The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Panty Chaffing...WTH?

OK, the Panty Wadding Thread (which has been as much fun as I've had sober in a long time) got me to thinking...(sad, I know...but....)

What's up with all these under garments for "chaffing" when you ride? I mean, I can see if you were endurance riding all day long, but I spent a number of years on the track galloping, ponying and then as a polo groom where I often had my actual behind in the saddle for up to 5-6 hrs a day, and I never had chaff #1.

And I know for a fact that real, live cowboys don't wear these kind of drawers (I would prefer not to disclose exactly how I know this, but trust me...when I was younger I took a extended survey ) and they spend all day riding in rough country.

So what's going on here? I assume if you are chaffing you just aren't sitting in the saddle correctly?

Stupid subject, I know, but it's snowing like a monster out there today and I'm bored....

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think chaffing automatically means you're riding wrong. Some people are very thin skinned. Sometimes it's a matter of what your under garment preferences are. Sometimes IMPROVING your seat can cause chaffing (I know when my sitting trot improved, I had to retire certain types of skivvies from riding!). Sometimes it's a saddle that doesn't fit well. It really just depends.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I don't think chaffing automatically means you're riding wrong. Some people are very thin skinned. Sometimes it's a matter of what your under garment preferences are. Sometimes IMPROVING your seat can cause chaffing (I know when my sitting trot improved, I had to retire certain types of skivvies from riding!). Sometimes it's a saddle that doesn't fit well. It really just depends.
    I used to get a recurring sore exactly under the seam of my panties on one side. Sort of like a zit but if I put Betadine on it it would eventually go away, but it kept reoccurring, especially in the summer months (I do a lot of trail riding and would be in the saddle a lot). Eventually it started turning up in the colder months too. Finally I asked my doc about it, she put me on oral antibiotics for, like, a week, and it went away and has never returned. Sometimes it's a bacterial infection. (People, I don't wash my riding pants every time I use 'em!)

It's not something we ladies discuss too often, but going commando was kind of a drag and DID mean I had to wash my pants more often. Now I wear panties that have a flatter seam, just in case.

TMI, right?

4 members found this post helpful.

I would occasionally get something like a heat rash under my left seatbone, not just from riding, but from work as well (I have to sit for very long stretches in marginally comfortable chairs with equipment set up so I have to sit more on my left...makes my dressage lessons so much fun). Tried several different cuts of "its better because its breathable!" cotton underwear, no difference. Tried a prescription ointment, no difference.

What's fixed it? Buying NON-cotton, athletic wear type underwear (I love Patagonia's hipsters, but some of the REI store brand is nice, too, and slightly less pricey). Those also tend to have flatter to non-existent seams, and stay in place better than "regular" underwear, too. I now refuse to wear anything else, except for on laundry day!

Boxers.... Hehe

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Inverness thread #eleventy bajillion
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

5 members found this post helpful.

Wide twists ->

I hate the word panty LOL

Again, I'm not asking for panty suggestions, as I've never had this problem...just curious as to WHY it happens, since I spent many hours on a horse and never had it happen. Maybe because I wasn't riding dressage and trying to maintain a deep seat?

All those years my (female) fellow polo grooms, pony-girls & exercise gals never mentioned it either.

Never even heard of it till COTH....
    Maybe this younger generation has more tender skin....

I would have counted myself among the "never had it happen" group until a few days ago. I was working on really trying to get a nice extended canter, opening up my hips, and sitting deep into the saddle.

I felt a little irritated when I was finished, came home, got in the shower, and made use of some colorful language when the soapy water hit the chaffed skin. All I can imagine is that the elastic leg band on my undies did not move with me. It may have been a one off but I can tell you it hurts like a sonofa*itch. I made it worse yesterday and today wasn't any better. I think tomorrow I'll work on my two-point.

And for the record I'm 54. Hardly the younger generation.

I did get some nice canter work though. My horse was very much in front of my leg and that has been a struggle for us.

