The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can Horses get mange??

My senior gelding has been having ongoing skin issues which seem to never really go away...started off this summer with what seemed like typical scratches on the pasterns/fetlocks -however these scaly scabby oozing crusts are extremely itchy...and it's not just on the lower legs ...there's patches of this on various spots on his upper legs, ventral midline of his belly, neck,back...and his face/under his jaw too...he's started itching himself on everything to the point where he's itching himself raw and creating wounds

I treated him for NTW about a month and a half ago-double Equimaxx ...not really much improvement

Buddy is pastured with my yearling..and they mostly liveoutside except for bad weather...haven't been exposed to anybody or anything new, and none of my other horses are exhibiting what he is showing

We do have a lot of foxes around our farm...my small animal vet told me that they carry it, and it could be wHats causing my dogs severe itching too?!

If they can get mange...how do you treat it

Yes, but mange is a general term meaning a mite infestation.

But it sounds like turkey mites- aka: chiggers. I had a gelding that would break out in chiggers all the way from the ground to his ears when we would go riding in the southern part of the state.

Do you have clay soils and a wild turkey population in the area?

Smile JMHO !!

Yes horses can get mange, so can you/dogs/cats etc. but....I'd think a whole lotta other things first. Doubt seriously they are getting it from local wildlife.
    You know his itching/hives may be from just one bug bite or bites that causes him a generalized systemic allergic reaction. I reference "sweet itch" from a gnat(culocoides/no see ums) and the horrible itching that ensues. OR you could be dealing with scratches on his ankles and rain rot or a skin infection or a fungus everywhere else.
    Wash all the bad areas in betadine scrub or nolvasan wash. Dry it good and leave it open to air. Repeat a few times. See what happens. It willl improve if it's bacterial/fungal as those kill it. If it's bugs then try bug ointments or something to protect them. I just doubt the pastern thing is the same thing unless it's a plant allergy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Yes horses can get mange, so can you/dogs/cats etc. but....I'd think a whole lotta other things first. Doubt seriously they are getting it from local wildlife.
    You know his itching/hives may be from just one bug bite or bites that causes him a generalized systemic allergic reaction. I reference "sweet itch" from a gnat(culocoides/no see ums) and the horrible itching that ensues. OR you could be dealing with scratches on his ankles and rain rot or a skin infection or a fungus everywhere else.
    Wash all the bad areas in betadine scrub or nolvasan wash. Dry it good and leave it open to air. Repeat a few times. See what happens. It willl improve if it's bacterial/fungal as those kill it. If it's bugs then try bug ointments or something to protect them. I just doubt the pastern thing is the same thing unless it's a plant allergy.
    It could be a plant allergy...there's a lot of weeds/poison ivy in that pasture in spots?? As far as rain rot/scratches I've dealt with both many times -it does not look/feel like either...plus I've never known it to be itchy...it usually hurts and they don't want you touching it...I'm going to clean him/wash those areas as best I can...but he's still very itchy...I need to get to the bottom of it and find out what's causing him such extreme itchiness

Before treating with anything I would have your vet do a skin scraping.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.