The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up Thumbs up for Durasole!

First I got myself an OTTB that needed some help with the feet. (Not to mention some serious groceries)

Then.... I messed up my back, and the genius farrier decided 1) I had damaged discs....(does he have xray vision? and when did he go to med school?) 2) to pull ALL the horse's shoes since "you ain't gonna be riding for 6 weeks anyway!"

WTF?

So now, I have a handful of horses with bare feet I can experiment on (mu hah hah haha!!)

Got myself some hoof boots and some hoof packing (Forshners and Magic Cushion) and some casting tape and some Keratex and some Durasole, and some Hoofmaker. Got myself a little bare foot hoof study group!! (As 'controls' I have one horse who is 11 and has never worn shoes. And a retired OTTB who went barefoot a few years ago.)

I've used Keratex before but Durasole really is spiffy stuff! My OTTB makes nice quality horn, but soles are thin. Durasole has been great on him.

One big WB has a hoof that likes to crumble. He has been getting Keratex, BUT, I think I'm going to switch to Durasole at some point. I don't think the Keratex is doing much for him.

Now back when I was a slender, gorgeous teenager.... I slathered Hoofmaker on horses like it was holy oil. My addled middle aged brain swears that it made the horse's feet grow faster. Guess I will have to wait a while on that one. Also, I remember it as being somewhat pinkish in color, and now it is not. Does anyone here remember what Hoofmaker looked like in, oh, 1987 or so?

So for anyone looking for some 'hoof solutions,' I'll add my glowing review for Durasole. Great stuff!

(PS, the farrier was wrong. 2-3 weeks of agony and 1 week of lesser agony and I was back riding. Gently, at first. What would a farrier know about human back problems anyway!

Me too! I discovered dura sole in aug and love it! My only warning is not to get it in your eyes stings like he$$. Great stuff

oh yeah, second the eye thing. Holy cow. I got a tiny drop on the outside of my lid and between the stinging and the flushing, looked like I was crying like a baby for 5 minutes!

Yikes, guys--remember that durasole is formaldehyde based. You *really* do not want to get it on you, and you especially do not want to get it in your EYES. If something about how you're applying it is causing it to fling up into your face WEAR PROTECTIVE GLASSES when using it.

In...hell...close to 15 years of using Durasole, I have never managed to get it anywhere near my eyes. Worst I've ever done is a small drop on a hand or wrist. I do always wear gloves (just my regular leather/nylon barn gloves) when applying.

Hmm... yes.. the gloves. Well, I am a messy sort. And I've gotten more than a little of the stuff on my hands. I did use gloves for the casting tape, so I guess that means I follow directions some times.

I've been wanting to try Durasole where is the best place to buy?

I told smartpak to get it, but they don't have it. I order it from Valley Vet.
    friend of bar.ka

1 members found this post helpful.

My 'local' tack store is pretty fantastic. I get it at Horseman's Outlet.

Ohh and Durasole is wayyyyy cheaper than Keratex. Keratex is $40 for 8.45 oz (250 ml.) Durasole is $12-$13 for 4 oz ($24-$26 for 8 oz)

"(Alvin Farrier Supply) Durasole creates a tough, living pad between your horse's sensitive sole and the world's hostile environment. Durasole is an antibacterial, antifungal fixing agent formulated to thicken and toughen the exfoliating sole and frog. Durasole is effective in the control of thrush and white line disease when aerobic conditions are established and maintained at the infection site. Can be used for extended periods of time on chronically thin-soled horses without fear of drying out the foot."

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    . . . Durasole really is spiffy stuff! . . .
    Anything that's PURPLE has got to be spiffy.

If you get it in your eyes, flush with saline eye wash. DO NOT USE eye drops such as Visine - Ophthalmic tetrahydrozoline - actually makes it worse.

You can buy online direct from the distributor http://durasole.com.

Valley vet has a discount on two or more bottles, but the sweet spot is 5 bottles for $59.75 - shipping and handling is free.
    Last edited by Tom Bloomer; Nov. 28, 2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: bad html formatting

Tom- I really like durasole too

I finally bought a TB with sterotypical "TB feet" (not sure how in the last 25 yrs of owning TBs I managed to avoid that lol) and daily application of durasole over the last 6 months has made a huge difference. His frog is hard, his sole is hard and he hasn't gotten (knock on wood) a stone bruise in many months.

Good product!

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I told smartpak to get it, but they don't have it. I order it from Valley Vet.
    I have sent 2 product request forms into SmartPak to start carrying it. NOTHING YET! Let's all send another one!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I looked on the website. There is an intensive application process where you dry the hoof with a hair dryer, and re apply durasole 6 times/day!! But it did no look like you could order it directly from the company?

Tom Bloomer do you actually order it from them?