The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Idiot Neighbors

I can't believe all the rotten neighbor stories I read on here. These are my neighbors:

http://kdvr.com/2012/11/19/dog-pack-...s-bennett-man/

We have an easement that runs along the back of our properties that everyone uses to walk their dogs, jog, ride their horses, atvs, etc. My poor 68 year old retired neighbor was walking his lab on the easement when the idiot neighbors' pack of unneutered, unvaccinated boxer mixes attacked his dog and then turned on him. He is lucky to be alive.

The IN (idiot neighbors) have a history of not containing their dogs. We worked very hard on our own fencing to not only keep my animals contained but to keep the IN animals out.

I hope they prosecute them as fully as possible. That is probably the only way to teach these people to be responsible for their pets.
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

1 members found this post helpful.

People suck, neighbors suck...that is just how I am feeling right now.

That's awful. I doubt the owners will be prosecuted, but I hope the dogs are at least taken away from them and euthanized. There are plenty of dogs out there who need homes and haven't been involved in a pack, or in an attack on a human.

3 members found this post helpful.

I wish I was surprised that the owner of the dogs claimed in the article that she didn't care if she didn't get them all back, but that she wanted to keep one of them.

I'm hoping your neighbor has a speedy recovery! Poor guy.

People are so irresponsible with their animals. Sometimes I swear the dogs with the most difficult of temperments wind up in the hands of the least capable owners out there. The end result is your poor neighbor. I hope something is finally done about the IN and her pack before someone else or their pets gets hurt.

Jingles to him and his hero lab.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Bad neighbors are bad. Bad neighbors who own animals are the freakin' WORST. Some people need to be slapped with a wet fish.

Jingles for your neighbor and his lab.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tartxcherries View Post
    I wish I was surprised that the owner of the dogs claimed in the article that she didn't care if she didn't get them all back, but that she wanted to keep one of them.
    You are so right! These people have been the poster children for the disposable pet syndrome. They started with two boxer/bulldog mixes - a male and female. When the female disappeared I asked where she went. I was told she couldn't get pregnant so they "donated" her to the animal shelter.

I saw the injured neighbor's wife walking Abby the dog the other day. Abby looked like she was recovering well.
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

That is awful.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I doubt the neighbor will get those dogs back...she certainly wouldn't here. If an unvaccinated dog bites a human here, it's curtains for the dog, as the dog must be euthanized to test for rabies, in order to avoid expensive rabies vaccine treatment for the human.

Canaqua, most places where I've lived will allow the unvaccinated dog to be quarantined at owner's expense for observation for rabies rather than euthanizing to do the test--but only certain facilities were able to do the quarantine and it was expensive. So even if the "IN" in this case is given that option, my guess is that she wouldn't pony up to pay for it.

What really sucks about the whole thing (beyond the fact that this poor man was attacked!) is that the DOGS have to suffer as a result of their HUMAN being a bloody idiot. If they were vaccinated, neutered, trained, properly contained, socialized, etc--getting loose probably wouldn't have resulted in such a tragic accident.

I really hope that the IN are charged, prosecuted and have to serve some time or SOMEthing. My guess (and I realize I'm making a leap here) is that they don't have two pennies to rub together so financial reparations won't happen even if ordered.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My parents live in a pretty rural area in MD. One of the neighbors lets the dogs run loose while they're gone during the day at work. I have to be careful when I'm down there with my guys as my one dog doesn't like most other dogs (the younger one is fine). These people have been doing this for a long time now and everyone complains to each other but no one has called AC or the owners of the dog.

A few weeks ago one of the neighbors, an older guy, was out riding his bike and this dog came charging up and knocked him off his bike. He didn't get seriously injured and he said that he didn't think the dog was trying to attack him, but just wanted to play. Anyone no idea how this is going to end up but a group of neighbors are putting a letter together to send to the other neighbor and they are all signing it and dropping it by the owners house.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Bad neighbors who own animals are the freakin' WORST. Some people need to be slapped with a wet fish.
    I volunteer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o