The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Windsor, I liked your post because of your selflessness. I mean...letting someone else have a job. That is so...classy.
    That's me--always putting others' needs ahead of my own.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would donate a lot to the rescue and make sure the organization got the professional help it needed to grow to the point of having several paid staff. Then I would help as I could, but I would also spend more time riding my own horses, gardening, traveling, seeing live music, and other fun things I cannot do right now.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

3 members found this post helpful.

YOU deserve it CGJ.

You deserve it. Sure wish you could win the lotto tomorrow!!!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

I would not work. I would however spend more time doing the therapy thing with my dog. I was laid off lat year and am trying to start up a company, but I find myself working long I to the night so that I can spend to eat the assisted livi home and the elementary school with my dog. We work with autistic and MCI kids at school and it is amazing to see the connection. And At the assisted living community it brings me such joy to see the smiles and hear the stories about the dogs that the residents had over their lives.

Maybe I need to find a way to get paid for doing the pet therapy thing, the I could have the bet of both worlds. But really, I have decided to work volunteer hours into my business plan and any employees I hire would be required to do an hour of volunteer work per week of their own choice...paid time.

Not ever again. I love what I do, but I'd love to be on my own time, getting to go to DD's school, ride whenever, etc. I would probably do volunteer stuff, but nothing that totally tied me down. I'd also want to go horse show & such a lot.

ETA - I used to have a therapy dog who went to work with me. The kids adored her and she loved every minute of it. So did I.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

If I didn't have to work, I wouldn't. But I would have to stay busy because otherwise I think I would get bored quickly! If money was no object, I would start a Standardbred rescue. I would spend my days running that, probably doing some other charity work, riding, and traveling.

If the question is would you keep doing the job you love, as I do, why quit?
    More money will just make the work more interesting, may even make it more work, not less.

Others may rather go to island living, travel the world, paint, whatever they love to do.
    I love working, but there is a time where you get to do less and less work, time/health problems catches up with you and you have to cut back or eventually quit.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would work part-time (1 day per week instead of 3.) I love the challenges of my career and want to keep learning.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Yes. I like my job, and I have lots of goals that accompany it. I'm also lucky to be in a position that allows me to a) work from home most of the time, b) travel, and c) take off time whenever I need. I still wonder how I got so lucky.

Of course, I can understand how someone who doesn't like their job would feel differently.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Yes- but I'm going to qualify that. I would want to have a project that was worthwhile on a grander scheme. Research, community outreach, volunteering for a cause, etc. I'd keep up with my part-time and freelance work- I unreservedly love both of those. It's the job-that-pays-the-bills that is making my hair turn gray far earlier than is strictly necessary.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I will still work, probably harder than I do now, since more money would allow me to start more projects, buy more horses etc.
    Those of you that say you won't work but will start a farm, either don't count that as work, or have never lived on a farm

At my current job, absolutely. I work in IT, and still feel such a passionate, child-like wonder for this complex infrastructure that I more or less fully understand. I get chills thinking of the technological advances being made in the industry, and how much of an impact they have on the world. We're pushing ourselves to get better all the time. Love it, love it, love it.

Yes, but only as a volunteer with animal rescues. The rest of the time I would ride, and ride... and ride. I may ride a horse for someone else too... but nothing crazy.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

There ya go!! Excellent idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by StellaTMK View Post
    I would not work. I would however spend more time doing the therapy thing with my dog. I was laid off lat year and am trying to start up a company, but I find myself working long I to the night so that I can spend to eat the assisted livi home and the elementary school with my dog. We work with autistic and MCI kids at school and it is amazing to see the connection. And At the assisted living community it brings me such joy to see the smiles and hear the stories about the dogs that the residents had over their lives.

Maybe I need to find a way to get paid for doing the pet therapy thing, the I could have the bet of both worlds. But really, I have decided to work volunteer hours into my business plan and any employees I hire would be required to do an hour of volunteer work per week of their own choice...paid time.

yes, I would... to a certain degree.

I get paid to do some really cool things and I would keep doing them. Might not ask for money any more, but i couldn't give them up. If I didn't need to make a living myself, I'd probably even expand some of the things I do to include providing servives to people that need it but can't afford it. I have been accused of giving away my services too often anyway. This way I could do it without even thinking about it! Would by so fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CobJockey View Post
    At my current job, absolutely. I work in IT, and still feel such a passionate, child-like wonder for this complex infrastructure that I more or less fully understand. I get chills thinking of the technological advances being made in the industry, and how much of an impact they have on the world. We're pushing ourselves to get better all the time. Love it, love it, love it.
    Ditto, except replace IT infrastructure with the human body, and the technological advances with new molecularly targeted drugs, genomics being applied to various diseases etc. I might work fewer hours (I do 70-80/wk on a regular basis), but then the natural progression of my career is fewer hours (more like 50-60) within a few years anyway. And I'm still at the point where a new crashing patient rolling into the ICU at midnight is exciting.

After 9 years of med school and grad school, I can't see giving it all up, even if I did win the powerball. Besides, I can only ride for 1 or 2 hours a day, gotta do something with the other 22.
    BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Aging with no children (not by choice), no family (by death and my divorce), having grown up with folks with lots of money who were sick and miserable, watching my parent's friends grow old and sick and miserable--them having to get affection from their paid caregivers due to having alienated their adult children, and all these years observing lots of other folks who had plenty of money but were basically unhappy despite outward appearances and their best efforts to hide it, even from themselves, about ten years ago I reached the conclusion that the only way to be happy across the long haul into old age was to be of service to those most in need.

For me, with my skill set, that's doing the work that I love with the bereaved, abused, mentally ill and addicted. I even volunteer on Saturdays doing art with the residents at a shelter for the homeless unmedicated mentally ill.

I can't imagine doing anything else.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    yeah I would work
    Me too!

I'd choose something Big. Worthwhile. Offensively Pro-labor or I'd start a massive campaign to give financial education to po' folks underserved by banks and the financial industry in general. I'd work in some venue where I could Walk my Marxist Walk and turn heads.

I have learned that I'm not all the way happy unless I have some goal, and trying to produce something that is larger than me.

Great thread. Not expecting the question and answering quickly-- just for fun and by instinct gives clarity. How fun is that?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

No i would not work. After working full time for 35+ years, and looking forward to working until Im 90. You betcha i would quit work. I think i would sleep for a week or two, and then maybe just maybe think about actually leaving the house.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

You intrigue me.

I like taking care of people too. bUt I guess my question is...who is going to take care of you?

If you figure it out, let me know. After reading your post I realized that I am essentially alone. When/If I die, I want it to be a great party. But I have to have adage! Danged people.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsRus View Post
    Aging with no children (not by choice), no family (by death and my divorce), having grown up with folks with lots of money who were sick and miserable, watching my parent's friends grow old and sick and miserable--them having to get affection from their paid caregivers due to having alienated their adult children, and all these years observing lots of other folks who had plenty of money but were basically unhappy despite outward appearances and their best efforts to hide it, even from themselves, about ten years ago I reached the conclusion that the only way to be happy across the long haul into old age was to be of service to those most in need.

For me, with my skill set, that's doing the work that I love with the bereaved, abused, mentally ill and addicted. I even volunteer on Saturdays doing art with the residents at a shelter for the homeless unmedicated mentally ill.

I can't imagine doing anything else.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...