The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Woodbury is slated for a TON of development. It makes me sick to my stomach, but close to 2000 acres will be full of POS McMansions (& the town is just thrilled to death, thinking it will bring in tax $, never thinking about the COST of all these shit houses).

Anyway, the point is that soon it will be even harder to find boarding situations in east Metro, esp Woodbury, as the land gets (and I never use this term lightly) raped. Expect smaller turnouts & more expensive board.

Maybe this place will just sell out, as there is certainly more cash in real estate than horse boarding.

JLK, hope you are hanging in there!

2 members found this post helpful.

He dropped more then 400 pounds and you waited until now to move him? Seems strange to me.

5 members found this post helpful.

It took time to evaluate if there was something medically wrong with him. ... alcers ect. Also... like I've stated before I started taking things in my own hands... he has sense put on wieght.
    Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    He dropped more then 400 pounds and you waited until now to move him? Seems strange to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by AA714 View Post
    This isn't my style and I dont like to trash talk. I cannot keep my mouth shut about this place in Woodbury MN. For MN horse boarders ... stay away.

I'm newer to the Twin Cities and know very few horse people out here so getting advice wasn't an option.
    What about visiting prospective places before making a decision? Or was that not an option too?
    I bought my horse in September and moved him to this facility (not sure if I'm allowed to say the name?) He's dropped at least 400 lbs, he hasn't had water in his paddock for the past 4 days! He's supposed to get 4 flakes at night ... he gets 2. He's been injured, cut up ect because the electric isn't on. Horses litterally walk through fences. I've had to supply all my own grain. I've been buying most of my own hay that they've been feeding to the rest of the barn. I've pulled out moldy hay numerous times from his stall.
    Have you bothered to document any of this with both a written narrative and photographs/video?
    It took them 2 weeks to fix his waterer in his stall.
    and during that interim you/they did what?
    The barn manager knows basic care... thats it! The owner never comes out the barn to check on them.... she lives on the property.
    So? How do you know the owner never goes out to the barn? You there 24/7?
    They have horrible herd managment. The aggressive horses are thrown in with the more passive. So the passive are beat up all day long and chased from the moldy round bails.
    Maybe being chased away from moldy hay isn't such a bad deal........
    There are horses on the property that haven't been wormed sense June.
    You mean 'de-wormed', right?

I supply my own grain.....
    Why?
    its clearly written in tubs with my horses name, day, am and pm and they still dont feed him correctly.
    How so?
    If a horse isn't under weight there.... its because they are on Amplify.
    That your professional opinion?
    There is no vet schedule. No farrier schedule.
    So what? You got a phone and a voice? Deal with it yourself.
    Horses collic all the time (bad hay). Half the barn is currently lame (figure that out).

I was there 3 weeks before I gave my 60 (yes 60) day notice. This was also my first boarding experience. I always was able to keep them at my house. Boy ... I sure learned my lesson.
    Well, you gave notice, I assume your board is paid, so why are you still there? Didyou sign a boarding contract? Do you have a copy of it? Have they fulfilled the terms of the contract? Can you document your claims and their alleged 'failures'?
    I feel its my obligation as a horse owner to let others know.
    I wonder what they other side of the story might be?..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjiWS__Mp0
    Last edited by Rick Burten; Nov. 27, 2012 at 06:12 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

Did you see the place and horses on it before you signed up?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If you bought your horse in September, how do you know there are horses who haven't been dewormed since June? Did someone tell you that or do you mean you have been at this crapastic boarding facility since September, 2011?

I, too, sense something strange about this post. Or perhaps we're dealing with another helpless 15 yo with clueless parents (see the recent choke thread)? If my horse was losing a lot of weight, being fed moldy hay, getting beat up on regularly and had no water available for weeks, I wouldn't be paying for ulcer workups and other alleged diagnotics to determine why the horse was 400# underweight. Nope, I think I could have figured that one out on my own and would have been out-a-there pronto, contract or no contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    Woodbury is slated for a TON of development. ...

