The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Less than stellar first ride in my wintec pro

I rode in the Wintec Pro today for the first time, and I don't think my horse approves. While she was long and low and stretchy at the walk, she didn't want to do any lateral work without a fight, and also didn't want to trot. When I did finally get her to trot she kept her ears pinned the entire time and was very rushy. Going to ride in the saddle again Thursday and see if today was just a fluke or not. Otherwise its back to the drawing board.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

How did it fit her? What observations did you make of the saddle on her bare back? I feel your pain.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Rigid synthetic tree blocks the spine = no lateral work. Horrible saddles. Just because you can make it wide doesn't mean the tree fits the two other components . . .

And rigid panels too! I hate the new Wintecs, the gusset seams at the back edges of the panels literally DUG into my horses loins, they are hard as a rock! I didn't even try to ride him in it. They may be okay for a horse with a VERY flat back, but one with even a slightly curvy back--not good.

This is an older wintec before they updated them. It appears to fit her just fine. No bridging, panels are making even contact, and plenty of spinal clearance.

Unless you are riding treeless, aren't all trees ridged?
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    This is an older wintec before they updated them. It appears to fit her just fine. No bridging, panels are making even contact, and plenty of spinal clearance.

Unless you are riding treeless, aren't all trees ridged?
    No. They flex to varying degrees depending on design, materials and age or the milage on them.

Also, the CAIR panels on those saddles add to the problem. However the tree and saddle fit while your mare is standing still will "stay" even as she's moving if the panels are too firm.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    I rode in the Wintec Pro today for the first time, and I don't think my horse approves. While she was long and low and stretchy at the walk, she didn't want to do any lateral work without a fight, and also didn't want to trot. When I did finally get her to trot she kept her ears pinned the entire time and was very rushy.

Is this with the XW gullet in place as suggested by jn4jenny?

With the wider gullet in, try adding a cushion between the panels & the horse's back, eg, a Thinline if there isn't much "space", an Ogilvy if there is room

Also make sure that the saddle is coming from a warm environment as some horses protest the chill of CAIR which is slower to warm & shape to the back than wool or foam.

I am using the wide gullet, I think the extra wide would sit on her withers. I use a thinline saddle fitter type pad under it.
    The Blog