The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Yes I would. I love my job, middle school ag teacher. We do a lot of neat things and I am also always learning.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    The lotto is really high. I asked DH, who just started his new career a few months ago if he would quit if we won the lotto. He said "Nah, I have to see where this goes! It's so cool!"

He is so geeked to go to work EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And he has to deal with gov't crap! But he's happy! I think that's cool.

Me? Yeah, no problem. I have ideas how I'd spend that money but it wouldn't save me work at all. It would just give me the chance to fulfill my little dream. One way or another, someday when I grow up, I'm going to have this little farm where kids get to come as foster children and they can help take care of some retiree horses and whatever else I manage to end up with. And they will learn to be loved. I will love them and be fierce and show them that someone cares.

I don't need the lotto but man, that would sure help. I have had this "dream" for as long as I can remember which is kind of odd. But it persists. so I think it's what I'm meant to do.

In the meantime since I'm NOT winning the lotto and CAN'T do it all alone, i'll do the little stuff as it shows me opportunity.

Ah, but to dream.
    this brought a tear to my eye--- there's a property for sale close to where I grew up, it used to be a horse place when I was a kid, in the middle of residential area, they had lots of horses there, barn, indoor, etc. over the years it's gotten neglected and run down, would need a complete over haul. We (hubs and I) were looking at it with my former trainer, and I was all excited-- "you could have programs" as this place is basically the last 150 acres not developed for some sort of housing or shopping

it would be PERFECT if you won the lottery and rehabbed the place!

If I could get DH to quit work (hes a geek) I would find houses somewhere (no where near where we live now) that need elbow grease and rehab, fix up and sell for what we have in them + a bit.
    Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cute-Bungalo...item19d76b35f4
    Good way to live in an area to see if we like it, weve lived in the same area our whole life. Weve done 2 of the houses weve lived in and we havent divorced yet. DH can fix anything but with kids taking all our $$ and job taking all out time its not easy to do what else we would like to do to our house. So I guess we would finish fixing up our own house first, sell it then get an RV and go.
    If DH had his way he would work on cars all day, he can fix anything. Hes not a car merchanic by day.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

If we won the lottery hubby could quit his job and putter around on a tractor as much as he wanted and I would be a professional student. We would finish our property and then buy another bigger one and start all over.

Yes, I probably would. I love what I do. But the pressure of not having to depend on it to support my choosen addiction would reduce many of the negatives associated with the job. Work and Job are 2 different things. I like my job too, but I really love my WORK. And my work is a part of what makes me ME. If you get me really going in a conversation along my work lines it doesn't take long to realize I am really passionate about it. Just as I am about eventing. Fortutately I am better at my job than I am eventing!!

DH is retired. Loved his work but not so enamored with his "job". He has to have "job" though. He constantly works on something here at home and tells me they are things he HAS to do (like it is a job!). When they are not "Have-to's" at all.

I think many of us type A's would still work.

I would work because I love teaching. I would teach fewer classes (maybe 3) and not stress out for income over the Christmas and summer break! I would buy more horses! They'd still be boarded because I worked at a barn and am under no false impression that want them home! But I'd buy one or two more horses, including a mule of course. I'd sponsor some retired horses and rescue horses too.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I'd work:

1) On my seat
    2) On my horse
    3) On brewing my own delectable goodness
    4) On the farm and garden
    5) On getting back into running shape
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

1 members found this post helpful.

No way. I would ride and attempt to be more "domestic". (I suspect that would fall to the wayside real quick. Poor hubby.)

I would for sure do volunteer work, try to make my photography hobby something professional (but ONLY part time).

Hubby is thankfully supportive of the at home thing. I am going to try to squeak out another 3-6 years and then stay home. Alas, I know that things changes and plans change...I can dream though!

When I was working at the United Nations I would not have given it up for anything- travel, intellectual stimulation, at the very center of world events, interesting people from all walks of life, great hours and benefits. It was a career and a milieu in which I thrived.

Now that I am retired ( or re-tired as my husband likes to call it), I would not give IT up for anything. Master of my schedule and associations and (fortunately) with excellent health insurance and a retirement pension generous enough to support almost any endeavor --except, perhaps the sport horse breeding in which we are engaged!-- we rejoice in our freedom and hope only to have tons of time to fully explore it!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.