The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I would work for sure. I could never walk away from the project I am on right now, although if I won the lottery I would certainly use that as leverage to work less hours in the office.

If I had a boat load of money I would also start a non-profit "Horses in the Hood" program for at-risk girls in the Bay Area.

But honestly, I like working, and learning, and meeting interesting people, and just feeling like I am contributing to the world. But if I had enough money that I did not HAVE to work, I would certainly negotiate a much more flexible schedule so I could spend more time outside in daylight.

Actually, having thought about it... I think if I did not have to work, I would go to vet school (finally) and then when I graduated, I would do sliding scale care for people with pet companions and little money. I would donate services to rescues and animals in need. These are the things that would truly make me happy.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

4 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't tie myself down to a regular job, but I would engage in a variety of projects, paid or unpaid, as I felt the need for that kind of mental stimulation. There are so many things I would like to learn more about and/or try.

My vocation is my occupation and I will always be involved in the horses. The goal is to finally have my own farm, be it lease or own, so yes, I'll be working until the day I die.

Right now money's too tight to think about any other option, but with the lotto being where it is this week, I've given this a bunch of thought, and yes. I'm happiest when I'm working.

No. Just manage my stuff.

Finding or having new and/or challenging activities is not work, because you can pick them and pursue them as you wish.

Doing what interests you, or you and your SO, not what someone else directs is ideal.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s up with years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

2 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I've worked for various corporations my whole Working Life.
    Would I turn my back on that?
    In a heartbeat.

But I've also volunteered for almost 20 years and would never stop.
    That would be my "job" & the only one I've ever felt committed to.

I've been working at a "real" job 4/D/W for the last 16 years and could easily cut back to 2 or 3.
    If I did not need the income & health insurance I'd have done so already.

As retirement approaches (3 years! Yay!!) I am more than ready.
    Of course, with horses at home the work never really stops, but at least I will be able to spend more daylight with the horses.
    And not be so wiped-out when I get home that feeding is about all I can manage.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Im not sure....Im getting close to the age where Im thinking retirement, but Im afraid I could really become a recluse if work didnt force me to get in the truck and drive somewhere and interact with people. I have so much fun stuff to do right at home, with dogs and chickens and horses and gardens (and Dish TV and my computer), that Id be perfectly content staying home.

Sitting here at my computer, with my sheltie curled around my chair, farting up a storm, why would I ever want to leave?

p.....u.....

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    Those of you that say you won't work but will start a farm, either don't count that as work, or have never lived on a farm
    Yeah but presumably you could hire the help you needed, making the farm work that you choose to do very enjoyable. Imagine being able to own a farm and take vacations because you can actually afford to hire capable people to manage it in your absence?

I would absolutely work, but I would find something that I like. I have always loved working, I just despise my current job with a fiery passion!

Time to ride, travel, visit, read, work out, reconnect with life, my own rules, my own schedule vs. working for a paycheck on someone else's schedule, dime, rules? NO CONTEST.

I'd be outta the office so fast that heads would spin. And I like my job.

1 members found this post helpful.

I actually really like my job. I also spent a decade AFTER college in training in order to do it. But, I work 50 hours a week and could certainly slow down....

Ah, who am I kidding. No. I would buy my DH the sports car he has been craving (Aston Martin DBS), make sure my kids are set for college and have a little nest egg, donate a huge amount to charity... and then do all the traveling I haven't been able to do due to decades of training and working 50 hours a week.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default To work or not to work, that is the question

Considering I'm retired and don't have to work, I don't even consider doing volunteer work for a not-for-profit anymore. I used to work several horse trials, one a not-for-profit and the other our local saddle club. While I did enjoy it as I got to keep up with all my friends that still competed, it got to be a PITA having to hire someone to feed my horses and let my dog out while I worked from 6 AM to 7 PM sometimes. I tried just doing 1/2 day, but I really missed being able to actually watch my friends compete so I quit. Fortunately our saddle club did finally get their not-for-profit status and when they did, I made them an offer to buy ribbons for their various events(2 horse trials, 2 jumper derbies and a driving show) if they bought their ribbons from a certain company that my aunt and uncle started many yrs ago and now their granddaughter runs the business. It came to a pretty hefty donation and when they added 2 more events I told them the donation was not a bottomless pit and that I'd donate pretty much what I had previous yrs ($800)and that was it.

