The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeches for Show

What kind of breeches do you show in?

Default FITS in Dove Grey

I have not shown for 9 years due to a lame horse and no $$ to buy another one, but plan to show my homebred next year. I wear FITS breeches exclusively now and can't go back. So, I bought a pair of the Dove Grey FITS breeches for showing. The white FITS are a different material and I did not like the way they fit. The dove gray are a beautiful soft light bluish gray which I think will look good with my navy show coat. Kerrits make a nice breech with a "V" panel in the front that is very flattering. IMHO, personally, I would think showing in a white/light gray pair of breeches in the brand you wear daily work best. Change as little as possible for a show so you aren't dealing with a droopy crotch or a wardrobe malfunction.

I just showed about 1 week ago for the first time in 10 years. I wore my new pair of Romfh International full seats. They were surprisingly resistant to stains and have a bit of stretch in the full seat. I ended up washing them twice because I had to put some stain remover on a snot spot that didn't quite come out in the regular wash (to be fair, it was really faint but I wanted to try to get it out). I also have a pair of Tropical Riders from years ago that I can just about fit back into (full deerskin seat) but the white isn't quite so white anymore.

eventer here, but either my older Ariat Fairfax, my really old Elizabeth G white half seats or my newer (ebay) pikeurs. I do really like the half seat/extended patch for dressage. I know equissentials does it in a deerskin, which I am hoping to get soon
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I also have the FITS in dove grey. I believe they make my thighs looks thinner ha ha. I am toying with the idea of showing in my Goode Rider white jean breeches as they are v flattering and I don't think anyone could tell they were jean style when the full outfits on... I also like my Tropical Rider Enduracools in platinum for when its v hot but they are not as flattering as the FITS (sadly cellulite alert). When I want to be super conservative (championships or a judge I know is conservative) I wear my Irideons in white which are v comfy and not see through, unlike a lot of white breeches.

I only show (dressage) in white FS pikeurs. My favorite pair has a medium-gray full seat which looks nice walking around (with the contrast) but also minimizes staining from your saddle or tack cleaner. I'm primarily a hunter rider, and for the H/J shows I prefer ariats or tailored sportsmans.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

I have 2 pairs of Kentucky with real leather seat that I bought 11 years ago and have worn to every show since then. After the laundering from my last show this season, I noticed one pair has worn through - big bummer as the new breeches aren't the same quality. I have 2 pairs of pikers although one pair got very stained during a rainy show and I only wear them if its raining

I'm done with showing for the next few years, but I have two pair of show breeches: Tropical Rider Freestyles in Wheat/leather full seat, and Ovations in white... fake suede seat and a little lighter than the TRs.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"
    2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine "What do I do with you, Baby J?"

I show in FITS in the champagne (cream) color. Cream just looks better on my chestunt overo mare.

Equissentials will put them all to shame!

I had several pair of whites, mostly white versions of my schoolers. I liked Royal Highness.

But the above poster is correct, hands down my all time fav full seats were Equissentials.

excellent service stunning value, ( imho) You can reuse the deerskin on a new pair in the future. SOFT AS BUTTER

you can custom the style and placement of zipper and tab/snaps ( I am a side girl)

You can also get a custom leg length.

Pay their web site a visit.
    Last edited by hoopoe; Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
    _\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Cookie Dough is the Sushi of Desserts
    Introverted Since 1957

Since I'm a recent convert from hunterland, I show in white, knee patch Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunters. TS makes a full-seat Trophy Hunter as well, I think. Super flattering (wide waistband, euro seat) and nice and opaque. I've only worn them once, but they're still white, which is quite the accomplishment for me.

I have a pair of knee patch Pikeurs and a pair of fullseat kerrits that I love. They are the most comfortable breeches I think I have owned outside of a pair of corduroy Eurostars that I would pay any price to find! They had a spongy type fullseat and were a dream.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I love the Cavallo breeches. Full seat with high waist, so you can't see the shirt beneath my long coat.

Super comfy and maybe its all in my head but I feel I'm better seated when I'm wearing them.

For a reasonably priced option that looks great, I really like Dover's Riding Sport brand. They are thick enough to not be see-through and skim over any flaws and they look more expensive than they are. I also use some of their plaid ones for clinics and have gotten compliments on them (and surprise when I mention their price point, haha).