The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default People Who Have Blogs-Buying Your Domain Name

I am thinking about buying my domain name but am not sure if it makes a difference to blog traffic. Did it increase yours? If you own your name does it give you more control over your blog set-up? Did it change anything at all?

I have a hard time figuring out computer language and that's the main reason I am using blogger, it makes things so easy for me but there are times when I want to be able control the look at bit more.

Another thing, can anyone tell me how to link to my blog without the whole address? I want it to say Crackerdog Farm but it goes to the blog when it's clicked on.

Crackerdog Farm

>>> [url= YOUR WEBSITE HERE ]Crackerdog Farm [ /url] (just remove the spaces)

I'm having this same struggle with my blog. I want to buy to domain name, but I kind of think, whats the point? The point of my blog was, mostly, to keep my family and friends up to date on our soon to be nomadic life style and to keep a loose record of Willow's progress. It started as a hobby, but I'm actually gaining friends. I guess I don't REALLY need to own my domain name, however, I would like to be able to post videos (something I can't do since the switch to Wordpress....grr) and have more control over my setup.

I'm thinking about moving back to blogspot, but I've swapped back and forth so many times already that it seems pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Guys, owning your own domain name is just that: you own "www.yourname.com". Buying your own domain name doesn't even come with any hosting space, it's literally JUST the name.

So if you want more control over the look of your site, then you need to buy your own domain name, buy hosting space, link the domain to the hosting space, and then figure out what you're doing with that hosting space. You can install a CMS, or you can put up a "from scratch" website.

Sometimes, with CMS like Blogger/Wordpress/etc, buying the domain name upgrades you to "premium" level where you can then tinker with the layout of your site. But you should check into that, and it will vary from provider to provider.

Also, the "point" of buying your domain name is simply to create a more professional feel. If the only people who are looking at your blog/website are family/friends, it's perfectly fine to keep .blogspot, .wordpress, .drupalgardens, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Crackerdog Farm

>>> [url= YOUR WEBSITE HERE ]Crackerdog Farm [ /url] (just remove the spaces)
    Thank you so much, it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Guys, owning your own domain name is just that: you own "www.yourname.com". Buying your own domain name doesn't even come with any hosting space, it's literally JUST the name.

So if you want more control over the look of your site, then you need to buy your own domain name, buy hosting space, link the domain to the hosting space, and then figure out what you're doing with that hosting space. You can install a CMS, or you can put up a "from scratch" website.

Sometimes, with CMS like Blogger/Wordpress/etc, buying the domain name upgrades you to "premium" level where you can then tinker with the layout of your site. But you should check into that, and it will vary from provider to provider.

Also, the "point" of buying your domain name is simply to create a more professional feel. If the only people who are looking at your blog/website are family/friends, it's perfectly fine to keep .blogspot, .wordpress, .drupalgardens, etc.
    Thank you. I have been getting a lot of conflicting information in web searches about this subject. I think I will just leave things as they are.

I recently went through the process of buying a domain name and getting my website up and going. Since I did it more for photography I went with Bluehost, and then added Wordpress and Prophoto to that.

I do not own a photography business, but in the future I would like to. I've been wanting a better way to share my photos and blog with my family and friends so I thought this was the best way to do it. (I HATE Facebook, but it is so hard because that's where I am posting stuff since all my family is out of state.)

Now, I am totally computer dumb so it has been a process. I do have a ton of control over what the site looks like and but I have to play with it a lot. (There's no coding with what I use, and Prophoto and wordpress.org have tons of tutorials. VERY helpful!)

I think it is worth it, but it totally depends on if you are willing to spend the money and take the time to learn.

Wanted to come back and add my site:

thefrostedbarn.com

Just got it with some content on there and will keep working on it. Thought it might help to see different platforms.
    Last edited by SFrost; Dec. 16, 2012 at 01:26 AM.