Maybe this place will just sell out, as there is certainly more cash in real estate than horse boarding.
    The place referred to is in part of Woodbury intended to be "rural residential" - basically, parcels too small for developers to want (but of course, if a developer does want it, it could be developed. Sewer's sized to extend to there if warranted; it just isn't in the current plans). So it's safe from development for the next ten years.

We're not quite in the section just opened up for development (that's across the street from us). But we figure on five to seven years to go. And when sewer and water is extended here, we're out - we'll make a lot on the land if we sell out, but we'll lose it all if we hold off and have to pay the assessments. Hippolyta, you're right about the city's attitude. We met with a city planner, who couldn't comprehend any possibility other than that we were eager for development.

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    We met with a city planner, who couldn't comprehend any possibility other than that we were eager for development.
    Sprawl really, really stirs me up. Hope everything works out for you.

Also... I trailered in and no one asked for my coggins. They still haven't asked. I'm also 100% sure that some horses haven't been vaccinated in quite some time.
    I have only boarded at one barn in my life that requested to see my negative coggins when I showed up with my horse. This is not a red flag to me. Neither is your assumption on vaccinations.

Might I also add...... They bring horses in for dinner at 2:30
    How is this a good or bad thing? What is the point you are trying to make with this?
    All I get from it is that they do feed dinner, which some what goes against the theory that they are totally neglectful.

I've had to supply all my own grain. I've been buying most of my own hay that they've been feeding to the rest of the barn. I've pulled out moldy hay numerous times from his stall.
    So you are providing his food and he is still losing weight and this is some how their fault that you are providing moldy hay?

It took them 2 weeks to fix his waterer in his stall.
    One has to assume that since your horse is still alive that he did not go two weeks with no water at all so even though the waterer was broken he was still provided with a water source.

My non-shedders go from spring to late fall with out being de-wormed. Current de-worming protocols do not have you de-worming every eight weeks unless you have a horse that needs that.

There is no vet schedule. No farrier schedule.
    Even the show barn I boarded at did not have a vet and farrier schedule. The boarders called when they needed something and for vaccines we scheduled it as a group. Not having a set in stone schedule is not a sign of a poorly run barn to me.

I am not disputing that this barn might totally suck and not be a good fit for you and your horse. I am just trying to point out that if you are going to paint a picture of a bad barn leave out the drama that means nothing and only makes your facts look washed down by drama.

Giving notice only requires you to pay for the days, it does not require you to stay for those days.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I have only boarded at one barn in my life that requested to see my negative coggins when I showed up with my horse. This is not a red flag to me. Neither is your assumption on vaccinations.

How is this a good or bad thing? What is the point you are trying to make with this?
    All I get from it is that they do feed dinner, which some what goes against the theory that they are totally neglectful.

So you are providing his food and he is still losing weight and this is some how their fault that you are providing moldy hay?

One has to assume that since your horse is still alive that he did not go two weeks with no water at all so even though the waterer was broken he was still provided with a water source.

My non-shedders go from spring to late fall with out being de-wormed. Current de-worming protocols do not have you de-worming every eight weeks unless you have a horse that needs that.

Even the show barn I boarded at did not have a vet and farrier schedule. The boarders called when they needed something and for vaccines we scheduled it as a group. Not having a set in stone schedule is not a sign of a poorly run barn to me.

I am not disputing that this barn might totally suck and not be a good fit for you and your horse. I am just trying to point out that if you are going to paint a picture of a bad barn leave out the drama that means nothing and only makes your facts look washed down by drama.

Giving notice only requires you to pay for the days, it does not require you to stay for those days.
    Yeah...I've got to agree on this. I know for sure that there are some bad, bad barns in this world, and this might be one of them. However, the reasons described by the OP for this barn being a very bad, terrible, no good place just don't make a lot of sense to me. This sounds like a lot of drama about a place that just isn't a good fit. The moldy hay thing is really confusing. It is hard to understand how the barn is simultaneously not feeding and also feeding moldy hay, particularly if it is the OP that is providing the hay.

