The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cory Booker to live on Food stamps

Apparently this has drawn some criticism. I'm curious and want to see him complete it. He seems like a far more down-to-earth guy than many mayors.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...amp-challenge/

how do you feel about this?

1 members found this post helpful.

I feel like he is an attention whore that travels with an entourage, largely out of touch with the people of Newark, NJ.

1 members found this post helpful.

We see it so differently! I see it as a man trying something he knows nothing about.

Why do you think he's an attention whore?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    We see it so differently! I see it as a man trying something he knows nothing about.

Why do you think he's an attention whore?
    I feel like he spends more time trying to gain notoriety on a national stage than actually focusing on what is happening in his own city.

Are you from NJ?

No I am not. Does it matter? This is an honest question AliCat, would it matter if he were from my state? Is he trying to do something good? Or is it something else? I truly don't know, but it seems like trying something like this might be a good thing for a lot of people.

3 members found this post helpful.

I think he's in it for the right reasons.

I think notoriety is often enough inflicted upon public figures without them having to seek it out. He's daring to be a little different, think and act outside the box. He risked his life to save one of his constituents, I think he's a pretty stand-up guy.

4 members found this post helpful.

No I am not. Does it matter? This is an honest question AliCat, would it matter if he were from my state? Is he trying to do something good? Or is it something else? I truly don't know, but it seems like trying something like this might be a good thing for a lot of people.
    As someone who is in NJ, I read all about his escapades regularly.

There was another NJ politician who lived in a homeless shelter for a little while not too long ago, and if IIRC, he did it in Newark.

I went to college with the guy.

And I have stayed in Newark, NJ.

I trust Booker's motives.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

8 members found this post helpful.

because he's active on Twitter, I just don't see him being too calculating. But hey, I've been lucky my whole life. Plenty to eat, worked at jobs that paid well enough I didn't need food stamps so I could be way off base and not know it too.

I am not anti-Booker, but I am not convinced that his motives are always driven by the desire to make things better for the people of his city, vs enhance his own career.

Interesting read:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ry_booker.html

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I am not anti-Booker, but I am not convinced that his motives are always driven by the desire to make things better for the people of his city, vs enhance his own career.
    does it have to be one or the other? Could he be doing both? Again, just throwing this out, as the idea of someone who doesn't have to trying to live on food stamps.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

At least Booker is always DOING something!! Way better than living off the people and doing nothing to help!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

4 members found this post helpful.

You know what? Maybe it IS some kind of self serving publicity stunt, but I don't think so because if he really KNEW what he just got his family into? He would've found another way to get a headline.

You can't even buy the produce for ONE good stir fry meal for the benefits allow in a week. It's insane. How can we expect to lower health costs when we're basically setting up anyone with a lower income for diabetes and heart disease due to the foods they have access to????

I spend a LOT on groceries. I don't shop for clothes, have an expensive barn for my horse, decorate my home. But I FEED people very WELL and it's EXPENSIVE to do it well.

I think this is a great thing. No, I'm not from NJ.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    You know what? Maybe it IS some kind of self serving publicity stunt, but I don't think so because if he really KNEW what he just got his family into? He would've found another way to get a headline.

You can't even buy the produce for ONE good stir fry meal for the benefits allow in a week. It's insane. How can we expect to lower health costs when we're basically setting up anyone with a lower income for diabetes and heart disease due to the foods they have access to????

I spend a LOT on groceries. I don't shop for clothes, have an expensive barn for my horse, decorate my home. But I FEED people very WELL and it's EXPENSIVE to do it well.

I think this is a great thing. No, I'm not from NJ.
    Explain how him living like so many people in his city already do is going to make a difference.

I'm eager to see how it turns out now that we pretty much know that he plans to challenge Christie to be the governor. If he wins, maybe he can focus on the bodies piling up around Trenton.

Because living and understanding breeds compassion.

And with compassion in our leadership, we can modify policy in a way that helps people.

(should I just throw away my R card now? I think I just pulled a total Dem moment there.)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

13 members found this post helpful.

agreed.

AliCat, Booker on food stamps for a week will hurt nothing. And it may help. The more I think about this and the more I try to unravel the crankiness people have with it, the more I think it's a good idea.

6 members found this post helpful.

And with compassion in our leadership, we can modify policy in a way that helps people.

(should I just throw away my R card now? I think I just pulled a total Dem moment there.)
    I could be totally jaded because it feels like everyday I read about someone else getting killed in Newark, cops getting laid off, and how he has a personal entourage for protection.

The city of Newark has so many issues, but it may have improved slightly over the last few years... either that or places like Camden and Trenton have just gotten that much worse that they are overshadowing the bad news coming from Newark.

agreed.

AliCat, Booker on food stamps for a week will hurt nothing. And it may help. The more I think about this and the more I try to unravel the crankiness people have with it, the more I think it's a good idea.
    Abbott district, enhanced food stamp programs, $100 million dollar donations from celebs, what else should we gift the people of Newark?