The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tired of my dog acting 'weird'... Update Post 8

I really don't know what happened. Doggie is from the pound, we have had him for several years, and he came with lots of issues. Destroyed dog beds regularly even when we were home, would sit is dark hallways staring in a corner (CREEPY is a nice way of putting it), was horrible on a leash and very afraid of cars, no recall, would go in other rooms we were not in and just shake, cower when things fell off a counter.... He was a stray and I suspect had a not so nice life previous to ending up in the pound.

He was past all the issues (except for bed destroying when we are not home, so he gets crated) until two weeks ago. The only things that have changed in the last two weeks are that I got a really, really bad cold with horrible cough (thanks pregnancy! I have not been having a crappy enough time as it is!!) and now he seems to have reverted to the old behaviors minus the bed destruction. He sits in dark hallways, shakes uncontrollably when laying on beds, creeps out of rooms we are in to other rooms and lays in corners, pulls like crazy on walks, and will not come in the house when called. He just sits at the door staring stupidly at me, I have to go out and touch his collar or bum to get him in the house. To be honest, he is not the brightest of dogs so I am not sure if he is confused or what. He seems to have forgotten his training.

SO & I were really worried about him so he went to the vet, full exam, blood work, and urine tests. He is extremely healthy physically per the vet, and vet thinks this is a behavioral or mental issue (of course he was his usual happy, gregarious self at the vet office so that did not help with diagnonsis). Vet suggested getting a D.A.P collar but I am having trouble finding one locally although I am going to try that. Vet also suggested that if that did not work, we could potentially put him on generic prozac for a month to help with the anxiety.

Not sure what I am looking for..... Suggestions? Commiseration?

I want my happy, fun, cuddly dog back!!!! I really miss him....
    Last edited by TheHotSensitiveType; Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Update

really sounds behavioral to me. Something must have set off his PTSD. I'd get some clomipramine and try it. It might help, or it might not. If you really want your dog to be better, and the above med does not work, you need a veterinary behaviorist.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wonder if the cold and cough caused a subtle change in your behavior that set this all off? Maybe try to figure out if the cold is causing you to act differently than usual.

Good luck.

How far along is your pregnancy? Some dogs (& cats) have been known to react in interesting ways to fluctuating hormones.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

2 members found this post helpful.

How much exercise is he getting? I'd definitely try for at least a brisk 45 min walk am and pm. It'll help reduce anxiety.

Have you recently turned heat on? any chance you have a carbon monoxide leak?

Could the dry winter air/heated air be causing static problems for him? Can you rub him with an unscented dryer sheet a couple of times a day?

1 members found this post helpful.

threedogpak - The vet wanted us to try the pheromone collar fist (hoping we can get a hold of one today), and if the fails we will try the clomipramine. Failing that, yeah we may have to get more professionals involved. I am also hoping that now my cough is gone (my cough is what seemed to set this off, he would be laying on a bed, I would cough, then he would start shaking and then creep off...) that things will slowly return to normal, but we are still doing what the vet recommended.

betonbill - oh, I was definitely acting way off because of the cold! I could hardly get around the house, was hacking, nose blowing, sleeping as much as possible, etc... I was so sick I could not get the dogs out for walks so that I am sure did not help (although the torrential rain prevented walking most days anyway).

Rubyfree - about 5 months. He was fine with everything until I got the cold, but who knows?

jetsmom - The idea of running him with a static sheet seems strangely cute... I have not noticed any static problems but will keep that in mind. We only have electric heat so carbon monoxide is out... I was unable to walk the dogs due to my cold for a week, but I am back to walking them ~30-45 minutes 5-6 day a week (pre-cold this is how much they were normally getting walked). Unfortunately because of work hours, a morning walk is not feasible. I wish there were more hours in day and I wasn't so stinky tired all the time.... Jogging is out because of pregnancy related tendon pains.

Thank you all for letting me vent and making suggestions! I suspect that with some medication and me getting over my cold he will get back to normal, but me being overly emotional right now, I guess I am overly worried and a bit hurt that he has reverted to previous behaviors. Stupid I know, but thank you all! All suggestions are appreciated.

Maybe try a Thundershirt before trying meds. They have a money back guarantee.

So I finally am mostly over the cold, and my dog is mostly back to normal. It seem that my cough was scaring him and bringing back the PTSD or whatever was wrong with him. Next time I get a cold, I guess I am going to need to get some clomipramine to help him deal with it .... SO got a cold too including coughing, but that wasn't causing the strange behavior, it was only me coughing that was causing the behavior.

I still cough occasionally and that will make him get up if he is in the same room and creep out, but he is not shaking anymore. He is still being a bit of a pill about coming in the house when called but we are working on that as a training issue since he is back to normal otherwise.

Thanks for the ideas!