The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scam or Infomercial Invitation?

I'm usually good at detecting scams, but I got a postcard in the mail today that has me taking a second look. At first glance, it looked like a typical scam. It claimed that "Our records show that we are holding a valuable package in your name: FREE 7 inch Touchpad Tablet Computer with Android Software (Approximate Retail Value $179).

Just as I was getting ready to toss it, however, I noticed that it was mailed from a local address, a D.B. Distribution Center in Rochester. I thought that was curious, so I took a second look. In the fine print, I saw this "Sponsor: DirectBuy of Rochester. Must be at least 30 or older with income over a certain dollar amount. Must attend 90 minute informative presentation of our services. Spouse/fiance (if any) must attend."

So, now this sounds like what they use to sell you vacation time shares. You go, you get goodies, but you have to listen to their sales pitch. I've heard of DirectBuy, and seen their advertisements on TV. I certainly wouldn't mind having a tablet computer, it's been on my "I want but don't need" list for a while now. Plus, if I answer quickly, I also get a $100 Dining gift card, and those are certainly useful. I could certainly sit through a 90 minute sales pitch.

Question is, am I reading and thinking about this correctly? Is it worth going for the freebees, or is it something I should run very far away from?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I'd call them and ask if it's legit.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Did you google "Direct Buy"? Lots of info out there.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Hmmmm, most of the complaints in this area seem to be due to their advertising. They have an A- rating with the BBB, but, again, the negative seems to be their advertising. I don't know. I'm confident I could withstand the sales pitch, and I certainly wouldn't sign anything, but I don't want to get sucked into a situation where they are then constantly hammering at me to join either.

1 members found this post helpful.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

OHHHHHKay, that does it. I'm tossing that postcard. Thanks so much, Joanne! It really is true that things that look like they're too good to be true, usually are.