The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default If you didn't have to work, would you?

Just wondering...
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Well, considering I do, more or less, what I love, yes. BUT, if money wasn't a concern, I could be a whole lot choosier about how I go about it.

I would probably travel a lot more, but otherwise I'd come home and just do what I love.

1 members found this post helpful.

No...I'd do therapy with mini horses and ride and pilates....work..lol,no way!

3 members found this post helpful.

Heck no! But take that with a grain of salt, because I don't have my dream job. And I have no clue what my dream job is....
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I would do charity work, therapy with my dog, ....get a couple more dogs. Ride (get a horse first), Travel. But I would have to do something productive after a bit.

No...I wish I would win the lottery so I didn't have to work. Then I would buy a huge farm and rescue horses.

Madness. I used to think I would. That was A) when I had a job I liked with nice people, and B) before I realized that any reasonably intelligent, sane adult human can occupy her time pleasantly without punching a clock. I had no idea, back then - I thought a jobless life would be like being a kid, all boredom and nuttin' to do. Hah. I could fill my life quite nicely without this j.o.b. bs.

No.

My life-long dream is to one day have the money to buy my own tropical island. Kind of like Richard Branson. The most work I'd do is to decide between a mojito or a sangria. And I don't even like mojitos, so my job would be easy
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

8 members found this post helpful.

I have a floating definition of "work". If I don't like to do something, it's"work",whether I get money for it or not.
    Given that definition, anything can become work, even the things I usually love.
    So I'd probably be working, no matter what.
    I think if I could change my attitude about my current job, I could be happier.
    I wish myself good luck with that

Hell to the no.

4 members found this post helpful.

The lotto is really high. I asked DH, who just started his new career a few months ago if he would quit if we won the lotto. He said "Nah, I have to see where this goes! It's so cool!"

He is so geeked to go to work EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And he has to deal with gov't crap! But he's happy! I think that's cool.

Me? Yeah, no problem. I have ideas how I'd spend that money but it wouldn't save me work at all. It would just give me the chance to fulfill my little dream. One way or another, someday when I grow up, I'm going to have this little farm where kids get to come as foster children and they can help take care of some retiree horses and whatever else I manage to end up with. And they will learn to be loved. I will love them and be fierce and show them that someone cares.

I don't need the lotto but man, that would sure help. I have had this "dream" for as long as I can remember which is kind of odd. But it persists. so I think it's what I'm meant to do.

In the meantime since I'm NOT winning the lotto and CAN'T do it all alone, i'll do the little stuff as it shows me opportunity.

Ah, but to dream.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

8 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

No, unless you count charity and volunteer work. That I would do (and do more of) and working more horses... but work-work? Hell to the no!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

2 members found this post helpful.

I would have to feel as though I were doing something productive with my life, giving back to society, blah blah blah, but work a nine-to-five job answering to someone else? Having to abide by "company policy" regarding time off and timekeeping and business attire? Hell no. That would be O-V-E-R.

And besides, I wouldn't want to take a position I didn't need away from someone who DID need it. I mean that would just be wrong.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

10 members found this post helpful.

Windsor, I liked your post because of your selflessness. I mean...letting someone else have a job. That is so...classy.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

5 members found this post helpful.

One of my earliest memories is of sitting in the old swing hanging from the pear tree in our side yard. Mom was standing in the house, behind the screen door and we were both laughing and having a grand time. I remember so clearly being sorry that Dad wasn't there to join in the fun, and also thinking how lucky I was to be a girl so that when I grew up I could stay home, raise the kids and not have to go to work. Yes, this was in the 50's. Funny how things work out. I ended up putting in a full working career. Based on that memory, however, I think it's a pretty safe bet that, if I didn't have to work, I wouldn't have.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yeah I would work
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I would work 2 days a week or have something like what BuddyRoo wants. I love me some kids (they are funny as all get out!) and even with my soured on the general public attitude, having kids around who want to be there....that would be fun!

No way!! I have plenty of other things I would rather do that would occupy all of my time that don't involve a job!

I volunteered for many years at a non-profit camp and I would go back and do that in a heartbeat if I won the lotto. I truly enjoy making a difference in people's lives and working with horses in the process is a great bonus.

Absolutely not!