It would be nice if the OP could come back and explain things with a lot less emotion and drama so that people can understand what is really going on here (I don't doubt there are some issues - it just seems like the OP fired something off in a fit of rage, and it is now impossible to tell what is what).

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Yeah...I've got to agree on this. I know for sure that there are some bad, bad barns in this world, and this might be one of them. However, the reasons described by the OP for this barn being a very bad, terrible, no good place just don't make a lot of sense to me. This sounds like a lot of drama about a place that just isn't a good fit. The moldy hay thing is really confusing. It is hard to understand how the barn is simultaneously not feeding and also feeding moldy hay, particularly if it is the OP that is providing the hay.

It would be nice if the OP could come back and explain things with a lot less emotion and drama so that people can understand what is really going on here (I don't doubt there are some issues - it just seems like the OP fired something off in a fit of rage, and it is now impossible to tell what is what).
    Since OP is actually moving her horse today *Woot, Woot* I can highlight on a few things since I've been talking her through most of this situation since the beginning of the downfall.

This is the first time she has ever boarded a horse- she was out of horses for many years and also has two small children. She found the barn and from the general "pop by for a visit" it seemed fine and the price of board was alright. ( she originally intended to pasture board the horse). Plus- the police horses are there so one would think that there would be some semblance of control. I believe the first incident happened when the herd dynamic ended with herhorse being injured and having to be brought in and put on stall board. The agressor in the field has injured numerous horses ( including fracturing the ribs of one a few days later) and the herd has not been changed. The barn feeds your bottom basement 10% pellet so the OP decided to purchase her own feed and label it for the horse in baggies for each day- this would have been fine but there have been constant errors in the feeding- often times resulting in her horse only recieving one bag of grain (generally the one that didn't include his supplements)- and after she was packing her things last night- noticed that he did not recieve his Saturday Evening feed . The watering situation has been ongoing- horses have automatic waterers but the automatic waterers do not work correctly which leaves horses without water. The automatic waterers that are in the pastures have not been working and the barn manager/workers have not been giving those horses water outside the entire day ( which as any horse person knows is a huge no-no). the OP and another boarder were schlepping water to outside horses who were drinking it by the bucket from them. As for the mold hay- Barn manager/worker did not check the hay in the stalls one evening ( OP actually pays EXTRA to have extra hay given to her horse) OP went to ride and noticed the hay was moldy in not only her stall but many stalls down the barn. She naturally as any of us removed the hay.

As many of us operate on a budget- pulling a horse after paying 2months worth of board to go to another place and pay their board as well is not always in the cards... One has to deal with it and hopefully with the help of others ( there were 3 other horses leaving the facility today as well) make it through the time period. The barn owner has taken people to court.

She is not the only one from this barn in this predicament- a friend of hers who she met at this barn is also pulling her horse for the same reasons today. I believe the barn has lost 6 horses this month.

I know I am missing several things that have gone on but since there have been so many questions I thought I would touch the basics... For what it is worth .

We live and we learn. It's easy to sit here where I am now, after probably having been at a dozen different boarding barns over the past 25 years (maybe more!) and say those red flags should have been easy to spot. But if I think back to when I bought my first horse, it was not that obvious and I had some hairy scenarios as well. My advice to the OP--make a list of the things you feel are "dealbreakers" or "must haves" for every barn you look at, and make that list REASONABLE. There *is* no perfect barn unless it is sitting on your own property, and staffed by you. Never compromise on safety, but be willing to see and acknowledge that unless you are spending HUGE dollars, every little bell and whistle and luxury is hard to find. Good luck at the new place!
    Click here before you buy.

7 members found this post helpful.

This may stir up some stuff, but:
    Seems to me that worming, vet, and farrier are the horse owner's problem. You don't expect your daycare to take you kid in for their shots and dental appointments, do you?
    How on earth could you let your horse lose that much weight and not do anything about it after the first few pounds are noticed?
    Seems the horse owner is also neglectful here.
    Yes it is nice if a barn offers the first services I mentioned as a convenience, but really it is your responsibility and your fault that if what you say is true that you left your horse there so long.

I have always considered vet, farrier, deworming my responsibility when I've boarded, but there are barns where vet and farrier appointments are arranged on the barn's schedule, and perhaps this is what the OP was used to or expecting. Show me the horse owner who gets absolutely everything just right in their first couple of years of ownership!

6 members found this post helpful.

Though my place is small I do fecals on all the horses and worm accordingly. Also all horses are vaccinated at the same time. Boarders are informed of this when they come to board here. If they have a legitimate reason I will use a dewormer of their choice.

I dunno. If my horse ended up at a place that was essentially "starving" him and not providing continual access to water you would pretty much have to have a gun to my temple before I would even consider staying another day or two.

Then again, I am fiercely protective of the 4-legged creatures I am responsible for...and the claws will and do come out when necessary
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

When I moved to MI, I was set up with a place that when visited, looked good. BO talked a good game. The very NIGHT I had my horses delivered, I knew I was in trouble. I started looking immediately.

It culminated in abuse to horses, assault, court, etc. Even the best laid plans can turn out like crap--in DAYS. Not weeks or years. Later on, I met several other people who had had similar experiences. So it wasn't just me.

Crap happens. You get out and you move on. Best wishes, OP.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I have always considered vet, farrier, deworming my responsibility when I've boarded, but there are barns where vet and farrier appointments are arranged on the barn's schedule, and perhaps this is what the OP was used to or expecting. Show me the horse owner who gets absolutely everything just right in their first couple of years of ownership!
    Amen to that! I moved to self-care just over a year ago, thinking, "Hey, I've had horses for years and each time did partial-care. I can handle this, right?" Hahahahaha. Suurrrrrre.

There is a fully unexpected learning curve to adapting in any barn, for sure. At my first barn, the vet/farrier/chiro/float just appeared. Sometimes I wouldn't even know about it until after the fact! At my second barn, I was partially in control- if I needed something, I'd email the BO, and chances were good she needed it too, and she'd go ahead and schedule and hold horses during the appointment. Current barn, we have a farrier schedule if we want to use the regular guy, but otherwise, we're welcome to call whomever to do whatever. The BO is happy to help out if she's free, but otherwise, it's our call.

Point being- the worming/farrier/vet/vaccination thing isn't something to take for granted. It really depends on how it's outlined in the contract. If the contract says, "Farrier Fran will be onsite every 6 weeks and your horse will be included in farrier care unless BO is notified 24 hours prior to the appointment," then yes, it is a problem to not have farrier care. If you mentioned "hey, Ponykins is over due for a trim and balance- is the farrier coming out soon?" and you were told "yes, he'll be here on Tuesday," and lo, but Tuesday comes and goes with nary a farrier, then yes, that's also a problem on their part. But if there were no stipulations on farrier care, I would clarify with the BO that it is my responsibility, and take care of it. I would probably be very concerned that BO is not taking care of their own horses, but I would keep up on my schedule on my own time.

3 members found this post helpful.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I have always considered vet, farrier, deworming my responsibility when I've boarded, but there are barns where vet and farrier appointments are arranged on the barn's schedule, and perhaps this is what the OP was used to or expecting.
    Since, by her own admission, this was her first boarding experience, she could not have been used to having the barn schedule farrier/vet appointments. And why, if it was not discussed with the BO or already in the boarding contract, should she have been expecting it? ??
    Show me the horse owner who gets absolutely everything just right in their first couple of years of ownership!
    Agreed. That said, the entire post smacked of HOLLYWOOD and the 'Woe is me" soap opera.

John Wayne was right when he observed "If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough....."

Since, by her own admission, this was her first boarding experience, she could not have been used to having the barn schedule farrier/vet appointments.
    Not if she took lessons or leased for years and years (like I did) in barns where there were different "styles" of managing farrier, vet, etc.