The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default iPad Apps for Contractors

I work for my family company, and currently my job is updating all the technology. I personally don't really want to use iPads, but my Dad/owner of the company is hell-bent on integrating them into the company. Neither of us has used an iPad before, but a few of his employees do on the job and they have convinced them to give it a try.

My main issue is that my Dad uses Windows, all of his estimates are typed up on Word, his drawings are hand drawn, and he works exclusively from non-Apple programs. How hard will it be to make the adjustment?

He would like me to do some research on Apps that will help with communication between employees, some sort of job inventory program, showing new clients virtual shots of their remodeled space, etc. The main purpose is for more efficient communication between employees.

Advice? Thanks!!

Other info: Home Remodeling Company, doing $750,000-$1,000,000 in sales yearly, 5-6 Employees

I cannot help you at all, but we recently had a roof repair done, and the contractor used an iPad. He showed me one of his programs, which was fantastic. He could map out gutters on a house to see EXACTLY what they would look like on the specific house! Does your company belong to any professional associations, or subscribe to any specific industry publications? I would start there for advice.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry