The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default stallion suggestions

Hello again! This is a follow up thread from the pedigree breakdown thread I posted a few days ago of a Thoroughbred mare I'll be breeding for myself. (thread here --> http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-mare-pedigree) Just wanting to get everyone's expert opinion on stallions to possibly cross her with. I am wanting to breed for an Anglo-Arabian, so the stallion can be either Anglo-Arabian himself or Arabian. I've already been suggested Baladin d'Oc, and I've already sent an email to Virginia Tech about him, as well as, I already have Signal Bey on my list too.

The mare is a 16.1 or .2 chestnut sabino. I'm hoping to breed this foal for eventing and foxhunting. I would also like to avoid breeding her to another chestnut, but I know that color should be the last thing I should worry about, so if the perfect stallion is chestnut, then I just live with chestnut. Suggest away!
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

If you are thinking of going with an Arabian, I've been an admirer of Faerie Court Farm's Oberon's Vanity for a while. Great type, excellent mind and he can move and jump. I think he is frozen only, but you would have to check with Dawn about that. Dawn could also give you advice on how he would match up with your mare - and she would be honest if he wasn't a good match for her.

http://faeriecourtfarm.com/FCF_Obero..._pedigree.html
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

1 members found this post helpful.

What are you breeding for?

Not many all AA stallions around..

Windfall, Ironman and Quick Star all have AA in their pedigree.. fairly close..

There is a stallion called Knock Wood that is by Olisco (has AA on top) and then is out of a Good Twist xx mare (Cool Twist who is the full sister to Gem Twist) that would be a cool combo with this mare..
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

I mentioned above that I'm wanting to event with this foal and I know it'd be easier to go with one of the million warmblood type stallions out there, but I really want an Anglo, so the stallion has to be either Arabian or Anglo-Arabian.

You're definitely right, EquineLVR, there are pretty much slim to none Anglo-Arabian stallions out there.. very frustrating! =/ I'm guessing that AHA people just do the straight Arabian - TB cross pretty much every time instead of keeping around Anglo stallions to cross on.
    Visit MW Equine!

You should check out WL Intruder, he's an Arabian stallion out in Nor Cal. Good sized and producing some very nice crosses with lots of jump. He himself is a multi titled National Champion Hunter & Jumper for Arabians. He's a very nice boy and he's bay.

Dawn's stallion is very nice too.

I know chestnut is not high on your list, but if you want BRAVE, ENDURANCE, HEART & GALLOP, check out Magic Aulrab. He's an endurance stallion in Nevada that is producing some seriously nice sport babies. I have a PB coming 2 yr. old with everything I mentioned above. LOVE him.

It might sound like a left-field suggestion, but if you're interested in the AA/TB type, please take a look at Super Star (scroll down, video here), an Akhal-Teke stallion who stands in Virginia. His owner sometimes posts here.

Super Star crosses well with TB mares and produces tough, intelligent, athletic horses. My own Super Star mare is now 7; she has a huge jump, beautiful movement, can go all day, goes out alone or in groups, and is very fun to ride. She'll be moving up to Prelim soon and has the talent and scope for much higher.

IMO, Super Star is one of the best stallions for eventers in the US. It is, however, hard to get people to see past the words 'Akhal-Teke'. But I like my horses light and fast, and Super Star gave me exactly what I wanted.

(I realize you're looking for an Arab or AA but the AT is a similar type, and the AT/TB cross produces a horse that has the same characteristics as the AA.)

Quote Originally Posted by themarchcat View Post
    I mentioned above that I'm wanting to event with this foal and I know it'd be easier to go with one of the million warmblood type stallions out there, but I really want an Anglo, so the stallion has to be either Arabian or Anglo-Arabian.

You're definitely right, EquineLVR, there are pretty much slim to none Anglo-Arabian stallions out there.. very frustrating! =/ I'm guessing that AHA people just do the straight Arabian - TB cross pretty much every time instead of keeping around Anglo stallions to cross on.
    Sorry missed the part about Eventing.. personally I would not pigeonhole myself to AA only.. you may not get what you want..breeding is such a crapshoot anyway.

Windfall brings the AA blood and XX blood. as well as he is a proven producer..just my opinion.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If you do a search on this forum, there was a vet in Western Canada who had some Sarastro frozen semen. Sarastro is a French Anglo who was the best eventing sire in France before he died. You could PM the original poster and get the name of the vet.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thanks everyone and thank you Viney! You've been especially helpful. =) I found the old thread and emailed the poster who said their vet had semen, hopefully they still do... 2 years have gone by since then.
    Visit MW Equine!

I know you are set on an AA or an Arab.. but one other to look at is Edelweiss De Bonce..

