The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Sorta spin off- most hated book?

I rarely hate a book but I bought Wall of Days recently and hated it. I got to the scene where the MC is dragging an old woman who has had a stroke off to hang her and just couldn't take it any more. Deleted it from my Kindle and got a refund.

Has anyone else read it? Which books do you hate?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Atlas Shrugged. Like running a marathon on a broken leg.

And I read it probably fifteen years ago--before it became so politically, uh, "relevant."
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

6 members found this post helpful.

Green Hills of Africa.

Twenty pages in the gross egotistc blathering of the narrator had not abated and a wounded hyena was eating its own entrails.

And I was done!

1 members found this post helpful.

Bridges of Madison County- blech

5 members found this post helpful.

BEOWULF.

F&^# THAT BOOK.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I tried reading Shades of Grey, but the poor writing and editing insulted me so much I stopped reading by chapter 7 or so. I am not even sure if anyone proofread the thing, so I resented they got my money.

13 members found this post helpful.

Beowulf, Bridges of madison County, and a few others. But my real hate was a Linda LaPlante series about a woman detective. Great characters, the first two really made you like the heroine, and then in book three something awful happened, and it was terrible. One of my friends called me up, and she was upset about the plot twist also.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

"Alice in Wonderland" The movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid and I have not, in spite of quite a few attempts, ever been able to get more than a few pages into the book. Totally useless and horrific story sold as something for children that is more for adults and strange ones at that.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

50 Shades was such an insipid piece of garbage! Just. Blech. And the fact that it was written by a middle age woman........terrible, awful.........yeah, I hated it!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

8 members found this post helpful.

Great Expectations. Like scooping out my brain with a melon baller bit by bit.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

The Shack and Heart of Darkness are both up there on my hate list.

The Shack just irritated me and I thought the dialogue was awful.

Heart of Darkness... no matter how many times I try, I cannot pay attention through this book. I try to read it because it's "important" and a work of literature or whatever, but my experience is usually "boring boring boring, yes, I get it, it's DARK and everything is BROODING DARKNESS boring boring nothing happening, something about screws and generators and DARKNESS LOOMING and wait a second, guns and cannibals? When did something start happening? <flips back 5-6 pages and tries again> boring boring wait how did I get ahead 20 pages without knowing anything happened? boring boring racism boring boring sexism THE HORROR THE HORROR *the end*

I've tried to read that book four times. Twice it was assigned. Twice because I'm a masochist and think time/age may have given me perspective on it.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I tried reading Shades of Grey, but the poor writing and editing insulted me so much I stopped reading by chapter 7 or so. I am not even sure if anyone proofread the thing, so I resented they got my money.
    You got farther than I did, I only read the free bit on amazon before running away. On the flip side, Jennifer Armintrout's recaps/reviews were highly entertaining. It's like getting the story plus a heaping serving of hate for the story.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth. The most egotistical, non-revolutionary despite it's claims, babbling, hunk of self-important BS I've ever read.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

"As I Lay Dieing" I had to read it in High School.

2 members found this post helpful.

The Great Gatsby was never a fave book of mine.

Beowulf was horrid in high school and honestly I still dont want to read it.

50 Shades made me so upset. I just wanted to slap the people on amazon who raved about it. That is $7.99 badly spent. If I read "oh, my" in any book now I just auto roll my eyes.

Kiddowed: a story about a woman who makes the same stupid choice twice watches both the children die and then b*tches about it for the rest of the book. I couldnt finish it.

The Stranger I could never really grow to like. I read it in high school and in college and I never enjoyed it.

Twilight. Just could not get through the darn book.

Most books I disliked were from high school and were mandatory. I usually can tell if I like a book from the back and the first chapter.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by hastyreply View Post
    "As I Lay Dieing" I had to read it in High School.
    This is the only book in recent history that I read and truly did.not.like. Utterly depressing, no bright points, one bad thing after another. I know I "missed" the point of the book, or what the author was trying to express, (if lots of people love Faulkner I must be doing something wrong!).

I know there are others on COTH that like this book, and I know that I just didn't get it. But its the first book that comes to mind for this thread.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

2 members found this post helpful.

For well-written erotica, try Anais Nin.

5 members found this post helpful.

Twilight. Ugh. Horrid.

As a student? A Separate Peace and Lord of the Flies.

And here is a bit of heresy for ya: I LOATHE Jane Austen. I feel like I was born without some educated woman gene but I cannot lie.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm not a fan of Austen either.

I'm laughing so hard at your siggy JoZ- I -almost- fell for it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Great Expectations, read out loud in my 9th grade English class. All time, most hated book.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant