The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to do with my life?

My SO and I are moving to Raleigh after Christmas. He's moving for work , so I'll need to find a new job, but I still have no idea what I want to do with myself I've been updating my resume (thanks for the help Windsor1) but it's hard to skew it toward a particular job when I still don't know what I want to do.

Here's the deal. I am in the enviable position of being able to take a new tack right now. SO can and will support (for a reasonable amount of time) if I go back to school or take an internship or something. I finally have the financial security to hit the reset button--but I'm still clueless

So, career advice? What's INTERESTING to do? I want to think at work again. I want to be creative but I'm not artistic at all, I just mean solving puzzles and thinking outside of the box. If CoTH can't help me find a new direction, no one can!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

You need a book called "What Color is Your Parachute?" It walks you through exercises to figure out what you really want to do with your life (though be warned that it will change as you do!).

Do you have a degree? If so, do you want to continue in that field, maybe further your edcuation? Or do you want to do something totally different? If you made up your top 10 list of ideal careers, what would it include? If we only get one go -- make it count.

My only advice is to find something that gives you joy - something you would do even if you didn't get paid.

I spent the last 6 months of my last job crying and throwing up every morning on my way to work because of an insane boss. There is no salary worth living like that.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm also in the same boat! Graduated college in 2011 with a B.A. in religion/political science. I'm a strong writer, had various jobs and internships in college, and generally enjoy helping others. I spent a year doing a service program and worked at a homeless shelter doing many many different things. Some things I loved, some I hated.

But as far as what to do next? I feel pretty clueless too. Alex and Brodie's Mom, that book is a good suggestion! I think I need to spend some time in the career section of my local library...

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post

So, career advice? What's INTERESTING to do? I want to think at work again. I want to be creative but I'm not artistic at all, I just mean solving puzzles and thinking outside of the box. If CoTH can't help me find a new direction, no one can!

Become an Air Traffic Controller, there is a need for about 20,000 replacements; pay is good with excellant retirement

Most any type of engineering work or construction trade will have their fair share of problems to be solved, and some times you can be pretty creative depending on the project. Each project will have its own challenges depending on location, availability of materials and what your client is asking you to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    your client is asking you to produce.
    most want lipstick put on the pig and payment to be with straw they have woven into gold