The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Charities making fund raising calls

Guess my curse is that I actually have donated to a few places over the years. But then they smell blood and no matter what you tell them, they ignore it and phone at every possible opportunity to squeeze more out.

Many years back I donated to a university where a memorial had been established for the grandmother of my then-wife. Grandma was a wonderful woman and I was happy to do it.

Years later, this university somehow found my phone number or mailing address and solicited me again. I think it was a fifteenth year anniversary of Grandma's death so I contributed more to the fund established in her name, explaining it was one-time only.

The following year they phoned again. I didn't contribute and asked that they remove me from the list because there were three other colleges and universities that I actually personally had been involved with ahead of them in line. They said they would do so.

The next year they phoned again, once again I didn't donate and repeated my request. I was told they would remove me from their list.

They repeated it yet again this year with 6-8 calls that I noticed on Caller ID and didn't pick up. They are blowing off my clear statement that I no longer will donate.

I have come to hate endless charity calls -- the legitimate ones, not just the phoney ones -- as much as dinner-hour or daytime commercial phone solicitations.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

1 members found this post helpful.

often the caller is working from a list generated by the organization but the caller is a for-profit company that extracts a percentage of the donation

So they use the boiler room collection company methods

My alumni association, who I have never joined, just sent me a renewal request ... just deposited that in the recycle can.... they extracted enough from me when I was there

2 members found this post helpful.

Send them a change of address notification. My uncle found someone in South Africa who shared his name. It fixed the Alumni Association problem, at least on his end.

My grade school was hitting me up for $$$. I put their newsletter in an envelope with a note saying that unless the place burned to the ground, I didn't ever want to hear from them again. I haven't.

I got a call from one sheriff's fundraiser at 7:30 or 8:00 on a Saturday morning. That was a good conversation.

My mom always had the policy of making a donation if someone actually came to the door, or was otherwise putting effort in (cheery bell ringer in the mall for example), but never over the phone.

I feel the same way.

Caller ID is your friend. I get bombarded nightly and if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.

I have repeatedly told them to stop. I used to donate until they became pushy and ugly. Now I refuse to donate to ANY organization over the phone!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

The only one i donate to over the phone is Operation Smile. However my late MIL also donated to them so i often get twice the calls despite repeatedly informing them that she has been dead for almost 20 years.

Actually I donate over the internet after a call usually when they have a fundraising match going on.

I grew up a block and a half from the Magee family and William P Magee SR delivered me
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The do-not-call law needs to be strengthened to include charitables -- and political organizations! But that's not going to happen.

I just lay the phone down and let them talk to an empty room for a few minutes. It wastes their time and cuts into their commission.

I'll also place the handset in front of the loudspeaker of my ham radio set. Since I only operate Morse code, they probably think I'm either a spy or with the CIA.
    Last edited by Frank B; Nov. 27, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Charities phone solicitation

I usually just hang up BUT if I actually talk to the person soliciting, I just tell them that since they have invaded my privacy I will make certain that I will never donate to them.

I had one hell of a time getting Red Cross to stop calling every week after I gave blood.

The best was when a young girl called and I ranted and cussed at her. Had to really laugh when she said she didn't have to take that kind of abuse. I told her she was the one who called me and I would have no problems if she hung up! She did. Probably a first. Wish I could all of them to hang up that easily.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

2 members found this post helpful.

The best part about getting rid of our land phone line was an end to those calls. They would ask for my DH often and even if he was sitting there I'd just tell them no. Sometimes I'd hang up on them or tell them he'd moved out and lived with his mistress now, when I felt creative. Mostly I just say NO when I can get a word in and hang up. Or just leave the phone and come back 5 min later to hang up. No, we didn't have caller ID.

I have no problem with calls from charities. Some of the calls I've gotten are from Doctors Without Borders, New Bolton Center, and my alma maters, so why would I stop donating to those great causes just to make a point In college, I was one of the student volunteers who called alumni requesting donations, so I get it. The callers have never been pushy with me.