The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Default Reconsignment? Whaa??

So I have some stuff at the local consignment shop. Some has been sold, other stuff not. I called today to check the balance on my account, and talked to a young woman working at the store. When I inquired about how much stuff was still left to sell, the woman on the phone informed me that my balance was ___, and the owner was "just talking about my account today", and was going to be re-consigning my leftover stuff.

I asked for clarification on what this entailed re: percentage received etc., but the girl knew nothing and asked that I called back to speak to the owner for more details. I have not reached her yet, but does anyone have experience with a consignment shop "re-consigning" your goods?

Does this simply mean that the unsold items are going to be put back on the sales floor? Is the price going to be changed? Is the consignment percentage going to be different? This statement just sort of caught me off guard with no explanation to go with it. I would certainly like some input if the prices my items are listed for are going to be slashed...if that is the case, I'd rather just take the stuff back and sell it myself.

Did you sign a consignment agreement? If so, read it. I have a consignment shop, I have not heard of "re-consigning" but, the owner may have a plausible definition of the term. Talk to her and remember the articles (stuff) are your property. You could take back your property, right?
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

A lot of places have a 90 day minimum kind of thing, maybe its been long enough that they are going to go through your stuff and decide what to keep? I wouldn't think it would change the price unless they asked you to drop it or the percentage. But you never know! My local shop was apparently incapable of coming up with the simple equation to pay me my money and could only seem to be able to put it on my account for the store. Now I'm not a math person but I could figure that one out! Truth is I don't think they had the money to pay me. It was a couple hundred they owed me. Store is now ran by appt out of the owners barn.

Read your contract. There's usually a set time period that they'll try to sell the stuff, then they'll either donate someplace or maybe reconsign elsewhere.