equine!

Quote Originally Posted by stolensilver View Post
    themarchcat I'd strongly recommend that you ring them. Stud fees in the UK are a fraction of the prices charged in the US. I can't see a fee on the website but I'd expect Persiflage to be around £500 for fresh/chilled. Despite his bloodlines he's not used much, possibly because he isn't heavily marketed which is a shame. I think they have frozen that can be exported but I'm not sure.

There's no harm in asking.
    Actually Persiflage has recently been collected from with the intention of making his semen available in the States and Australia. Hoping to make this happen as soon as possible so that he can be used in the USA for the 2013 season. Updates will be on the website (www.biddesdenstud.com) or the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/biddesdenstud).

1 members found this post helpful.

Bonaparte N looks really cool.. I wish I had a mare to use him on.
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

-.- Selle Francais representative was oober nice, but not exactly helpful when it came to helping me find an answer for my Anglo registry question. He basically said, don't worry about the papers, it sounds like you'll be getting a nice foal, but if you're worried, you can get the mare and foal inspected Holsteiner, Hanoverian, or Trakehner for papers (of course I knew that...). =( Hopefully Bonaparte N has enough Arabian blood to have the foal registered with the AHA.
    Visit MW Equine!

Thanks for letting me know rebeccag! I'll keep a watch on your two sites for when the news is posted! =)
    Visit MW Equine!

My recollection from an analysis done several months ago is that Bonaparte N has almost no pure Arab in his first five generations. IIRC, he's Shagya x TB. So it's going to depend on how the AHA treats Shagyas--how they calculate THAT blood.

Yeah exactly =/ Oh well. I really like him, so I guess it'll be an "Anglo-Arabian", but have to be approved as one of his 3 approved registries. I think I'll be talking with Biddesden some about their two Anglos though. I can for sure get the foal registered as Anglo with them and they're both incredibly nice.
    Visit MW Equine!

What about this guy...did 3'6" mini-prix jumpers, then made the switch to dressage...schooling GP in 2012. Available fresh, excellent Polish lines, foal registerable 1/2 Arabian.
    http://tristtan.com/
    pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/tristtan

I have a 1/2 Arabian OldNA mare whose damline is very close to Tristtan's.
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/pfaybol
    Her son by Bugatti Hilltop was purchased by a H/J trainer/rider and did beautifully his first year in 2012:
    http://www.selahwaysporthorses.com/begat_pfaythe_i.html

This Arabian stallion was approved by the Hanoverian Verband...you find multiple crosses to the stallion Comet, among others in common:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/is+orlow
    http://www.hengsthaltung-kathmann.de...ng=2&idart=288

I had emailed Ismers about frozen for IS Orlow last year and at that point, frozen wasn't available...a real pity as I have at least three mares for him, both purebred Arab and Hanno, here in North America...

The registry stuff can be tricky. If registration is important figure it out sooner instead of later. For the Anglo Arabian Registry in the US you can breed TB and Arabian(not Shagaya) and TB/Arabian to a certain percentage of Arabian and TB in the resulting foal (25%). The TB? whether TB or Arabian or Anglo-Arabian the horses need to be registered http://www.arabianhorses.org/registr...acts.asp#anglo
    Staying in this registry leaves the offspring elegible for National competition at the Arabian Sport Horse Nationals if you are interested. http://www.tranquillityhorsefarm.com/Oration.html This horse created quite a fuss the year he won the National Champion Sport Horse Stallion...because he doesn't "look" like an Arabian. Because you start with a TB mare you have more options as suggested here but you may want to see if an anglo-arabian registered in Ireland/GB can have offspring registered in the Anglo Arabian registry here. Good luck this is exciting. Not may people have the courage to use Arabian blood in their sport horses in the US. PatO

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

You might also consider Trakehner stallions, they have a high percentage Arab/TB blood.

These guys are very nice!

CFF
    Last edited by CopperFoxFarm; Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank you Pat! Sadly, I think I'm going to have to cross Bonaparte N off of the "top of the leader board" because of exactly that. Bummed, but I still have a good while to figure out the right stallion. And yes everyone, I am really wanting to register this foal with the AHA as an Anglo-Arabian, being able to have the mare/foal inspected with a Warmblood registry is just icing on the cake.

Pat, I know many people are nervous or leery about using Arabian blood, but I love them! I grew up riding many different breeds, but the first horse I leased was a little Arabian mare and the first horse I bought was a Thoroughbred gelding that I still own today. I'm not scared of Arabian blood at all! I actually bought my Arabian mare almost 2 years ago and she was untouchable to say the least, but now she's awesome and turned into a brilliant little jumper that even my trainer loves! So that is why I want to combine my two favorite breeds and try to emulate the type of Anglo Europe has been breeding for a long time. I really want to say thanks to everyone who has helped me so far and may help me in the future! Every little bit is truly appreciated! =)
    Visit MW Equine!

Whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances, no matter how attractive you find him, breed to CZANTIAGO who is pure Arab. He was approved by the ATA, which discovered after his approval that he is a carrier for a lethal genetic disease in Arabians. His approval was yanked. So his owner then presented both him and his carrier dam to one of the Oldenburg registries which approved both of them.

Whether the registry in question maintained his approval after they were notified of his status as a carrier of CCE(?) is unknown to me.

Oh yes, I will not breed to any Arabian stallion (or Anglo) that is a carrier for SCID or CA!
    Visit MW Equine!

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inde...mall_font=1&l=

Baccarat is by QDR out of an anglo arab mare line....not sure who he mght be approved with...but he actually won the big moneyed GPs and would certainly add aenough blood with jump.