The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Groupie Doll

While it appears any chance of 4-yr old Groupie Doll being in serious contention for Horse of the Year has slipped away, she certainly did put in a great effort against the boys on three weeks rest. For those who missed the race and it was a thrilling one:

Video: Grade 1 Cigar Mile at Aqueduct Nov 24, 2012

From her connections:

No regrets.

That was the sentiment expressed Sunday by Buff Bradley, trainer of the filly Groupie Doll, who was beaten a nose by Stay Thirsty in Saturday’s Grade 1, $350,000 Cigar Mile at Aqueduct.

“We just got outrun,” Bradley said Sunday afternoon by phone from Lexington, Ky., where he and his filly arrived home following a 12-hour van ride from Aqueduct. “I think she ran her race - she ran a helluva good race - the time was really good. Everything worked out for her except that last little bob. It’s disappointing, but at the same time we’re very proud of her.”
    She will be back in the Grade 2, $150,000 Inside Information Stakes at Gulfstream Park on March 17. For now (image) she's enjoying being turned out at Indian Ridge Farm in Frankfort, KY

And who is her pasture mate in that photo? Would it be this guy

Video flashback to her win in October at Keeneland and then when she went out to Cali to crush the field in the Filly and Mare Sprint.

A bit more on Groupie Doll which is rather interesting

Schlenk said Groupie Doll's story could be a book. Or at least a country-western song.

"Her dad died and her mama got struck by lightning and died last year," she said.

We then learn that Deputy Doll's first foal had legs too crooked to put in training. The second broke his shoulder, the third died of colic.

"She's got one family member: a blind sister," Kabel said. "Another baby got salmonella.
    And the Bradley family

Fred Bradley grew up in Providence, Ky., 35 miles from Ellis Park (then known as Dade Park). When he was 10, he bought a coal-cart mule for $3 and broke it for riding. He sold it for $5 and figured that buying and selling horses must be an easy way to make a living.

Fred bought a corn and cattle farm in 1967. He and his sons built or refurbished the barns, plowing the fields, raising hay and digging all the holes for fence posts while adding horses. Brass Hat paid for many farm improvements; Groupie Doll now carries the load.

But if Groupie Doll is a home-run horse, she also must make up for all the inevitable pop flies and called third strikes.

Groupie Doll has earned $1,047,850 with her 8-for-15 record. She earned $240,000 for winning the Presque Isle Masters and $120,000 in the TCA. That money already is accounted for. If she wins the Breeders' Cup, Buff's sexy idea of how to spend the money is on a new barn.

1 members found this post helpful.

I could NOT believe she lost that photo. I got a little carried away screaming at the TV, and upset my dog
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Me too TM. I work the afternoon shift at a bar on Saturdays and while it is a relatively racing friendly joint (as racing friendly as a bar in urban New York State is going to get) and I have a nasty habit of torturing my clientele with races... and by totally ignoring them for 2 minutes during show time. Everyone is used to it by now & gets pretty into it, and we had a collective HOLY CRAP moment when she didn't get the bob. An excellent run by Stay Thirsty, no doubt, and Groupie Doll certainly belonged in the race & did not embarrass herself in the least. I'm looking forward to her 2013 campaign.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

The win photo here from NYRA which makes it look more like a nose and half.