His whole dam line is AA.. with SF on top.. just another option since the AA's are so hard to find..

Good luck with your search!

Here is an Arab stallion I have liked for several years..

http://www.shnpayback.org/stallions/..._jak_flash.xml

I know ZERO about him or his bloodlines - what I like is his conformation and his bone.. he has 8.5in bone.. he just looks solid and with a lovely build.

If you are willing to go the frozen route, have a look at Bonaparte N. He doesn't have a lot of foals on the ground yet due to a busy competition career, but he is a successful 1.60 international showjumper and his sire was a 3* eventer. Plus, because he is approved with so many registries, there might be more registration options for your foal (if you were to consider having her inspected).
    http://www.superiorequinesires.com/s...onaparte.shtml

Have you considered a full Shagya Arab? They tend to be more sport oriented than the Egyption or Polish lines. I don't think there are many in the U.S., but Sterling Silver is on the West Coast.
    http://www.sterlingshagyas.com/sterlingsilveraf.html

You might also consider a Hungarian Warmblood with a good dose of Shagya. I've seen some REALLY nice young horses by HS Sir Bungee and his sire Shandor (Shagya).
    http://www.libertysporthorses.com/stallions.html

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    Here is an Arab stallion I have liked for several years..

http://www.shnpayback.org/stallions/..._jak_flash.xml

I know ZERO about him or his bloodlines - what I like is his conformation and his bone.. he has 8.5in bone.. he just looks solid and with a lovely build.
    Nice horse! Very elastic, that said... I tried breeding to him and got nothing. I hear he is live cover only at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by *Tradewind* View Post
    If you are willing to go the frozen route, have a look at Bonaparte N. He doesn't have a lot of foals on the ground yet due to a busy competition career, but he is a successful 1.60 international showjumper and his sire was a 3* eventer. Plus, because he is approved with so many registries, there might be more registration options for your foal (if you were to consider having her inspected).
    http://www.superiorequinesires.com/s...onaparte.shtml

Have you considered a full Shagya Arab? They tend to be more sport oriented than the Egyption or Polish lines. I don't think there are many in the U.S., but Sterling Silver is on the West Coast.
    http://www.sterlingshagyas.com/sterlingsilveraf.html

You might also consider a Hungarian Warmblood with a good dose of Shagya. I've seen some REALLY nice young horses by HS Sir Bungee and his sire Shandor (Shagya).
    http://www.libertysporthorses.com/stallions.html

I am with you on the Shagya's - the horse I posted above KS Rubin is a Shagya.

What about Persiflage? He's an Anglo Arab and an Advanced Eventer. He has the same dam line as the amazing Tamarillo who was a world class 4**** eventer and he is by Primitive Rising, one of the best TB sires of eventers ever. You really can't get a better pedigree for eventing than that! I believe his frozen is available for import to the US.

http://www.biddesdenstud.co.uk/10632.html
    http://sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10648391

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh dear, Stolensilver, now you've done it! Haha! I'm nervous to contact these people and ask how much it would cost me to import his semen! But that's the type of Anglo I am shooting for! I know I probably won't get one like the European style without breeding to a stallion of that type right away, or maybe not even for a few generations, but I so want to try!!

Tradewind, I love him! I'll have to research and figure out how much his semen costs. This mare has been bred LC, fresh, and frozen, so crosses fingers that frozen will work again!

Anyone have an idea on the costs of breeding with frozen (outside of purchasing and shipping the "goods" to me)?
    Last edited by themarchcat; Nov. 28, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Visit MW Equine!

Here are a couple options. I've seen Oration many times not a French Anglo, although many Arabian purests would tell you he is, but he's a French Arabian. I know his stud fee is ridiculous, but that may just be for Arabian mares. Many Arabian stallions have a different fee for non Arabians.
    http://www.tranquillityhorsefarm.com/Stallions.html

Quote Originally Posted by themarchcat View Post
    Oh dear, Stolensilver, now you've done it! Haha! I'm nervous to contact these people and ask how much it would cost me to import his semen!
    Importing semen on your own is very simple. The USDA has all the info you need.

Also, stud fees tend to be lower in the UK than in the US. You will, however, pay more for shipping.

If you're using frozen, the key is having a good vet who is experienced and successful with frozen.

themarchcat I'd strongly recommend that you ring them. Stud fees in the UK are a fraction of the prices charged in the US. I can't see a fee on the website but I'd expect Persiflage to be around £500 for fresh/chilled. Despite his bloodlines he's not used much, possibly because he isn't heavily marketed which is a shame. I think they have frozen that can be exported but I'm not sure.

There's no harm in asking.