Stirrup bar placement & bulky-ness of buckles can be problematic. I find that many old-school saddles, jumping & dressage, even when bare-bones/hard/flat are narrower & far less likely to irritate than the new very padded variety / wider twisted / knee thigh block sofas. Maybe with all that extra 'stuff' a good fit for the rider is required or it literally 'rubs you the wrong way'

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Again, I'm not asking for panty suggestions, as I've never had this problem...just curious as to WHY it happens, since I spent many hours on a horse and never had it happen. Maybe because I wasn't riding dressage and trying to maintain a deep seat?

All those years my (female) fellow polo grooms, pony-girls & exercise gals never mentioned it either.

That may be it....I never had any issues at all when I was a bit younger (hs/college) and doing hunters. I could, and did, wear whatever. I started noticing an issue when I a) started doing more eventing/dressage type flatwork and really sitting down into the saddle, and b) also sitting all shift in a work environment.

The ONLY time I had that problem was on one particular horse.

Oy.

There was a horse at an old barn that I was in charge of getting ready for the lesson program.

Oy oy oy.

I swear it was chunks of flesh, not just blood. I had to bite my toothbrush handle when I got into the shower to keep from screaming. Never had it happen since, and in fact I rode other horses while riding her and nothing. Something about that horse. I used the same saddle, everything.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I tried wearing lace panties for a while under my riding pants because they don't leave any seams.... Not a good idea. I still get chaffing occasionally but sometimes I think certain breeches may add to the issue. I agree that the athletic underwear do help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post

Perhaps you are more skilled than the rest of us at separating the wheat from the chaff.

Has anyone tried warming her arse up in a chafing dish before hitting the trails?
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Stirrup bar placement & bulky-ness of buckles can be problematic. I find that many old-school saddles, jumping & dressage, even when bare-bones/hard/flat are narrower & far less likely to irritate than the new very padded variety / wider twisted / knee thigh block sofas. Maybe with all that extra 'stuff' a good fit for the rider is required or it literally 'rubs you the wrong way'
    Maybe that's it. Obviously, all the disciplines I was involved in did not use "deep" saddles and I was in 2 pt. much of the time, or posting. When I first started ponying on the track I used a nice old Circle Y roping saddle, but soon switched to a plain old "all purpose" English.

And in polo much of the conditioning was done at a trot, so again, wasn't sitting deep.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fulrider View Post
    Perhaps you are more skilled than the rest of us at separating the wheat from the chaff.

Has anyone tried warming her arse up in a chafing dish before hitting the trails?
    I know....I realized after posting that I probably did not spell "chafe" correctly....but I didn't feel like going back and changing it. And look -- 14 posts of chaff, chaff, chaff.

But the chafing dish idea actually sounds nice right now...the first big snow of the season and it's below freezing out there. Gawd, I hate winter...

I find it occurs when the knicker elastic/saddle seam/seatbones coincide. Full frontal chafing usually happens when the seat size is too small, or the saddle is unbalanced resulting in the pommel being too high. I also find that it can happen in the same saddle on a different horse. I use an adjustable saddle that has a narrower twist than really suits my anatomy. It is hugely comfortable on my rotund PRE but hell on my butt on the TB cross. On the TB my seat bones seem like they hang over the edge of the tree.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by hoofbeats View Post
    I tried wearing lace panties for a while under my riding pants because they don't leave any seams.... Not a good idea. I still get chaffing occasionally but sometimes I think certain breeches may add to the issue. I agree that the athletic underwear do help.
    OMG. The worst. The WORST. I have some, uh, going out undies. Pretty, girly, lace things that I've made the mistake of wearing a time or two. UGH. Anything with any kind of edge is very bad, bad, bad for my skin. And, of course, my favorite undies for riding are no longer made.

I don't get chafed regularly but every once in a while (like once every two or three years) I'll get a rub, and then it takes a while for it to heal up. Bought some new breeches at AECs and wore before washing - They ripped the whole area to shreds. Have been fine since they've been washed, but I had to ride in the seamless spanx for about a week while I healed up.
    The rebel in the grey shirt