The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prascend or Compounded Pergolide?

Hello! Horse has been on Pergo for about 1.5 years. Switched to Prascend in August - with no difference. Didn't lose weight. As when on Pergo, no abscesses. Considering going back to Pergo due to high cost of Prascend since it seems to have done the same things for him (no abscesses) and same weight. On 1.5 mg. Also takes Thyro-L. Any (constructive) thoughts on staying on Prascend vs. going back to Pergolide? Thanks!
    Green Bean Farm

It is illegal for pharmacies to compound and for vets to write a script for pergolide. My friend got her vet to write a script for pergolide but then the pharmacy called her and told her they would no longer sell it since it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    It is illegal for pharmacies to compound and for vets to write a script for pergolide. My friend got her vet to write a script for pergolide but then the pharmacy called her and told her they would no longer sell it since it is illegal.
    I don't think this is true. I have unsubscribed from the Cushings Yahoo group (too much information) but I thought it was not possible to get 1mg dosages of compounded Pergolide, any other dosage was ok?

I can't really comment on the cost. My little pony only takes .5 mg Prascend a day and it's not that expensive. In theory, both should work (if the compounding pharmacy is good), but the Prascend should have a longer and more stable shelf life, and therefore more "accurate" dosing.

I'd go back on the compounded version if your vet will continue to prescribe. You've done your own experiment and apparently your pharmacy is doing a good job of compounding it.

Studies have shown that not all compounding pharmacies are as good, but if you notice no difference and haven't been able to reduce the dose, why pay the extra bucks.

I did the same thing when the prescription version came out for a month. I'd just had to increase the dose of her compounded pergolide. I tried the presciption at the lower dose and still had to increase it. She's now on 3mg/day. I just can't afford $300/month versus $110/month.

We have just had 2 different pharmacies in 2 different states decide that they will not ship out of state with all of the liabilities associated with it. So good luck finding a compounding pharmacy that is willing to ship.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Quote Originally Posted by jherold View Post
    I'd go back on the compounded version if your vet will continue to prescribe. You've done your own experiment and apparently your pharmacy is doing a good job of compounding it.

Studies have shown that not all compounding pharmacies are as good, but if you notice no difference and haven't been able to reduce the dose, why pay the extra bucks.

I did the same thing when the prescription version came out for a month. I'd just had to increase the dose of her compounded pergolide. I tried the presciption at the lower dose and still had to increase it. She's now on 3mg/day. I just can't afford $300/month versus $110/month.
    jherold when my small pony was on 3 mg/day I was getting compounded capsules from www.thrivingpets.com. It was only costing me $1.10 a day--I cannot recommend them enough! His bloodwork was always within normal limits on their meds.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.