The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Regardless of Booker's motives, I admire the fact that he's going to try it. I guarantee we won't see Rick Perry give it a try.

Re access to nutritional food- I've noticed a huge difference in the quality of produce offered by the major grocery chain here in Texas between stores in poorer areas versus the well to do areas. Same prices just poorer quality.
    Hey, Booker got us to talk about an otherwise ignorable little city in NJ. That's worth something.

And I think folks there probably pay slightly more for poor quality produce than in other less urban areas.

The $133 number and my consistent way of eating now is cause for some data gathering. I'll keep my food receipts for a month and report back to y'all on next OT day.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Hey, Booker got us to talk about an otherwise ignorable little city in NJ. That's worth something.

And I think folks there probably pay slightly more for poor quality produce than in other less urban areas.

The $133 number and my consistent way of eating now is cause for some data gathering. I'll keep my food receipts for a month and report back to y'all on next OT day.
    Ignorable little city? LOL

Newark (play /ˈnjuː.ərk/)[13] is the largest city (by population) in the U.S. state of New Jersey, and the seat of Essex County. One of the nation's major air, shipping, and rail hubs, the city had a population of 277,140 in 2010,[8] retaining its position as the largest city in the state and making it the nation's 67th most-populous municipality.[14] After reaching a peak of 442,337 residents counted in the 1930 Census, the city's population saw a decline of nearly 40% as residents moved to surrounding suburbs, with the increase in 2010 of 3,594 (+1.3%) from the 273,546 counted in the 2000 Census marking the second census in 70 years in which the city's population had grown from the previous enumeration.[5][6][7][15][16]

Located in the heart of New Jersey's Gateway Region, Newark is the second largest city in the New York metropolitan area, approximately 8 miles (13 km) west of Manhattan. Port Newark, the major container shipping terminal in the Port of New York and New Jersey, is the largest on the East Coast. Newark Liberty International Airport was first municipal commercial airport in the United States and today one of its busiest.[17][18][19]

Newark is headquarters to numerous corporations, such as Prudential Financial and PSEG. It is home to several universities, including Rutgers and the New Jersey Institute of Technology, and cultural and sports venues, among them the New Jersey Performing Arts Center and Prudential Center.

A culturally diverse city, Newark is divided into five geographical wards, and contains neighborhoods ranging in character from bustling urban districts to quiet suburban enclaves. Newark's Branch Brook Park is the oldest county park in the United States and is home the nation's largest collection of cherry blossom trees, which number about 4,300.[20][21][22]

Demographics
    Newark, New Jersey

2010 Census

As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 277,140 people, 94,542 households, and 61,641 families residing in the city. The population density was 11,458.3 inhabitants per square mile (4,424.1 /km2). There were 109,520 housing units at an average density of 4,528.1 per square mile (1,748.3 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 26.31% (72,914) White, 52.35% (145,085) African American, 0.61% (1,697) Native American, 1.62% (4,485) Asian, 0.04% (118) Pacific Islander, 15.22% (42,181) from other races, and 3.85% (10,660) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 33.83% (93,746) of the population.[5]

There were 94,542 households out of which 33.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 28.0% were married couples living together, 28.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.8% were non-families. 27.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.36.[5]

In the city the age distribution of the population shows 25.6% under the age of 18, 11.9% from 18 to 24, 31.9% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 8.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32.3 years. For every 100 females there were 97.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.3 males.[5]

The Census Bureau's 2006-2010 American Community Survey showed that (in 2010 inflation-adjusted dollars) median household income was $35,659 (with a margin of error of +/- $1,009) and the median family income was $41,684 (+/- $1,116). Males had a median income of $34,350 (+/- $1,015) versus $32,865 (+/- $973) for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,367 (+/- $364). About 22.0% of families and 25.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.9% of those under age 18 and 22.4% of those age 65 or over.[54]
    Poverty rates, as of 2003
    Poverty and lack of investment

Poverty remains a consistent problem in Newark, despite its revitalization in recent years. As of 2010, roughly one-third of the city's population is impoverished.[55] The 1967 riots resulted in White flight, a significant population loss of the city's middle class, many of them Jews, which continued from the 1970s through to the 1990s.[56] The city lost about 130,000 residents between 1960 and 1990. The city's formerly most populous ethnic group, White,[57] declined from 82.8% in 1950 to 26.3% by 2010.[58]

Portions of Newark are rebounding and improving due to the abandonment and demolition of public housing projects, especially the Baxter Terrace area. Baxter Park, a mixed-use development started in July 2011 that will include 400 apartment units along with shopping and recreation space, will replace the 500 units in the original Baxter Terrace development, which was demolished starting in 2008.[59]

Here are some other tidbits about Newark:

