The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Red, Irritated dog eyeball

My dog's left eyeball is not looking very good. It has a lot of dried discharge around it and his eye is red. I think it looks slightly swollen but I can't tell for sure. It didn't look like this before I left for work this morning. He is acting normal and not trying to scratch or rub his eye.

I've called the vet and they can't get me in until tomorrow. They said if I felt it was necessary, I could go to one of the emergency clinics in town.

Is it necessary? Is this something that should be looked at right away? I know that you don't wait with swollen horse eyeballs - is it the same for dogs? Any thoughts would be helpful.

I never wait with eyes but E vet bills are usually steep. You have to weigh the pros and cons of early intervention. Most likely it is something relatively benign but without having a vet look at it you won't know for sure. Ultimately it's your pocketbook.

yes, you need to go to the e-vet. What you describe could be glaucoma and immediate treatment is vital to maintaining vision

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the replies. We went to the e-vet last night - I'm uncomfortable with eyeball injuries as you can't clean, cold hose and wrap them! They did some tests and basically - some bacteria got into his eye. When they did the stain, he had a tiny, less than a millimeter, scratch. They thought it was most likely old but couldn't confirm it so no steroids. They gave me a cream to put in his eye 3x a day - very similar to what the vet might give you for horse eyeball injuries.

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad you took him to the ER and that it turned out to be something treatable. You just never know though and sometimes it's just now worth waiting and taking chances, especially with the eyes.

Hope he's feeling better and the eye heals up just fine.