The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeches for Show

What kind of breeches do you show in?

Default FITS in Dove Grey

I have not shown for 9 years due to a lame horse and no $$ to buy another one, but plan to show my homebred next year. I wear FITS breeches exclusively now and can't go back. So, I bought a pair of the Dove Grey FITS breeches for showing. The white FITS are a different material and I did not like the way they fit. The dove gray are a beautiful soft light bluish gray which I think will look good with my navy show coat. Kerrits make a nice breech with a "V" panel in the front that is very flattering. IMHO, personally, I would think showing in a white/light gray pair of breeches in the brand you wear daily work best. Change as little as possible for a show so you aren't dealing with a droopy crotch or a wardrobe malfunction.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I just showed about 1 week ago for the first time in 10 years. I wore my new pair of Romfh International full seats. They were surprisingly resistant to stains and have a bit of stretch in the full seat. I ended up washing them twice because I had to put some stain remover on a snot spot that didn't quite come out in the regular wash (to be fair, it was really faint but I wanted to try to get it out). I also have a pair of Tropical Riders from years ago that I can just about fit back into (full deerskin seat) but the white isn't quite so white anymore.

eventer here, but either my older Ariat Fairfax, my really old Elizabeth G white half seats or my newer (ebay) pikeurs. I do really like the half seat/extended patch for dressage. I know equissentials does it in a deerskin, which I am hoping to get soon
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I also have the FITS in dove grey. I believe they make my thighs looks thinner ha ha. I am toying with the idea of showing in my Goode Rider white jean breeches as they are v flattering and I don't think anyone could tell they were jean style when the full outfits on... I also like my Tropical Rider Enduracools in platinum for when its v hot but they are not as flattering as the FITS (sadly cellulite alert). When I want to be super conservative (championships or a judge I know is conservative) I wear my Irideons in white which are v comfy and not see through, unlike a lot of white breeches.

I only show (dressage) in white FS pikeurs. My favorite pair has a medium-gray full seat which looks nice walking around (with the contrast) but also minimizes staining from your saddle or tack cleaner. I'm primarily a hunter rider, and for the H/J shows I prefer ariats or tailored sportsmans.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

I have 2 pairs of Kentucky with real leather seat that I bought 11 years ago and have worn to every show since then. After the laundering from my last show this season, I noticed one pair has worn through - big bummer as the new breeches aren't the same quality. I have 2 pairs of pikers although one pair got very stained during a rainy show and I only wear them if its raining

I'm done with showing for the next few years, but I have two pair of show breeches: Tropical Rider Freestyles in Wheat/leather full seat, and Ovations in white... fake suede seat and a little lighter than the TRs.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I show in FITS in the champagne (cream) color. Cream just looks better on my chestunt overo mare.

Equissentials will put them all to shame!

I had several pair of whites, mostly white versions of my schoolers. I liked Royal Highness.

But the above poster is correct, hands down my all time fav full seats were Equissentials.

excellent service stunning value, ( imho) You can reuse the deerskin on a new pair in the future. SOFT AS BUTTER

you can custom the style and placement of zipper and tab/snaps ( I am a side girl)

You can also get a custom leg length.

Pay their web site a visit.
    Last edited by hoopoe; Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Since I'm a recent convert from hunterland, I show in white, knee patch Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunters. TS makes a full-seat Trophy Hunter as well, I think. Super flattering (wide waistband, euro seat) and nice and opaque. I've only worn them once, but they're still white, which is quite the accomplishment for me.

I have a pair of knee patch Pikeurs and a pair of fullseat kerrits that I love. They are the most comfortable breeches I think I have owned outside of a pair of corduroy Eurostars that I would pay any price to find! They had a spongy type fullseat and were a dream.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I love the Cavallo breeches. Full seat with high waist, so you can't see the shirt beneath my long coat.

Super comfy and maybe its all in my head but I feel I'm better seated when I'm wearing them.

For a reasonably priced option that looks great, I really like Dover's Riding Sport brand. They are thick enough to not be see-through and skim over any flaws and they look more expensive than they are. I also use some of their plaid ones for clinics and have gotten compliments on them (and surprise when I mention their price point, haha).