The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for posting this. So nice to read his story - not heard before - and he is such an outstanding rider.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

What I was amazed by was the length of the article. A serious number of inches devoted to the topic which is somewhat rare. He's always struck me as a guy who was devoted to his job by not only his talent but actually liking horses and riding.

Because he doesn't cherry pick only a handful of mounts (like Mike Smith, for example) he's apt to get at the NY tracks the "what have you done for me lately" ups and downs from the bettors. I think he's vastly under appreciated by a lot of folks compared to other more 'big name' riders.

I did love this bit of austerity:

But he does not flash his wealth. He drives a 2006 Honda Civic, which replaced the 1993 Honda Accord he drove for 13 years.

LOL, Glimmer - sent this article along to XSO, and he stated exactly the same thing.

Doesn't matter how he drives that Honda... But he sure can ride a horse beautifully.

I also love the mention of how he can handle so many 'tough to ride' horses. That is a sure key to success, since so many who can really run, are very tough to handle.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

His agent has been a good friend of mine for years (even before Edgar), and both are top notch class acts. I was sad to no longer have Edgar here riding for us, but Ramon was a good replacement.

The man had a dream Saturday at the Big A!

Jockey Ramon Dominguez celebrated his 36th birthday with three stakes wins at Aqueduct on Saturday. He's the leading rider there and finished with five wins on the card. Three of which were graded stakes races and all very thrilling ...

Stay Thirsty by a nose over the filly Groupie Doll in the $350,000 Cigar Mile. Overanalyze in the $250,000 Remsen for 2-year-olds and Dance Card in the $350,000 Gazelle for 3-year-old fillies.

It's a shame that the mare Groupie Doll was defeated but she was certainly valiant in the head-bob loss to Stay Thirsting making his final lifetime race.

And as is all too often the norm from a "high" like this past weekend, a bit of a low ...minor injury, taking a month off

Dominguez appeared to injure his foot after winning the final race last Wednesday at Aqueduct. He was walking gingerly back to the jocks’ room afterward.

The issue didn't appear to bother him in the subsequent days, especially Saturday - his 36th birthday - when he won five races including three graded stakes.

Rushing said Dominguez told him the bruise doesn't hurt him when he rides but it did "getting to the paddock and walking around."

Rushing said Dominguez had X-rays taken Monday, but they were negative. Rushing said doctors told Dominguez he could ride if he wanted to but advised him to take a couple of weeks off.

"I told him 'You've been going hard all year, take the time off and spend it with your family,' " Rushing said.
    He's expected to be back Dec 26th which is the first racing program after a nine-day break on the NYRA circuit. Dominguez He will ride in New York this winter.

Per the 11/28 tweet from DRF's David Grening:
    Just spoke with Ramon. He said left foot was hurt coming out of gate 11-14 when he rode Sunny Desert to victory in Stallion Stakes at AQU.