Political corruption

Newark has been marred with episodes of political corruption throughout the years. Five of the previous seven Mayors of Newark have been indicted on criminal charges, including the previous three Mayors: Hugh Addonizio, Kenneth Gibson, and Sharpe James. As reported by Newsweek: "... every mayor since 1962 (except the current one, Cory Booker) has been indicted for crimes committed while in office."[90]

Crime

In 1996, Time magazine ranked Newark "The Most Dangerous City in the Nation."[94] By 2007, however, the city recorded a total of 99 homicides for the year, representing a significant drop from the record of 161 murders set in 1981.[95][96][97][98] The number of murders in 2008 dropped to 65, a decline of 30% from the previous year and the lowest in the city since 2002 when there were also 65 murders.[99]

In 2011 Newark recorded 90 homicides, after experiencing 86 homicides in 2010.[100] Overall, there was a 6% increase in crime numbers over the previous year, including a rise in carjackings for the third straight year.[101] Along with the increase in crime, the Newark Police Department increased its recovery of illegally owned guns in 2011 to 696, up from 278 in 2010.[100]

After being forced to lay off 162 officers due to economic reasons in 2010, the NPD was able to rehire eight of those officers in 2012, with plans for another 17 rehires later in the year.[100]

Public schools

As of the 2006-2010 American Community Survey, 16.0% of Newark residents ages 25 and over had never attended high school and 15.9% didn't graduate, while 68.1% had at least graduated from high school, including the 12.3% who had earned a bachelor's degree or higher. The total school enrollment in Newark city was 75,025 in the 2006-2010 ACS, with pre-primary school enrollment of 10,560, elementary or high school enrollment of 46,691 and college enrollment of 17,774.[54]

The Newark Public Schools, a state-operated school district, is the largest school system in New Jersey. The district is one of 31 Abbott districts statewide,[116] which are now referred to as "SDA Districts" based on the requirement for the state to cover all costs for school building and renovation projects in these districts under the supervision of the New Jersey Schools Development Authority.[117][118] As of the 2009-10 school year, the district's 75 schools had an enrollment of 39,443 students and 2,685 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.69.[119]

The city's public schools are among the lowest-performing in the state, leading to a take over by the state government in 1995 with the intention of improvement. The school district continues to struggle with low high school graduation rates and low standardized test scores. A notable exception to this was Science Park High School, which was the 69th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 322 schools statewide, in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2010 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 50th in 2008 out of 316 schools. Technology High School has a GreatSchools rating of 9/10 was ranked 165th in New Jersey Monthly's 2010 rankings. Newark high schools ranked in the bottom 10% of New Jersey Monthly'ss 2010 list include Central (274th), East Side (293rd), Newark Vocational (304th), Weequahic (310th), Barringer (311th), Malcolm X Shabazz (314th) and West Side (319th).[120] Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg donated a challenge grant of $100 million to the district in 2010, choosing Newark because he stated he believed in Mayor Cory Booker and Governor Chris Christie's abilities.[121]

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    He is mayor of Newark. Should he have to spend time on SNAP benefits to figure out a lack of access to healthy food in his city?
    before he can connect with those people, he has to have some common ground. I'm sure he understands the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    before he can connect with those people, he has to have some common ground. I'm sure he understands the issue.
    Did you read any of the excerpts I just posted? The city needs more than a mayor taking SNAP benefits and Tweeting about it.

I hope this turns out as well you some of you think it can. I really do.

Are you from NJ?
    I used to live in Jersey City, so roughly six milrs from Newark, and I love Cory Booker.

The man ran right past his "entourage" to run into his neighbor's burning house, find her on the second floor, and pull her out. He bodyguards were like, "WTF NO!" but in he went and saved her life.

How on earth is it possible to hate on him?

I have wanted him to be president since before he became more known in the news.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I used to live in Jersey City, so roughly six milrs from Newark, and I love Cory Booker.

The man ran right past his "entourage" to run into his neighbor's burning house, find her on the second floor, and pull her out. He bodyguards were like, "WTF NO!" but in he went and saved her life.

How on earth is it possible to hate on him?

I have wanted him to be president since before he became more known in the news.
    Not once have I said that I hate him. I have no dislike for the man. I just don't think that this act is more than that. An act.

I think it is extremely admirable that he did that for his neighbor, but that doesn't mean that I have to like him as politician.

It's too bad that Christie is not physically fit enough to ever be POTUS. He is more my style :hide:

1 members found this post helpful.

To both posts of Newark Facts.

So Newark does the Detroit genre less well than Detroit. Does Harlem or the Bronx without the culture of Harlem or the five boroughs address.

I'm not saying that Newark ought to be ignored. I'm saying that few Americans outside of the Northeast would know more about that city than that there's a major airport there. You could fly into Newark, stay overnight as part of a layover and never learn much about the rest of the city at all.

If Booker changes that, then good for him!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Not once have I said that I hate him. I have no dislike for the man.
    color me surprised. Your posts really make you sound like you dislike him.

