The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beginner lessons, how to plan?

I've been riding since I was 5, very much backyard until I was 12, then I traded stall cleaning for lessons, and worked my way up the ladder to assistant barn manager. But I specialized in endurance, and now 10 years later am starting in the hunter/jumper world.

My husbands boss wants me to give his daughter basic lessons, he wants her to start out English then decide what she wants to do (ie western.) I can give VERY basic lessons, and I have the horse to do it on, but I'm at a loss as to how to plan these lessons? I used to hop in and help with lessons at my last barn, but they were intermediate. What's your typical lesson plan? What things do you start with?

Basics, basics, basics! Start with grooming and tacking and leading correctly if the kid doesn't know that yet. Correct mounting technique and then sitting correctly, use of the reins to stop and turn, use of the leg for forward. If you have a round pen, good place to start them on their own, if not, if the person is very young, a lunge line. Getting the new rider to walk and both sitting and posting trot and diaganols as well as stopping turning, circles, changes of direction will keep her busy for quite some time!

Don't do it. The liability far outweighs the benefits. Give him the name of a reputable, insured instructor in the area.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Don't do it. The liability far outweighs the benefits. Give him the name of a reputable, insured instructor in the area.
    This, unless you are a licensed instructor at a public boarding/lesson barn and can get them to sign a waiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Agree; apart from the legal liability, there's the risk of pissing off your husband's boss if something goes wrong. Not a position you or your husband want to be in.

Why not invite the girl over to pet noses, then give the boss a referral to your favorite schooling place?

2 members found this post helpful.

My husband and I both gave him the name of my trainer, plus the other trainer at that barn that specializes in children and has a GREAT schooling horse who digs her job. It's not my horse...thing. He is super good, calm, and balances them, but he doesn't enjoy every second of kids like other horses do, know what I mean? I put my friends 2 year old on him all the time, he usually just stands there, but when it's time to come off the kid starts screaming/crying, and will tangle himself in my horses mane for dear life. My boy just stands there patiently as adults are trying to untangle him from him, lol.

Thank you for giving me an idea of where to start, I was at a loss on how to structure my lessons! However, I don't think it's going to happen. They don't like when their child gets dirty, and we all know horse business is dirty. They also don't want their child cleaning pens or anything of that sort, and while I'm not saying their child is going to be slave labor, learning how to feed and clean is necessary. I told him a full care hunter/jumper barn where the horses are handed to you, ready, will be more their style. I will not be responsible for a making a horse diva.

Stay away from that situation.

3 members found this post helpful.