The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anne M View Post
    I just got off the phone with the lady who rescued him from the kill broker. Very nice woman, and her daughter plans to ride him in equestrian team. He will live out his days on 30 acres of bluegrass in Kentucky.
    Anne just for clarity. I thought that the people who "rescued" him from the kill broker would be the AC4H people. That then sold the horse to the woman you spoke to. Or did the AC4H lady buy him?

1 members found this post helpful.

I sent this link to the new owner, I am sure she would love to hear stories about his past. Good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    Anne just for clarity. I thought that the people who "rescued" him from the kill broker would be the AC4H people. That then sold the horse to the woman you spoke to. Or did the AC4H lady buy him?
    AC4H has a listing service (like CANTER, FLF, etc) where they list horses for the Broker, and then they have a separate rescue operation. This horse was purchased through the broker. AC4H just gets the horses visability/handles the paperwork.

oh, ok I got it. Like buying a horse off the track through Canter.

Yes, but because the horses are online their prices are usually twice what they'd be if you bought them directly from the auction owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Cook View Post
    I hope this guy works out. But I do tend to think they end up at auction for a reason. I know a horse with almost an identical story - imported from England, went Intermediate, sold through Courtney Cooper at one point, also...ended up being donated to a school's riding program because of a wicked buck. The school got tired of him bucking off their students and was getting ready to send him to auction when some people I know picked him up. The wicked buck continues...I've seen the horse a handful of times, and maybe it is just the bad luck of my presence, but on those few occasions, the rides where the kid has coming flying off him outnumber the rides where she remained on for the entire ride. :-( I'd hate to be stuck with one like that in my barn...not sure what I'd do, to be honest. But he's beautiful and big and kind mannered on the ground and can be ridden without the buck showing up and you'd be left amazed to think he was headed for auction...until the buck showed up.
    I know this might spark a lot of controversy, but I would put a horse down before sending him on due to dangerous behavior. Several years ago, I put a horse down because he was dangerous to ride and was either going to seriously hurt someone, or end up on a truck to slaughter. I spent a lot of money with a cowboy (who ended up seriously hurt and called me to come pick up the horse), and on diagnoses, all on a $900 horse. I could have kept him as a lawn ornament but I know I will not always live where I live, with ample pasture, etc., and sooner or later, he would have to go. And, I could easily have found a companion home for him, but horses live a long time and you can never be assured that the new owners will keep the horse forever, or not try one day to hop on his back. This was a painful decision, but a humane one and I don't ever regret it.

And if I had a horse that was chronically in pain, I'd do the same. It would not be without sadness and mourning, but it would, in the end, be in the best interest of the horse.

19 members found this post helpful.

I couldn't agree more. If they are not rideable, do the right thing and euthanize so you know for sure they never make their way to the kill pens, the double decker transports, and the slaughter house.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    I know this might spark a lot of controversy, but I would put a horse down before sending him on due to dangerous behavior. ...
    I think this is becoming much more common. I've been on the COTH forums since 2007 or 2008, and the attitude has really changed about when to put a horse down. Perhaps we're treating them more like pets. Perhaps people are more concerned about liability if they sell a horse that is known to be dangerous. Perhaps it's the economy (there are a lot of well-behaved, talented horses out there, and the price has dropped, so why take on a rogue?)

Also, peoples' reactions are changing. Not as many are critical of those who decide to put a horse down when things go bad.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Maybe, through the internet, people are more aware of the bad fates that can happen and are realizing that selling a horse to a "perfect home" isn't always the case. The auction house looms large in the face of a horse who might make a mistake. I, for one, would MUCH rather put a horse to sleep than run the risk of his ending up in the hands of a nasty trainer, a kill buyer or worse. Obviously I'm not going to run around killing my horses but I do think a bag of carrots and a stick in the neck is a MUCH better ending than some of the other possibilities. ;-(
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Maybe, through the internet, people are more aware of the bad fates that can happen and are realizing that selling a horse to a "perfect home" isn't always the case. The auction house looms large in the face of a horse who might make a mistake. I, for one, would MUCH rather put a horse to sleep than run the risk of his ending up in the hands of a nasty trainer, a kill buyer or worse. Obviously I'm not going to run around killing my horses but I do think a bag of carrots and a stick in the neck is a MUCH better ending than some of the other possibilities. ;-(
    Great post on a sad topic.

Frankly, I'm happy that the internet sheds light on a subject that was easily swept under the rug. It's time to end the fantasy that there are all these great homes out there for unwanted horses. It has been too easy to look the other way, for far too long and pretend. It's a lot harder to do that with the truth staring you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Yes, but because the horses are online their prices are usually twice what they'd be if you bought them directly from the auction owner.
    The difference being the horses get more exposure when they are listed online. Agree or disagree with the group, at least the horses have a better chance to go to a home vs. slaughter, and the horses all get assessed to some degree.

I would be curious to know if the prices are negotiable.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    The difference being the horses get more exposure when they are listed online. Agree or disagree with the group, at least the horses have a better chance to go to a home vs. slaughter, and the horses all get assessed to some degree.

I would be curious to know if the prices are negotiable.
    To my knowledge they are not. It might be if you were talking direct to the broker/dealer, but you are not allowed to contact them directly and have to go through AC4H. It's rough, because there usually is quite a discrepancy between what the dealer got the horse for and how much they're getting, but there's no real room for negotiation as far as I know.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    To my knowledge they are not. It might be if you were talking direct to the broker/dealer, but you are not allowed to contact them directly and have to go through AC4H. It's rough, because there usually is quite a discrepancy between what the dealer got the horse for and how much they're getting, but there's no real room for negotiation as far as I know.
    Not picking on AC4H specifically here because I don't know that much about them, but in general, on sites where people are asked to "chip in" to save a horse, there have been cases where the broker ends up collecting far more than the stated price of the horse.

This makes for interesting reading: http://www.insidebainbridge.com/2012...for-slaughter/
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

betonbill:

Was it this horse?

http://clippersstory.blogspot.com/

seems to be doing well.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    AC4H has a listing service (like CANTER, FLF, etc) where they list horses for the Broker, and then they have a separate rescue operation. This horse was purchased through the broker. AC4H just gets the horses visability/handles the paperwork.
    I don't think this is accurate in this instance. I believe the "kill broker" and the "listing service" are actually the same business. It's all about dead presidents.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I'm still interested to know how a horse in enough work to be nicely clipped and cared for ended up dumped with AC4H/ kill broker.

Quote Originally Posted by TotB View Post
    I'm still interested to know how a horse in enough work to be nicely clipped and cared for ended up dumped with AC4H/ kill broker.
    I wonder the same thing.... and I can't help but feel anger toward whoever dumped him. I'd bet he has some serious soundness issue and whoever it was, just made a really stupid and cruel decision. Lucky horse that he was scooped up and not sent on a truck to Mexico.

But on a larger scope, no horse, no matter how poor the quality, deserves to be sent to a kill broker. It doesn't matter whether he was a gold medal winner or a plow horse. The heart and soul are the same. It's just that in the case, the owner should have known better and had resources to make a more humane decision.

grrrrr........

That also could have been an old picture the people who were selling/sending the horse to the auction provided. May not be his current state of appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    That also could have been an old picture the people who were selling/sending the horse to the auction provided. May not be his current state of appearance.
    His video on the auction lot had him with the same clip and sleek appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by TotB View Post
    I can think of several thing that can cause this to happen....divorce. non-horsey parents. creditor (fail to pay board etc).
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **