The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any vegans out there?? How was your thanksgiving?

I've been a vegan for so long that my parents (who cook) are used to it, and I don't miss a thing during the Thanksgiving meal.
    DH is always THRILLED to go to the in-laws for Thanksgiving/ Christmas just b/c they have "real" food.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

lots of ziti w/marinara sauce. and salad.

Stuffing (wild rice, chestnuts, mushrooms, onions, parsley, celery, cubed stuffing mix, new balance marg, etc), gravy (mushroom and nutritional yeast) and tofuturkey (I like whitewave wheat meat better but can't get it in Georgia), home grown sweet potatoes with dried cranberries and cooked in orange juice plus other yummy stuff. Very traditional but vegan -most of the meat eaters gobbled up ours faster than their own... they didn't know the difference except mine tasted better... But I have had this issue for twenty years. Now I just double my recipes because I always feed more of the meat eaters in my extended family/friendsthan they like to think...

Most of the time -I don't cook this rich. I eat a lot of legumes and greens (and I look years younger than most people over fifty and I don't think menopause is going to happen any time soon)... You know, but you really should wait for Bluey to come on here and tell us all how unhealthy "we" are... before reading my propaganda.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

3 members found this post helpful.

Any vegans or vegetarians or anyone that doesn't want to eat meat and that don't want to cook on Christmas or boxing day -come on over! I am in North GA -PM me! I have lots of family and friends and if you are lonely for vegan/vegetarian company in this isolated region -we are here! We are supportive and we love to meet new people!
    Last edited by Cielo Azure; Nov. 26, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

Oh, yes.... The title of this thread reminded me of the year my mom (during her "total nutter about all things food" stage of life promised wee little me we'd have turkey for Thanksgiving.

I was so excited to have actual meat, and OMG TURKEY!.

Then she triumphantly produced--and carved--a turkey made entirely from mashed lentils...

*sigh* (ETA: it's pretty funny now. She was so proud of the darn thing...)

I hope all ye vegans/vegetarians had a very Happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by WildBlue; Nov. 26, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
    ---------------------------

I'm not a vegan, but I've been a vegetarian for most of my life. Thanksgiving was a total carb/fat-fest for me, lol. I had acorn squash galettes, baked Brie, broccoli with Hollandaise sauce, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole (pecans/brown sugar/butter/flour topping, not marshmallows, which I don't eat b/c they contain gelatin), mashed potatoes, vegetarian stuffing, and rolls. Oh, and pecan pie and pumpkin/butterscotch/ginger cupcakes with cream cheese frosting & candied ginger. So delish!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm an an unabashed carnivore but I LOVE tofurkey!!!

My brother is a vegan, and a chef. I love his cooking. We eat great over the holidays when we're together. Looking forward to Christmas since we couldn't do Thanksgiving this year. I'm working on turning my really yummy oatmeal cookies into a vegan recipe. Any hints? The recipe (which is ANCIENT) calls for eggs, butter, and milk or buttermilk. I've been told I don't need the eggs and I can use Smart Balance and soy or almond milk. Any other tips?

1 members found this post helpful.

My SIL and her SO are vegan but not strict. We had roasted butternut squash soup, salad, peas, asparagus, greenbean casserole and broccoli slaw then for the ovo lacto vegetarian dishes mashed potatoes w real butter (so not quite vegetarian even but we asked and they said oh no real butter would be fine), a pumpkin that DH stuffed with dressing and baked, boiled onions in a light cream sauce and then we carnivores brought turkey with stuffing. For beverage we had Martinelli's Sparkling apple cider, I was amazed to find that here. I'd love to get a little more creative next time and try the tofurkey or other.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Far from a vegan but I thoroughly enjoyed my vegetarian thanksgiving:

sweet potato casserole with a brown sugar topping, squash casserole, corn soufflé, cheddar cheese biscuits, macaroni and cheese, stuffing, mushroom gravy, vegetarian shepherds pie with lentils and roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie for dessert.

It was decadent and I ate 3x as much I needed to with absolutely no regrets.

Next year I want to tackle a tofu turkey. Any suggestions?

I'm vegetarian, but realized my Thanksgiving dinner was entirely vegan; chickpea cutlets, mashed potatoes with Earth Balance and soy milk, stuffing (boxed from the health food store) gravy from recipe off a Tofurkey box and roasted brussel sprouts. My mom did bring a pumpkin pie, but I didn't eat any of it. It was yummy!

OK, for those of you who eat and like Tofurky, what's the secret?

I'm not vegetarian, but my sister was, and one year when it was just me, Mom, and sis, we decided to try something different just for grins.

Thank goodness we had lots of side dishes. We knew something was amiss when the roasting tofurkey made the kitchen smell like dirty feet. Mom's a good cook; she knows how to follow directions and did so carefully. Normally she's a little creative, usually with good results, but since she was a tofurkey newb she played it safe.

When "carved", it looked as if someone had tried to make a turkey out of Silly Putty. It was sort of gray on the inside, which is not generally an appetizing color for food, and it was rubbery. But we all gamely dug in - we tried, really tried. I added some fresh horseradish and that didn't help.

Finally we all gave up; my sister (who hated it more than anyone) made a meal from sides and I raided the fridge for some deli roast beef.

The "drumsticks" that came with it were passable, if a bit dry. BBQ sauce helped a lot.

It was probably the most fun I've ever had at Thanksgiving, though, as the hilarity made it well worth it.

Oh, and that sucker was EXPENSIVE! The dogs found it tasty, though.

I never buy the tofu turkey "kit" - that stuff is gross. I use the roast tofu turkey slices (found where tofu is kept at the store). Then I make my own stuffing stuffing, cook in oven until it has a nice crispy finish to the top of it and then just before serving, -I roll up the tofu turkey slices and place them on the stuffing - so it looks like slices. I put back in the oven for just a minute or two to heat (if longer, with foil on). I make my own gravy. If I don't buy slices, I use wheat meat (seitan) or another fake meat source but I cook those on the stove top and place to the side of the stuffing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    OK, for those of you who eat and like Tofurky, what's the secret?

I'm not vegetarian, but my sister was, and one year when it was just me, Mom, and sis, we decided to try something different just for grins.

Thank goodness we had lots of side dishes. We knew something was amiss when the roasting tofurkey made the kitchen smell like dirty feet. Mom's a good cook; she knows how to follow directions and did so carefully. Normally she's a little creative, usually with good results, but since she was a tofurkey newb she played it safe.

When "carved", it looked as if someone had tried to make a turkey out of Silly Putty. It was sort of gray on the inside, which is not generally an appetizing color for food, and it was rubbery. But we all gamely dug in - we tried, really tried. I added some fresh horseradish and that didn't help.

Finally we all gave up; my sister (who hated it more than anyone) made a meal from sides and I raided the fridge for some deli roast beef.

The "drumsticks" that came with it were passable, if a bit dry. BBQ sauce helped a lot.

It was probably the most fun I've ever had at Thanksgiving, though, as the hilarity made it well worth it.

Oh, and that sucker was EXPENSIVE! The dogs found it tasty, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    I'm not a vegan, but I've been a vegetarian for most of my life. (pecans/brown sugar/butter/flour topping, not marshmallows, which I don't eat b/c they contain gelatin),!
    Hey, just FYI, but they DO make vegetarian marshmallows! They're pretty pricey, but you can find them at Whole Foods/other natural foods places. But they taste just the same.

Marshmallows are also really, really easy to make at home, too!

I don't like them for anything but camp fire roasting and on my sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving, so I tend to just splurge and buy the vegetarian bagged ones.