4 members found this post helpful.

Here is another good read on Booker, that I think fairly represents both sides of the fence.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...ker/index.html

color me surprised. Your posts really make you sound like you dislike him.
    I dislike dog and pony shows.

So, as a poor grad student, could you sustain yourself with a monthly food budget of $133?
    Actually, yes.

Can and have, when I worked a job that paid $800 a month and my rent was $500. I ate vegetarian, cooked everything from scratch, and managed to eat pretty healthy.

I posted on a previous off topic about this and how it is completely normal for me to live on $30 in groceries a week even now that I can afford well past that and got practically eviscerated. Ookkayy?

Anyone who wants to come over is welcome to dinner. I make two weeks worth of chilli for about $5.

3 members found this post helpful.

I hope this turns out as well you some of you think it can. I really do.
    Really? How bad can it be? He fails and makes a fool of himself?

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Actually, yes.

Can and have, when I worked a job that paid $800 a month and my rent was $500. I ate vegetarian, cooked everything from scratch, and managed to eat pretty healthy.

I posted on a previous off topic about this and how it is completely normal for me to live on $30 in groceries a week even now that I can afford well past that and got practically eviscerated. Ookkayy?

Anyone who wants to come over is welcome to dinner. I make two weeks worth of chilli for about $5.
    Booker is a vegetarian, so he should be in pretty good shape.

I feel like you have this idea that this is going to make a huge difference. I don't feel that it will have such a profound impact.

Click that NY Times article.

They do a much better job than me of explaining why (for the most part) national and local opinions of Booker are very different.

Even if he does, it sounds like he's still ahead of every other mayor they've had for the last half a century, provided he finishes his term without getting indicted.

Explain how him living like so many people in his city already do is going to make a difference.
    Perhaps walking in the shoes of some of his constituents will give him a clearer picture of what they go through on a very basic level rather than governing from a strictly privileged viewpoint. Whether it is a "publicity stunt" or not, I think it is a good thing.

It isn't as if no other politician hasn't done this before. I know I've read at various times through the years of other government officials/politicians trying to live off food stamps. Anything that brings elected officials closer to the electorate is A-ok in my book.

I dislike dog and pony shows.
    Oh dear AliCat, you are on the wrong forum!

On a more serious note, I appreciate your candor and willingness to take a few thumbs down. I understand what you are saying and while I don't completely agree, I'm so pleased to have a civil discussion! Here's my view. I don't think Booker or anyone here thinks this will make a gigantic difference in Newark, and I'm sure there are many pressing issues that he should be attending to (and can at the same time he does this). At the very least, he will learn something. Perhaps he WILL be inspired to find ways to bring healthier foods to low income neighborhoods. Either way, no harm is done and there is a chance something good could result.

My insights on the produce situation. My family has been a produce wholesaler for nearly 70 years. Produce is a loss leader for every single grocery store. The stores with beautiful produce displays lose more than the stores with shabby ones, but they are able to make up the cost on other products because they know that consumers who insist on the highest quality produce will spend more on other items in order to shop in that produce section.

If the customers are watching every nickel and will go to another store if say the canned goods are 4 cents cheaper, the produce section has to be run tighter and it won't look as fresh. This does not mean there is not high quality produce there, but there will also be produce that is a few days past prime. The ideal, of course, would be to increase volume so the turnover is quicker.

One word of advice, don't be afraid to ask if there is any fresher product in the back (assuming you can find an employee in the produce section ) because they don't put everything out. No one will buy the slightly soft apples if hard crisp ones are sitting next to them, so they will try to judge when people just won't buy stuff before they replace it.

Our "downmarket" grocery stores are as fussy or more than the "upscale" ones, so they get good product. The only people fussier are the Amish market customers, and I can't afford to shop for produce at their stores
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Here's an update on Booker's week with foodstamps:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...p_challen.html

Slim (and burned) pickin's.

Oh, and my own update: No, I can't live on $130/month food budget. That includes no grains or processes food. I'll eat frozen veggies. But meat and fresh vegetables/fruit were by far the most expensive parts of my shopping list.

I usually walked to my nearby Safeway. I went to a restaurant supply place to get cheap goods in bulk once.... but that was a 30 mile drive and my truck refused to tighten her belt just because I was trying to save money.

I suspect that the folks in cities are doing more like what I did with Safeway: Walking, but paying high prices for food that was nearby.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I live in NJ and didn't know much about food stamps until I read about him trying it out. What he did succeed at is bringing attention to the small amount of food that food stamps can buy to people like me. Whether he does it for attention to himself or attention to an issue doesn't matter----people are talking about it.

BTW, anyone else think he's a bit of a hottie?
    Last edited by pony baloney; Dec. 16, 2012 at 09:26 PM.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I am completely in love with Corey Booker. And he is single!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm