The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default supportive boots post-injury

My mare managd to tweak her ankle in turnout, which is not surprising given the mud (since scraped out) and her energy (high) and hotness.

She hurt the superficial digital flexor. Been on stall rest for 2 weeks, some surpass and seems well. She is getting her follow up visit Friday to see if we can move her to tiny turnout (attached to stall) and progress from there.

I told the vet I don't expect to work her much, having a 3 month old people-baby and whatnot (and another horse) so she can take whatever time she needs to heal. This delighted him as time, he said, is the best for this kind of injury.

My question, when she is cleared back to work, what boots best support this tendon? IN the interim I could use polos (since its gonna be just walking for a bit, I imagine). Obviously not splint boots, but what about those flexie-things from dover for flat work?
    Anyone? Bueller?

Boots and polos prevent against knocks and bangs. Support-No!

Flame suit on!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

2 members found this post helpful.

Boots and polos prevent against knocks and bangs. Support-No!

Flame suit on!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Agree that there are no boots that are capable of supporting a horse.

3 members found this post helpful.

yes, I'm aware of the obvious, but nicks and bangs I'd like to prevent too

Agree - having rehabbed 5 bowed tendon OTTBs, and doing ultrasounds, etc with a top sport horse vet, no boot is going to support a horse's leg. Additionally, the heat created by such boots can be detrimental.

For protection from knocks, I like the Veredus Boots. There are many different styles at different price points. Easy on, easy off, durable, clean up well.

Don't delude yourself that you can meaningfully "support" a tendon, ligament, or joint short of casting it or putting on a fracture splint.

For bangs and bumps, whatever covers the area in question, fits well, and is durable and/or bulletproof and/or of the current material and/or ventilated (whatever fashion you subscribe to at the moment) will suit just fine.

I'll wager most people have something in a box or bin somewhere that would be suitable for the job. Other than minor bells and whistles (and fads) boots have really not evolved all that much over the last 10 years IMO.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post

(and another horse)
    ahhh now I am intrigued - do tell

You said mud so I vote NEW Brushing Boot 'Lite'

soft and pliable boots with orthopaedic foam lining. A totally waterproof boot that can be hosed, rinsed or machine washed - just shake dry

Size Guide - ignore the H rating & just look at the inches, then email & ask about the heights of any boots you may be interested in (no idea why so many boot manufacturers ignore this dimension)

I love the NEW boots, but I use my cheapp woof boots for flat. My horse knocks his back legs a lot and they are cheap, dont hold water, hold up well, hose off well, and are easy top put on and take off.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Sorry to hi-jack, but I have heard others on this board mention the lack of support boots and wraps provide, and I was wondering if anyone could post a link to a research study (or studies) that supports these claims (I know they are out there, I just don't really know where to find them).

I'm actually inclined to believe what everyone on this thread has already indicated about boots/wraps, but I'd really love to see some hard evidence if it is available.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    ahhh now I am intrigued - do tell

You said mud so I vote NEW Brushing Boot 'Lite'

soft and pliable boots with orthopaedic foam lining. A totally waterproof boot that can be hosed, rinsed or machine washed - just shake dry

Size Guide - ignore the H rating & just look at the inches, then email & ask about the heights of any boots you may be interested in (no idea why so many boot manufacturers ignore this dimension)
    My Oldenburg mare hurt the leg, my kinda-retired-could-be-brought-back Morgan I can ride. I'm more apt to ride the Morgan as this point anyways, considering he's unflappable, 14 hands and fun. The Oldenburg is 15.1, rides HUGE, very lofty, hot and must be "negotiated" with (ie, mare). I've ridden once since having the baby. I looked like a drunk monkey humping a football. It was pitiful.

Not too worry - that's just what babies do to your core
    - definitely just go out & have fun on the Morgan ... or just walk & swim & do those indoor exercises that build core fitness - it'll be lovely & warm & SPRING in a few months

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    Sorry to hi-jack, but I have heard others on this board mention the lack of support boots and wraps provide, and I was wondering if anyone could post a link to a research study (or studies) that supports these claims (I know they are out there, I just don't really know where to find them).

I'm actually inclined to believe what everyone on this thread has already indicated about boots/wraps, but I'd really love to see some hard evidence if it is available.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...50423/abstract

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...48208/abstract (this one actually did document reduction in joint extension to a small degree, but the authors VERY CORRECTLY note that the significance of this is UNKNOWN and might actually be harmful instead of beneficial, as healed tendons DO need to be able to move through their full range of motion. And it was 26 subjects.

http://www.grayson-jockeyclub.org/ne...e_051410_1.pdf (this is probably the reference most people refer to)
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I'll wager most people have something in a box or bin somewhere that would be suitable for the job. Other than minor bells and whistles (and fads) boots have really not evolved all that much over the last 10 years IMO.
    With the exception of boots that come with promises of the impossible specifically designed to separate the gullible from their dough, boots haven't changed much since the 70s, save for easier to care for materials. The last real big innovation was replacement of buckles and straps with velcro closures in the 70s, and that, IMO, was the best thing the manufacturers ever did. God, how I loathed trotting boots with what always seemed like several dozen fiddly straps and buckles, and even front shin boot had 5 or more straps and they.were such a delight to deal with when mud coated. At least with velcro, you could still undo the fool things when well coated with mud. There were, from the time they made synthetics available, boots of varying degrees of protection from light neoprene to hard plastic shelled boots of all kinds of configurations and you can still get leather boots.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...50423/abstract

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...48208/abstract (this one actually did document reduction in joint extension to a small degree, but the authors VERY CORRECTLY note that the significance of this is UNKNOWN and might actually be harmful instead of beneficial, as healed tendons DO need to be able to move through their full range of motion. And it was 26 subjects.

http://www.grayson-jockeyclub.org/ne...e_051410_1.pdf (this is probably the reference most people refer to)
    Thank you for the links.