Now, I guess taking care of a small farm and 2 horses and a dog could be considered full time work so I guess I'm still working, unfortunately I'm not getting paid in cash but the rewards are much better.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I couldn't not work. Too restless. However, my choice of work would be vastly different because I wouldn't be motivated by the paycheck. The irony is that I think I would end up out-earning my current wage once I hit my stride.
    Jer 29: 11-13

The job I have? Yeah! It is high stress, but it is challenging and fullfilling for my busy head; they pay well and most stresses are put on by me, and nobody else. I have a lot of freedom. My bosses don't care when I come in, or when I leave - more than once, OK, quite a few times, I got in at 10:30am and ran into my boss's boss' boss, that is the director, (we share the same office wall), he said hi, and we grinned at each other, and I went into my office. He didn't bat an eye. If I am really pissy at something and want to be anti-social, I can shut my office door and brood over my windows.

Besides, they got a gym and personal trainers on site - that is a really bonus here.

The three months in which I could not work due to my visa issue (more than ten years ago) were absolutely the lousiest three months I had in my adult life: One person can only iron so many underwear on any single day without getting incredibly fed up.

I like my job. What I do is interesting and the community of people that do it is relatively small. Like Gloria above, most of the time,if I close my door, no one bothers me. I work early, but if I came in later, it wouldn't be a big deal. My boss does annoy me, but keeping me happy can be a challenge.

I had three months of unemployment between jobs once. I was burned out and needed it, and it was great. However, if it had gone on much longer, I would have been bored to tears.

Interesting replies! By "work" I meant working for The Man (or whomever you work for if not yourself) and bringing in money from an outside source. I certainly consider farm chores to be work!

I put volunteering in a different category since one isn't paid for it - not that it isn't working for the greater good, but it isn't in the work-is-a-four-letter-word category.

I'm finding myself in a position where I don't have to work at the moment. It leaves me feeling...odd...guilty...unproductive...

I guess I work - very part time telecommuting for a startup - but it doesn't really pay the household bills. I have taken on all the household-running duties (horse chores, grocery shopping, random errands, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.) whereas before Mr. PoPo and I split them (and actually he did all the cooking). I'm looking into a few volunteering gigs (therapeutic riding, Center for the Arts, hospice) but in the meantime I'm feeling guilty for not getting up at 6 a.m. every day to work for The Man. Although I have had a shitty few months (friend and her daughter died, MIL died, friend's dad died, parents possibly getting divorced) that I'm kind of emotionally exhausted.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I'd probably do something like this:

1. Quit my job with intentions of traveling, riding more, etc.
    2. Start volunteering
    3. Start helping out everywhere I go
    4. Start helping my friends, former co-workers, etc. with their jobs
    5. Get offered new job as a result of 2, 3 or 4
    6. Work obsessively at new job

Or else I'd just save everybody the trouble and keep the job I have. I've loved every job I've ever had. I'm just a workaholic by nature. Work, to me, is what parties are to other people. I'm the one rearranging napkins at parties, wishing I could go join the caterers. I get a major rush off of knowing I'm contributing, producing, doing a good job, etc. You know that old adage about "nobody on their deathbed ever thought, 'I wish I'd spend more time at work'?" I'd be the one doing exactly that.

I am a weirdo.

If I were able to not have to work, I'd weep for joy. Finally I'd have a clean house AND time to do things I want to do (which kinda sorta qualify as work, ie jewelry-making, antique buying and selling, writing, but which I'd do anyway) rather than get home too wired to sleep but too tired to really accomplish much more than taking the dogs out.

I haven't worked for two years purely by choice. I was very fortunate to come from a family where working would always be an option and not a requirement and even though I went to school and then to graduate school and had a very lucrative career, I decided that I really wanted to focus on my farm and my riding so I effectively "retired". And part of that had to do with my health, for sure. Working 80/90 hour weeks was NOT good for me.

So I've taken the last twoish years and done my own thing. I still have a jam packed day with the horses and the farm and my own projects (and I do a bit of course development on the side for an online university, but it takes up so little of my time that I hardly consider it work at all), but if I need a day to just stay in bed and recuperate or I want to spend hours in the kitchen making all sorts of dishes and sweets, I can. It allows me to do my grocery shopping almost every day and eat super fresh, I spend a lot of time with friends, and my farm is spotless.

But as I'm nearing the completion of year two, I'm finding that I'm a bit stuck in my routine. So I'm going back to work in January. Not full time, but just enough to get me out of the house and back into medicine and research and keep my brain occupied. And if I find that I'm getting sick or overwhelmed, I'll either cut back or stop altogether. But I'm really looking forward to the change!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

I would definitely not work at my current job. It's too stressful and the distances between home, work, and horse are too far. Plus I just did a 14 hour day and I don't get paid overtime. If anything I might work for myself. But I would probably take a lot of time off before I do that- or not. I would just love to be my own boss!