The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've read the ad as saying that he has been bought and paid for, and that he has already been picked up and gone home with Cara, who paid for him.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that if you see a horse you like and want to gamble on it, you can send the money and pick it up on whatever Monday they are dropping horses off.

Unless there's something radically wrong with him, seems like a not unreasonable price for a horse with his training.

1 members found this post helpful.

Birch Hill Clover used to be ridden by Bonnie Mosser. I think he was sold on as a young rider horse because he did not take to Advanced. His name was changed to some reggae thing, Stir it up or something like that.

Very sad to think that even quality horses can't be guaranteed good retirement homes.

7 members found this post helpful.

Well, maybe he has one now.

4 members found this post helpful.

Have the people who are posting critiques of the AC4H business model even read the posts? I'm not sure any of that is relevant to the OP.

This was apparently a very nice horse at some point, recently sold through a low-end auction for roughly meat price, despite having the appearance of being in work (good weight/ working clip). That seems worth noting to me. Hopefully someone can confirm he's had a soft landing.

Quote Originally Posted by CiegoStar View Post
    It's a little confusing, but I'm pretty sure that site automatically populates the horse's age based on the year of birth. So the horse is 16 now, but that would have read (whatever his age was) at the time he was sold. If you look at the girl's fb (I know, I'm a stalker) she had him around 2009 at the latest but can't tell beyond that.
    I thought about that later on and wondered if the site automatically updates the horses age based on year it was born. Meaning that the add could have been 4 yrs old and he sold through Courtney as a 12yo. But the counter on the site updates the age automatically. I'm a bit of a luddite at times.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroughGuru View Post
    Birch Hill Clover used to be ridden by Bonnie Mosser. I think he was sold on as a young rider horse because he did not take to Advanced. His name was changed to some reggae thing, Stir it up or something like that.

Very sad to think that even quality horses can't be guaranteed good retirement homes.
    yup Stir it up was mentioned in the CSquare add so that name change would have happened previous to being purchased through her.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Well, maybe he has one now.
    Absolutely. He could have gone to a stellar home.

This is a bit off topic, but earlier this summer there was a dressage horse with a good past show record with a dealer in Kentucky, I believe. Some one in Ohio with the help of his previous owner bought him. I believe his feet were not in wonderful shape at the time.

I've been wondering lately how he's been doing, and if he straightened out with the foot problem.

So, I continue to believe in happy endings--sometimes.

Another set of people that were his connections; although I can't find any information about the Southern Pines HT that is mentioned?

http://www.csquarefarm.com/stir-it-u...-gelding-1996/

Ah ha! So CC sold him twice (at least), once to the McGregor's sometime around 2008 or before, and once to Charlotte Collis, under a different name, prior to that (Collis was competing him in 2006). So Collis is off the hook for him landing at New Holland.

Regardless, I hope he landed in a good spot.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I just got off the phone with the lady who rescued him from the kill broker. Very nice woman, and her daughter plans to ride him in equestrian team. He will live out his days on 30 acres of bluegrass in Kentucky.

13 members found this post helpful.

How did he get there in the first place? Very sad

I don't know how he got there but I am sure he didn't deserve it. Luckily he is safe now

2 members found this post helpful.

Glad to hear he has found a soft landing. I'm currently fostering an OTTB who ended up at New Holland. It's heartbreaking when these horses fall through the cracks after campaigning for many years for their owners. This one is a classy boy -- his trainer was very upset when she found out he had ended up in the kill pen. Thank goodness for the rescues.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

While I think it is very sad that a nice horse like this one (and all horses) end up in this situation, I don't think it's the responsiblity of every single owner to keep track of them. People are allowed to sell horses and after you sell a horse it's out of your hands unless you feel personally obligated to fetch the horse back. Many sellers try to ensure that their horse is in a good matched home. Otherwise people would never breed or sell horses and we'd quickly run out!

Please, we're not in danger of running out of horses anytime soon, unfortunately.

No one said or implied it was the responsibility of "every single owner" to keep track of a horse.

But, if I bred a horse or owned one that who took good care of my kid eventing the upper levels, I would care if he ended up in the kill pen. (And for the record, I personally wouldn't think much of someone who didn't care.)

3 members found this post helpful.

This story is my worst nightmare. I always try to sell to adult amateurs because I feel assured that the horse will have a forever home. But it doesn't always work out that way, and I've tracked every horse I've sold, with the exception of one, who ended up somewhere that was not bad, but it wasn't what I would have chosen for him.

So, this is why I HATE to sell horses. But I could not do nearly the events that I do if I didn't have the extra $$ that comes in from training and selling.

(For the record, I never sell horses FOR anyone else, so I maintain amateur status.)
    Last edited by Winding Down; Nov. 27, 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: correction

I agree about the nightmare status. It is extremely hard to find homes for difficult horses, so when the apparently easy ones fall through the cracks it really hits home for all of us who care.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I hope this guy works out. But I do tend to think they end up at auction for a reason. I know a horse with almost an identical story - imported from England, went Intermediate, sold through Courtney Cooper at one point, also...ended up being donated to a school's riding program because of a wicked buck. The school got tired of him bucking off their students and was getting ready to send him to auction when some people I know picked him up. The wicked buck continues...I've seen the horse a handful of times, and maybe it is just the bad luck of my presence, but on those few occasions, the rides where the kid has coming flying off him outnumber the rides where she remained on for the entire ride. :-( I'd hate to be stuck with one like that in my barn...not sure what I'd do, to be honest. But he's beautiful and big and kind mannered on the ground and can be ridden without the buck showing up and you'd be left amazed to think he was headed for auction...until the buck showed up.

1 members found this post helpful.

I actually tried this horse when he was at Courtney Cooper's barn to be sold back in '04 I think. He was a super nice horse with great movement and one heck of a jump. Really well trained on the flat!! He also had a wonderfully sweet personality. The story I got was that he had lost some confidence on cross country and Courtney was really hoping he'd go to someone who would take him back to Novice and Training for a few years before trying him again at the upper levels. I really liked him, but they were asking just a bit too much for me to take a gamble. Funny story though, after I had ridden him in the ring, Courtney suggested I take him out and pop over a few cross country jumps. She gave me a little course to do which involved cantering along a creek that runs through her property, jumping a coop, and then crossing the creek. She warned me that at the far end of the property, where I would cross the creek, the neighbor had chickens that roamed around. She said all the horses hated the chickens for some reason. In retrospect I should have respected her warning a bit more because one second I was cantering along and the next I was on the ground. That sucker had eyed the chickens and decided to slam on the brakes, turn tail, and head back to the safety of the chicken free barn. It was a very athletic move on his part!! Anyways, he was a lovely horse and I'm glad to hear that he has found what sounds like a nice home.

3 members found this post helpful.